Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Rev

Arcane
:salute:

Hi,

I think is a good list of "some of the (near-all) best games of a lot of different sub genres with some connection with tabletop rpgs and/or pioneer rpgs" where is better to ignore the general ranking.

I enjoyed the list and the ultra-inclusivist felipepe's book and his approach to crpg analysis articles, but this general, open, inclusive perspective have some lacks too (Uncertainness, perpetuation of the "crpg" wildcard to speak of near everything and not very indicative ranking).

If you pretend to include every Might and Magic/Wizardry, every infinity engine game, every isometric dialogue/story centric rpg, turn baseds and real timers, every tactical combat product, every choose your own adventure game, Alpha Protocol, the Gothic/Risen subgenre, every open world/hiking/free roaming simulators, etc, etc, it's understandable why a lot of good old bloobers/dungeon crawlers, or newer good/mediocre open worlds "rpgs", action centered games (or new dungeon crawlers) weren't included in that list and why the ranking seems arbitrary too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Are Mass Effect and Blackguards' stories self-contained in the first games?

For example, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is very much that: a trilogy of films which are telling a continuous story. By comparison, can you play Mass Effect 1 and conclude a story, or are you expected to play all three games in a sort of "to be continued" ending? Same goes for Blackguards.

ME2, ME3 and Blackguards 2 seem to be pretty shit, but I'm a sucker for the whole "to be continued" thing.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For example, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is very much that: a trilogy of films which are telling a continuous story. By comparison, can you play Mass Effect 1 and conclude a story, or are you expected to play all three games in a sort of "to be continued" ending? Same goes for Blackguards.

ME2, ME3 and Blackguards 2 seem to be pretty shit, but I'm a sucker for the whole "to be continued" thing.
Wrong. The trilogy structure and release of the lord of the rings was for economic reasons. It was the publisher that cut it up.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Wrong. The trilogy structure and release of the lord of the rings was for economic reasons. It was the publisher that cut it up and had three seperate titles written up for them.

So...???? My cousin who saw the films said the first one ended abruptly. I think you are meant to see the three of them. By comparison, there are games with self-contained stories. You can play the first one and call it a day since the story effectively ends there. Sure, the second game may have the same characters and references to the first game, but what matters is that the first game doesn't force you to play a second one. That's basically what I'm asking.

For your own sake, please don't play Mass Effect. Just don't.

I have to, it's in the Top 70. :negative:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Let's say that the three Mass Effect games tell the stories of 3 big battles. They are self-contained in a sense but you need to play all of them to see how the war ends.

Hmm, in that case, I can live without playing the other 2. I highly doubt the story is engrossing to begin with, so...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's true. ME 2 is a lot better. I haven't been able to tolerate watching or playing ME 1 but ME 2 is at least not so bad as to be offensive to watch. And the music is nice, which counts for a lot for me.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You might as well just play the 2nd one because it's better than the first which is an abomination.
OTOH the second one is the peak of the series (apart from the end boss) so if you try to shlog through the first one later, it will be unbearable.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You might as well just play the 2nd one because it's better than the first which is an abomination.

That's true. ME 2 is a lot better. I haven't been able to tolerate watching or playing ME 1 but ME 2 is at least not so bad as to be offensive to watch. And the music is nice, which counts for a lot for me.

OTOH the second one is the peak of the series (apart from the end boss) so if you try to shlog through the first one later, it will be unbearable.

Well, fuck it. Guess I'll have to play the three ones. Thanks.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Age higher than Ultima VII and Arx Fatalis? :rpgcodex:
This, I think, was largely caused by Ultima VII being split into its two parts, and its votes being broken up. No excuse on Arx Fatalis though -- I assume there just aren't enough people who've played it and realize how awesome it was.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While many here know it I don't think most actually played Arx. I really like it; the true successor to Ultima Underworld. Very enjoyable.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Blackguards is self contained. Also don't believe the retarded reviews of BG2, it is just as good as the first game. I don't know about Mass Effect story, those games are for dude bro xbox teenagers.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
True, though a novelization of the Hobbit movies would probably work better, since there didn't seem to be all that much real material to cover. You could probably slash all of the extraneous crap and shrink it down to a short novel.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
For example, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is very much that: a trilogy of films which are telling a continuous story.

Someone should make a novelization of the movies.
I don't know, it's a series of films with lot of fantasy clichés: orcs, elves, dwarves, and wizards to name a few. A book with such content sounds incredibly unoriginal.

Blizzard not suing peter jackson still baffles me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom