Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker Contest - Xi and Crooked Bee win!

GOTY a.k.a. RPG MAKER contest

• Total voters

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
cya next year plebs!
January seems like a nice time for the second edition, free from exams and holidays.

Why so long from now? August is a fine month to relax and do a little RPG Maker game, too!

(I could even do Episode 2 of the Grimoire Scrolls Saga - pretty sure Cleve will give me a lot to go by by that point!)

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oh. my. god. A whopping 11 people voted for me, so that must mean I won the popular vote!!

Thanks goes to everyone who enjoyed my first effort at vidya game development :) (With special thanks to Cleveland Mark Blakemore for timeless inspiration)

Now all that's left is for eric_s to post his knowledgeable analysis in this thread (or PM me with it) so I can make a front page post!
I've played and written about half of them, I'm going to finish up the rest tonight when I'm done with my work.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh, you better... otherwise that positive review about Barkley 2 in my book will turn into a rant about how a ableist bastard you guys are, not featuring a single disabled B-ball player in your game.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, you better... otherwise that positive review about Barkley 2 in my book will turn into a rant about how a ableist bastard you guys are, not featuring a single disabled B-ball player in your game.

"Why Does Barkley 2 Only Feature Able-Bodied B-Ball Players?", guest written by Kotaku editorial board. :P

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Broseph's game, Dawkins kicked my ass, didn't finish.
The entire game is an allegory for how liberalism always wins, that's why random encounters are so difficult and the first and final fights are unwinnable. :dance:

Were you able to actually finish it? I tried several times and quit thinking it was impossible.
The only ending is that you lose to Lord Athe. If you were able to somehow win it immediately returns you to the title screen.

Xi

Arcane
The only ending is that you lose to Lord Athe. If you were able to somehow win it immediately returns you to the title screen.

You probably could defeat athe if you spent hours upon hours grinding. After about 45 mins, I had attained level 17 with medium grade gear. He still one shot me though (But barely, I could almost survive another turn). I figure with more levels and more gear, I could eventually beat him. (Just not worth it though ;P )

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

You probably could defeat athe if you spent hours upon hours grinding. After about 45 mins, I had attained level 17 with medium grade gear. He still one shot me though (But barely, I could almost survive another turn). I figure with more levels and more gear, I could eventually beat him. (Just not worth it though ;P )
I boosted all his stats to the absolute max so I doubt it. :)

Also, Nuclear is his only move so you'd have to survive 2000+ points of damage every turn.

Xi

Arcane

I boosted all his stats to the absolute max so I doubt it. :)

Also, Nuclear is his only move so you'd have to survive 2000+ points of damage every turn.

What are his hitpoints?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hey, sorry for taking such a long time with this. I played all the games except Mastermind's, whose game wouldn't download, and here are my thoughts on all of them. I wrote my thoughts as I played the game so they are kind of awful and stream of consciousness, but hopefully you get something out of them -

felipepepe's game

m-multiple endings...
pretty small, did I miss something?
Liked the map!
Even though the game was really short (I think?) I liked the general feeling and atmosphere. Coming of age and first adventure is always a fav.
Can interact with background stuff, which is always fun.

Xu Fugui Ski Free

feel like I recognize this music from somewhere. . . . . . . .
You can beat the troll!!
dang is Cyrillic a standard font???

Crooked Bee

gatdam why is the file size so fuckin big
Really good custom skills
b-battle events. . .
Lots of background props to interact with.
Laughed at "its bourgeois character aside" on the park bench
Neanderthal sense
Almost cruel at times???
this is fuckin good
pizza in the flowers
Great riddles, great puzzles, good ending

Bugs
------------
You can walk through wall tile on the puzzle three spaces to the left of the bookshelves. Maybe a bug???

xu fugui Dev Stone Soup

characters go on and on
you can interact with a lot of stuff, which is cool
so much fucking lore
pretty much not reading anymore
i got the key from helping that rich guy. apparently there's another way to get it? that's c00l
ending slides

Xi Dark Path

class choice, time system.... i'm a cursed witch
stealing
reputation system
multiple dialogue choices
the guards killed me for cursing at a merchant
lots of shit going on, this seems pretty cool
good map, space is used well, lots of things in it, it looks nice.
you can sneak into the mayor's house
this is good!
i can't fight any battles because my dudes has no spells
can't win any battles
i like consoletard's grave
it seems like there's a lot going on and this is very cool, but I just can't win any battles and move things forward. I want to play this again when it's more developed.

broseph Escape From Liberal Hell

i like the character writeups in their profiles
sheek has a good portrait
battles go on for fucking ever
left liberal to his fate
dungeon seems fairly non-linear? that's c00l
fucking grinding
i wanted to plow the son's hole
dawkins...

Niektory Out of Element

optional intro
warmth and freeze skills pretty cool
the way you alter the environment is great
not sure i can beat this one!
Yeah, I can't finish this one. Got to the third elemental but my characters' healths were too low to continue. I'm bad at the game, but it's very cool.

Zed's game

Pretty funny
GREAT BATTLE MUSIC!!!
awesome battle sprites - great Prosper sprites + fat Fargo ogre made me laugh
I like that you get exp just from doing things + talking to people sometimes
BAD FUCKIN MAPS
It's good that paralyze actually works on bosses

Bugs
------------
- Can stick your hand in the forge as much as you want for more potions.
- Paralyze doesn't attack every enemy, just the one targeted. No idea if that's how it's supposed to work or not.

So it was kind of a toss up for me. Crooked Bee's game did a lot of very good stuff, especially the puzzle, Neanderthal sense and the multiple endings, but I think the game I'd most want to play if these were all fully developed is Xi's. Even though I couldn't finish it, I was really impressed with all the stuff that was going on in it. There were side quests, character creation, reputation, a time system, a non-linear structure, all sorts of things going on. It was really impressive. I just need to figure out how to beat battles.

Anyway, I had fun playing these, I enjoyed them all, I don't know why Mastermind's game wouldn't download so sorry I missed that one.

Why the hell are RPG Maker files so fucking big these days?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why the hell are RPG Maker files so fucking big these days?
There are two file sizes; you can exporte a very small file that requires having RPG Maker on your PC, and there's the +200mb version that is stand alone.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, glad you liked. And yeah, it's very small indeed, I could only put around 6 hours of work into the mod.... :?

Crooked Bee

Patron
this is fuckin good
:love:

Ooh, that's pretty cool - glad you enjoyed my game's puzzles, endings, and interactions. Brainstorming them all during the first day was pretty fun! The custom skills were p. hilarious to design/come up with, too, even if I didn't really have the time to balance them properly.

My congratulations to Xi - his game is definitely the most ambitious one of the bunch, and the one that could be a properly "full-fledged" RPG when finished. Mine wasn't even intended to be a "finished" game, just a little Cleve-themed diversion, so his victory is more than well-deserved.

The thing you mentioned must be a bug, yeah.

I wonder what you meant by
Almost cruel at times???
though? You mean the Neanderthal Sense leading you to a "bad" ending?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom