Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Concept Brainstorming: The "Museum", the theme park's highbrow counterpart

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most people on this forum probably know what "theme park design" is. A theme park is a world full of AWESOME locations with AWESOME quests. These locations and quests don't really fit together into a coherent setting, don't have anything to tell you, and don't really have any connection with each other. Such games are called theme parks because playing them feels like you're travelling from "ride" to mindless ride. Stupid and artificial.

But what if they're not stupid? That's when you get what you might call "museum design". In a museum world, locations and quests do make sense and form a coherent, sensible world. Isn't that just normal, good design, you might ask? No, because it still shares one quality with the theme park - it feels artificial.

How do you a recognize a museum? It's when you play an RPG and all the quests feel like obvious lore "exhibits". "Oh, I get it, this is the quest that shows you the consequences of the War of X." "Ah, here's the quest that introduces faction Y, I was expecting that."

Museum design isn't a terrible thing - it's better than a theme park. Some people might even prefer it. It may just be a theoretical construct - I'm not sure if there's ever been a game that fully felt like one. RPGs are generally pretty good about giving you a few lore-agnostic quests to make things feel more natural. There's lore-heavy quests, but they're interspersed with fetch quests and random heroics.

But as the genre enters a new age, with more titles aimed at a higher-brow, more hardcore audience, this may be something to watch for.

Neanderthal

Arcane
UU2: Labyrinth of Worlds sometimes had a bit o this feelin for me, but I think avoided it too much wi notion o guardian touchin all these worlds in some manner.

Shin

Cipher
If a game lacks in the story/lore/immurshion department, it'd better have great combat. Else, fuck that game. Having said that, I still think it's very possible to create a classic RPG while taking the 'exhibit' analogy to the extreme; think of having a (theoretical) game where you travel through multiple periods of European history for instance; could be awesome if done well. And a lot of classic (top ten RPG codex material) RPG's do have a lot of 'exhibit' quests to explore lore, heck, depending on your exact definition I'd say perhaps most quest could be described as such by someone feeling very edgy. At the end of the day I think it's really a non-issue if said quests are presented in such a way that it's not too obvious you're dealing with 'exhibit A: lore about the awesome dragon commander' etc. and they give a sense of coherence.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is this like a counter-point to my article on how RPGs should use more economy & politics to deliver a cohesive setting instead of relying on lore & theme parks? +M

Anyway, I don't get the point of this - it's just "Theme Park Design done Right"? Seems like a contradiction. "Theme Park design" was never about the quest quality, but its disconnection to the rest of the game. That Haunted House quest in Skyrim was fun, but it had nothing to do with the rest of the game - it's Theme Park design.

The only qualifier I can think is when the game is entirely structured around vising multiple worlds - Ultima Underworld 2, the KOTOR games, Faery - Legends of Avalon... it makes more sense as a whole than something like Dragon Age: Origins, but it's really just the same Theme Park design with a bit of context thrown in.

duanth123

Arcane
But as the genre enters a new age, with more titles aimed at a higher-brow, more hardcore audience

This is what Infinitron actually believes.

On topic, I predict TTON will fit this museum-park or "mu-park" design as it will eventually become known in the tongue of the high brow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this like a counter-point to my article on how RPGs should use more economy & politics to deliver a cohesive setting instead of relying on lore & theme parks? +M

Nope. It's actually something that came to my mind while thinking about the sidequests in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, of all things.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most people on this forum probably know what "theme park design" is. A theme park is a world full of AWESOME locations with AWESOME quests. These locations and quests don't really fit together into a coherent setting, don't have anything to tell you, and don't really have any connection with each other. Such games are called theme parks because playing them feels like you're travelling from "ride" to mindless ride. Stupid and artificial.

But what if they're not stupid? That's when you get what you might call "museum design". In a museum world, locations and quests do make sense and form a coherent, sensible world. Isn't that just normal, good design, you might ask? No, because it still shares one quality with the theme park - it feels artificial.

How do you a recognize a museum? It's when you play an RPG and all the quests feel like obvious lore "exhibits". "Oh, I get it, this is the quest that shows you the consequences of the War of X." "Ah, here's the quest that introduces faction Y, I was expecting that."

Museum design isn't a terrible thing - it's better than a theme park. Some people might even prefer it. It may just be a theoretical construct - I'm not sure if there's ever been a game that fully felt like one. RPGs are generally pretty good about giving you a few lore-agnostic quests to make things feel more natural. There's lore-heavy quests, but they're interspersed with fetch quests and random heroics.

But as the genre enters a new age, with more titles aimed at a higher-brow, more hardcore audience, this may be something to watch for.

It feels artificial if done wrong. If you have NPCs that offer you a job and proceed to info dump on you entire past of their faction and their motivations that would be dumb. Its not dumb when you get info about the world and quests from snippets of natural conversations, the world presentation itself and scattered lore bits in form of something like diaries or notes you find. Basically if you spread out lore in such a way that you need to actually find much of it on your own instead of developers shoving it down your throat its not a bad design.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
PoE felt to me like museum design. Most of the quests were designed just to tell you more about the lore and background, and wouldn't stand on their own feet otherwise. The infodumpy writing didn't help, too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think games with "museum design" might be more likely to have loredumps, but not all games with loredumps are museums.

I would not consider PoE a museum. For example, it has quests like "save the cook from bandits" or "help kid buy a knife" that aren't in service to lore. I guess it's closer to being one than BG, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom