Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You may now think NEO Scavenger is popular on the Codex, but it won 3rd Best RPG of 2014 with very few votes

Even then it was played by a significant amount of Codexers, though (like I said, 15 or 20 people is "significant" in my book). It's quality would show even in my system.

What I don't "like" is to base one's opinion on a game just by one user who played it and loved it. Gems don't maange to stay on the radar for too long in a forum like this one.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Bah, we can do it later. I want to get this done before the D:OS2 and Numanuma hype begins, and It's not like 2016 was a fucking awesome year anyway...

It's gonna be what... Tyranny, Dark Souls 3, Desu Ex and Dungeon Rats? Meh.
We all know that the best CRPG released in 2016 was a port of a four-year-old PS3 game with action-based combat created by a AAA Japanese company. :M

Jason Liang

Arcane
Gah. I suppose now I have to try PoE over the next few days. I had plans to spend that holiday time on the OTHER PoE:x

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, with Mass Effect: Shun announced for March, we really should do this next week, before the hype wars begin.

I just remembered that DarkUnderlord and Taluntain made a built-in voting system for last year's GOTY that we can use, so here's my proposal (tagging Infinitron for drama and Crooked Bee for editor approval):

List all RPGs, ports & translations from 2012 (year of Grimrock and the W2 Kickstarter - AKA "The start of the CRPG Renaissance") to 2016, totaling five years of incline. People vote 1-5 (or didn't play) and we number crunch them for biggest hits, hidden gems, most hated, etc.

I would like to set this up early next week (like monday), then leave it running until thee end of January.

EDIT: We can present the voting in five pages, one for each year, and then use the data for the 2016 GOTY as well.

EDIT 2: Here's the WIP list of games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Onb7VZP-AfPZ1v4OfcptZgc3TSZqjf9G4xhjO51vANU/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Nuclear Explosion

Ok, with Mass Effect: Shun announced for March, we really should do this next week, before the hype wars begin.

I just remembered that DarkUnderlord and Taluntain made a built-in voting system for last year's GOTY that we can use, so here's my proposal (tagging Infinitron for drama and Crooked Bee for editor approval):

List all RPGs, ports & translations from 2012 (year of Grimrock and the W2 Kickstarter - AKA "The start of the CRPG Renaissance") to 2016, totaling five years of incline. People vote 1-5 (or didn't play) and we number crunch them for biggest hits, hidden gems, most hated, etc.

I would like to set this up early next week (like monday), then leave it running until thee end of January. We can do the 2016 GOTY later, or considering the lame feedback last year, just skip it. Especially since 2016 was meh as hell.

The system used to vote for the last Codex top RPG list was much better, why not use it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The system used to vote for the last Codex top RPG list was much better, why not use it?
Two main reasons: there's A LOT more games than I expected in these 5 years so the Likert scale works better than limited points, AND DU already made a system for 1-5 votes that gives me a handy excel with ALL THE DATA. I want dat again.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not let everyone to submit a complete ranking as well, in addition to likert scale?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Here's a WIP list of games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Onb7VZP-AfPZ1v4OfcptZgc3TSZqjf9G4xhjO51vANU/edit?usp=sharing

why not having both voting in one go? It supports separate lists right?
Yes, I suppose we could make five pages of voting, one for each year, and then the 2016 voting becomes the 2016 GOTY poll.

Why not let everyone to submit a complete ranking as well, in addition to likert scale?
What do you mean complete rankings? Like reviews?

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why not having both voting in one go? It supports separate lists right?
Yes, I suppose we could make five pages of voting, one for each year, and then the 2016 voting becomes the 2016 GOTY poll.

What do you mean complete rankings? Like reviews?
No, I mean the order of preference of all the games one has played, and assigning a rank to them, and an equal rank for those you like equally much. That way you lose minimal amount of information in terms of aggregating preferences, and you can subsequently use that data calculate whatever weighted voting scheme you like.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That seems overly complicated. Games you love = 5, Great games = 4, Ok = 3, Meh = 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition = 1.

Asking everyone to follow that is better than trying to account for several different personal rankings.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
That seems overly complicated. Games you love = 5, Great games = 4, Ok = 3, Meh = 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition = 1.

Asking everyone to follow that is better than trying to account for several different personal rankings.
No, it's not really the least bit complicated. Analysis of that type of aggregated preference data is straightforward and standard in certain elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borda_count

Please, if you could just include that single data field of data for each game where people can insert the rank. I can do the analysis.

EDIT: the purpose of this exercise wouldn't be to displace 'the official vote' if anything such is possible, but just for fun. In addition, we could see if we find a condorcet winner (the game that beats any other game head-to-head), which isn't necessarily the same as the game with most votes/points.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ideally, what should be the result of these polls? What's the goal? Maybe then we can think of a good way to reinforce those goals.

If the goal is to determine the best game and obscure games that are cool to play, votes won't be enough if there isn't any sort of numeric number assigned to the games.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I preferred the: You get 25 points to spread around games you've played method.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
I preferred the: You get 25 points to spread around games you've played method.
Theoretically, that means that someone with less game played has more weight in his top games than someone who has a longer list of games. Of course, the latter could just as well distribute points to only a few of his favorites, but nonetheless, there's intrinsic tendency for the system to regard the preferences of those with fewer entries as more intense.

Whatever you decide the system to be, could you please also include one field for each entry where people can type in the respective rank.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
felipepepe 's method (used for the 2015 games top list) gives much more information both about too obscure games and about good but not great games, which is what I'm personally looking for.

I think it's also the best method to get the site's favourite game (taking popularity into account, with a bayesian average, but not only popularity) but that's debatable and I don't really care about what games will win anyway.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think everyone should vote for games they have played. Afterwards, have everyone place scores for the games they have played. And only then, average them all.

That way you know:

- What games have been the most played.
- The average score the Codex gives each game, from 1 to 5.
- Some obscure games that may have gotten a good score.

It is the most time-consuming effort, but the one that gives the most accurate result. Maybe there could be five people working at this at once, one for every year (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).

The thing is, a game rated as a 9 by two persons isn't the same as a game rated as a 9 by 50 persons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom