Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Feb 6, 2014.

1. IncendiaryDevice Arcane

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I recommend you read all the codex threads about it before purchase. Just for expectation management if you're still determined to buy it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    You wouldn't buy anything then...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. IncendiaryDevice Arcane

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Watch it you, or I'll get Lurker King to refute that... and nobody wants that!

^ Top  
  4. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Thanks, I read a review that said it was lots of reading, and like early Diablo combat with no strategy. Basically all the things I hate. So I removed from wishlist.

^ Top  
  5. Reapa Doom Preacher

Reapa
    Parrots:
    wait, what? you thought it was hack and slash?

^ Top  
  6. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Yea, I read the steam reviews and it sounds like ass:

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. mushaden Educated

mushaden
    Parrots:
    Not sure if there's a general "recommend me an RPG thread," but here's my situation: I've just finished Wizardry 7. It's been one of the most frustrating games I've played, but I enjoyed it and am glad I played it. I want to play something newer (where inventory management isn't tedious, for example). I've played most of the 1998-2002 classics. Right now I'm thinking either Divinity: Original Sin or KOTOR. Shadowrun: Dragonfall also looks like a good option. I've even had impure urges to try Trails in The Sky. Underrail and AoD I have already played.

I'd appreciate any input

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    D:OS is fine but you can skip to D:OS II.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is really good.

Any of the Expeditions series.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    Get Blackguards right now, amazing game. Then play Aarklash Legacy. Then play Might & Magic X: Legacy. And then after you finish that, get Divinity Original Sin 2, hopefully it has had a bunch of patches and mods by then. And then sometime you should get Legend of Grimrock 2 and install the Magic of Grimrock mod. And then if you loved Blackguards, get Blackguards 2. Ignore all reviews and what anyone on codex says (except me).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    Take this with a bucket of salt as I haven't personally played it yet, but from watching Divinity: OS 2 it's the closest we have gotten to a turn-based Ultima 7 without schedules and with more linearity. Even with those dampers, it seems great. Even the weird Belgium-style humor that I hated in the other Divinity games has been, well, not removed, but dialed down back enough that I can actually enjoy the writing, odd as it might be at times.

Don't play Divinity: OS 1 though. You don't need to, and it's all around just boring in my opinion, with lots of awkward jokes that are funny only to other Belgians. That said -- it's /still/ the best big Kickstarter RPG, certainly better than WL 2, PoE, Torment 2.0.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    In that case, stay away from either DOS games. It's horrible there, and the Diablo-style loot treadmill means you'll spend nearly half the time shuffling stuff between inventories.
    Shadowruns, on the other hand, don't have any inventory management whatsoever: you equip you characters before the mission and that's basically it. Some people here find it annoying, but personally I much prefer it over DOS hassle.
    Then there's Voidspire Tactics - it's kinda like DOS, but faster paced and with more interesting setting and better character system. I haven't played the sequel, Alvora Tactics, yet, but people seem to find it just as good.
    Lords of Xulima is the closest thing you can get to Wiz7 nowadays (Grimoire notwithstanding), and I don't remember there being any problems with the UI. It does tend to drag on in the later parts of the game, but still worth playing for the excellent first half.

^ Top  
  12. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    I'd definitely recommend Tales of Maj'Eyal. It's the RPG I played the most in the past 5 years.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    I played Blackguards 2 this year, once on normal then twice on hard. It isn't an excessively long game but anyway, it was good enough to play it 3 times in a row.
    The story was good, the writing was good, German voice overs were fantastic. As a tactical combat game it was entertaining enough to recommend it, although it's worse than BG1 in all things combat and char system.
    They made substantial changes to the system - for the worse - and didn't balance those changes well or at all. In the end the only combat moves worth having are dual wield and triple shot, which both can instagib most mobs for a fraction of the endurance costs that other moves have, whereas hammer blow does so pitiful dmg as to be completely laughable and death blow matters fuck all because wounds are useless (just like Dodge is useless) because everybody hits all the time anyway, so "debuffing enemies" doesn't work. Everything culminating in the dumbest thing I've ever seen in any RPG - the static damage of weapons, that deal the same amount of dmg each and every strike. Yeah and a bunch of bugs they never bothered to fix. But yeah, all things considered still a good game.

^ Top  
  14. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Parrots:
    I think it has lots of improvements of BG1 as well though, there were some bigger and more interesting enemies like the wraiths and stuff, some fun maps, much better gear, and the towns were much better. I also liked the story. But there were a lot of bad changes too. But still I like it, especially seeing as I bought it for about $1 on steam.

^ Top  
  15. SpaceDriftingGrimoire Literate

SpaceDriftingGrimoire
    Parrots:
    Thanks to Great Deceiver's efforts to inform people of how to properly run it on modern operating systems I've been playing (alongside a few other games from time to time)...

[​IMG]

Pretty fun turn-based/real-time hybrid party based RPG. Love the fact that you can choose from more unique races (elephant people, rat people, fairies) for party composition. While the combat seemed awkward at first, after getting used to it am finding it very engaging; sort of a best of both worlds situation, which is nice since while I prefer turn based I don't dislike Real-Time. Gives the game its own unique spin. Finished the first dungeon (Crypt) and while initially not impressed once I found out how much more there was to it that impression greatly changed. If this is just the first dungeon in the game I'm going to be looking forward to exploring the other dungeons mentioned in the posts contributors made on this list. Still has a few performance issues (framerate slowdowns in dungeons at times) but otherwise runs near flawlessly!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    Dungeon design is one of the most outstanding aspects of Wizards & Warriors. You are in for a treat.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Aphex81 Literate

Aphex81
    Parrots:
    That's the edgiest list i've ever seen.

• Edgy Edgy x 5
    • Shit Shit x 5
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Big Mutha Educated

Big Mutha
    Parrots:
    It is very cutting edge, I agree.

^ Top  
  19. IncendiaryDevice Arcane

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Big Mutha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Big Mutha Educated

Big Mutha
    Parrots:
    That cracked me up real good. Well memed, friend.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)