Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG in making - can I get some advice, please?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The advice I'll give you is to ignore all advice. As someone whose first project was derailed by well-meaning advice from people who weren't part of the development, I can promise you that the only thing that the advice does is make it harder to reach your goal. Don't change your vision to suit what other people tell you that you need to do. Make the game you want to make in the way that you want to make it, and don't make any apologies about that. When you do that, two things will happen:

1) It will become something you are passionate about, and you will put in your best effort.
2) Others who have similar tastes will find your game and enjoy it. It may not appeal to millions, but it could appeal to hundreds. That's not a bad place to start.

The only feedback you should accept is from people who playtest and only about bugs or things that hampered their experience.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
..not much of gaming related, but:

1. ignore the naysayers
2. be positive on others and respect your work

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I might ask, what are/were you working on? Any links, videos or game names I could check out, or play?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-in-gms-2-demo-available.118904/#post-5548407

There was an old demo, but I took it down because literally everything has been changed. I hope to release in 2 or 3 months as the art assets are produced and I finish the writing, but another issue is that I don't actually have any audio right now. If anyone reading this knows a great and affordable audio guy, or package of audio assets they recommend, let me know.

Here is the old, neutral description that was on the itch.io page which I just took down:

Thesiad is a story-driven RPG that merges Choose-Your-Own-Adventure text events with old school action RPG combat. This is an early demo/prototype that consists of the core gameplay without the final art/sound assets and polish. This game ultimately seeks to achieve the following:

1. Present the story of Theseus in a way that is faithful to the primary source texts.

2. Allow the player to make meaningful decisions and change the story of Theseus' journey to Athens.

The gameplay consists of three parts:

1. Overworld: Explore towns while traveling to Athens.

2. Text Events: Make meaningful decisions and see historical illustrations.

3. Battle: Real-time combat against a variety of opponents. note: this has changed, it is now turn-based combat

The demo consists of the first town, Troezen. Other locations are currently in development. With feedback, testing, and support, I hope to finish the other locations by the end of the year and then start improving the graphics, sound, and core mechanics until it is ready for a commercial release.

Credits will be added in complete versions of the game, but needless to say I am very thankful for everyone who has provided their feedback and support. Special thanks also to the people who have selflessly created GMS 2 tutorials and sample code (Benjamin Anderson, Beyond Us Games, and Noobs We Stand, especially), and to the ancient authors and scribes who wrote down and preserved the stories depicted in this game.

Looks good. Anywhere on Twitter/Facebook I can follow you?

No, I've been neglecting that side of the process. Apart from a thread here and the itch.io page that has since been deleted, there shouldn't be anything online. Given how important it can be, I should probably get on it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the game for an hour or so today, I liked what I saw. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that I needed to equip the dagger (when you pick it up, the sword icon appears for the first time, so I thought it was good to go), so I wound up losing the first fight several times before I realised my mistake. The plot reminds me of PST, but it is interesting and the writing is concise. I enjoyed the bear quest. I got crushed by the shield beast and the fight where you go in against 2 void mothers and a huge horde of creatures. I think there's an unfinished memory somewhere if I backtrack, but I decided to give it a break for now.

Anyway, combat is enjoyable and the card mechanics make sense. I don't see the point of agility, though; am I missing something, or do ranged weapons not exist at this point? I just dump all my stats into intelligence so I can get more and better cards. No idea what a "fuel" card is, or what "focus" does. You should definitely finish and release this game, I would pay for a polished version of what I saw.

Also, purge seems incredibly weak.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are there any videos of it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom