Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it could be quite interesting if we replaced the usual Best RPG of Current Year vote with a best RPG of the last 3 years vote.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Because they aren't out yet? And doing a list right after a game comes out is a bad idea, due to hype, billions of patches, etc...

So either we do it in January, before the new releases, or we wait until they hype dies down and the GOTY / Remaster / Editor's Cut versions come out.

wait

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, I combined almost all the RPGs post-2011 from my games-to-play lists (except the names from big name developers like Diablo and Dark Souls for example; Obsidian is not big in my book) and I got this:

RPGs.png

It basically has every "awesome" made mentioned in the Codex (57 in total). If it is a top 10, I'm pretty sure it will be composed entirely with games from this list. I think a "best game" would be pretty boring, it should be a top 20 or similar to know exactly how do the games rank (in the opinion of the Codex, that is). "Best RPG: Underrail/Age of Decadence/NEO Scavenger" doesn't cut it for me, I want some rankings, god dammit. (Also, if any of the games on the right column are pretty shit or otherwise not an RPG, tell me nao)

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Rogues are RPGs. Invisible Inc is a rogue-like and is therefore a RPG.

We also have JA2 in our top 20.

Otherwise discount ARPGs as well.

Lhynn

Arcane
Rogues are RPGs. Invisible Inc is a rogue-like and is therefore a RPG.
Thats not true tho. Roguelikes are roguelikes, RPGs are RPGs, sometimes theres an overlap, sometimes there isnt.

We also have JA2 in our top 20.
At least theres a degree of character customization and growth there.

Otherwise discount ARPGs as well.
ARPGs are still RPGs, they just are more focused on a single aspect of the experience.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's no character customization and growth in Invisible Inc? Sharp would disagree. Besides, the game does let you upgrade your agents' Strength, Agility, Hacking and Anarchy. So at least it has RPG elements.

Also (unrelated) are we voting on XCOM?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
card games are shit
beat em up is cool
racing games are fun too
sport games i don't like it but i guess they're okay

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's no character customization and growth in Invisible Inc? Sharp would disagree. Besides, the game does let you upgrade your agents' Strength, Agility, Hacking and Anarchy. So at least it has RPG elements.

You could have voted for any game you wanted. If you got 4 other people to agree it's an rpg and worth voting for, it could have been on the list.

Lhynn

Arcane
Knights of Xentar is an rpg. And has better combat and writing than poe.

Jason Liang

Arcane

You could have voted for any game you wanted. If you got 4 other people to agree it's an rpg and worth voting for, it could have been on the list.

I meant are we going to vote on the new XCOM game? Since it isn't on Lucas9's list. Or is it considered "a game from a big name developer."

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I meant are we going to vote on the new XCOM game? Since it isn't on Lucas9's list. Or is it considered "a game from a big name developer."

Oh, I never placed it on my "to play" list since it seems to be pretty much a tactical game. I thought I would be giving the original X-COM a try, though, since it inspired Fallout in a way (as admitted by Tim Cain).

But during the days I made research for games to add into my lists, no one mentioned X-COM/XCOM at all.

Jason Liang

Arcane
My bad. I thought original XCom was in the top 50 list. Just my brain misfiring.

So how about we vote on 2011-2016 as a sort of prelim, and then next year after Torment and Divinity 2 have come out and been reasonably patched, let's do a complete revote with the top titles from the prelim + 2017 titles. I'm curious how perception has changed. Any games that fall out of the top 50 maybe we can retire to a Codex rpg hall of fame or something.

Hm. What about Don't Starve?

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Lists should only serve as a reminder, we shouldn't filter anything beforehand. If people want to vote for Nu-XCOM 2, Don't Starve, Invisible Inc, Diablo III or whatever, let them.

Also, it should include ports & translations like Dragon's Dogma, Trails in the Sky, Way of the Samurai 4, Stranger in Sword City, Rance, etc. We got a lot of really got stuff these past years.

Anyway, my plan is to start this on January 8, with a similar voting system of the Top 50 list:

Each person has 25 points to distribute between what they think are the best RPGs ever. You have to spend at least 1 point per game, and at most 5 points on each game, so you can vote anything from 5 to 25 games, weighting how great you think they are. Besides that, the rules are:

- Only PC games (ports are allowed).
- No alpha, betas or demos (not even super-demos).
- You can spend less than 25 points, if you can't think of 5 cRPGs you like.
- Your vote be ignored if you can't do basic math or if you're trolling.

Going back all the way to 2011 is too much. It's the year of Skyrim, FFS... we should either begin in 2012 (due to Legend of Grimrock) or in 2013, when the incline really began.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom