Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

DatahawkStudios

Barely Literate
Welcome! We are also vulgar and crude. On a plus side, we are also men, trannies, and four or five women of distinguished taste. :martini:

Oh, definitely don't have any problem with vulgarity or crudeness... but it helps when it leads you to goodness at the same time. ;)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The list is from early 2014, Divinity: Original Sin wasn't released by then.

Might be a good idea to update the list again in early 2017, doesn't seem like 2016 will have many classic RPGs.

DatahawkStudios

Barely Literate
The list is from early 2014, Divinity: Original Sin wasn't released by then.

Might be a good idea to update the list again in early 2017, doesn't seem like 2016 will have many classic RPGs.

Yeah, I understood that it wouldn't be in there. :) I started with that one and when the wife gets home from work we're going to play it together. Looking forward to all of them, I'd say I've got a good bit of game time here for the next month or two. :)

I'm definitely going to be looking at all possible new releases, but it seems like for right now that I should be hoping that there's an indie game I haven't heard of that can come in and shock the world. Most of this is research as I've just started working on developing my own RPG's, so its both fun and research! :D

Corvid

Novice
Just wanted to thank everyone who voted on Knights of the Chalice, I wasn't aware it existed and an oldschool combat-crunchy game is just what I wanted.

Jazz_

Arcane
Is Deus Ex after Fallout New Vegas and Morrowind because technically it's not purely a rpg? Because as a game it shits all over those 2 imo.
Also, Gothic 1 that far down the list. :negative:

Corvid

Novice
Just wanted to thank everyone who voted on Knights of the Chalice
I'd like to retract that and recommend that the aforementioned people go jump on a dick. I stopped playing at 5 AM and I have work today :argh:

If you want more oldschool combat-crunchy game try Disciples of Steel and Nahlahk, if you haven't already.
Noted. I think I've played DoS a long time ago, but Nahlahk is new to me.

Last edited:

Privet

Barely Literate
Hello. Can you, guys, give me some advice. I am more of a modern player, I would say, at least the kind that used to the gamedesign of second half of 00's, the greatest RPG experience of the childhood is Withcer 1. But I also tried and really enjoyed older RPGs, for two years now BGII has been my favourite game. So I have this urge to get this kind of emotions and experience from a game again. What should I really try to play? I am asking for advice, because I am kinda tired to try all this old-school games. Couldn't enjoy FO1 at all, don't know should I even try the second one, slowly and boringly going through Planescape, but since everyone is claiming the game stands out for its story I'll continue my playthrough. Really enjoyed Wizardry 8 and MM6 a little less, but still was a good experience, the open world filled with dungeons and monsters is always intriguing, love that feeling of stepping into the unknown. From my tastes, I guess I love RPGs for combat and character development, some sense of accomplishment and exploration, still not sure though if it is not some design and inerface inconveniences that prevents me from enjoying mentoined FO, for example. Definetly find all the modern interpretations of the old school RPG design great (Divinity, Wasteland 2, Grimrock, even MM10). Currently, playing Vampires, enjoying it, but still I see it more as some kind of Deus Ex experience, which is good, but isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Based on what you said, I would recommend Might and Magic: World of Xeen, Morrowind, System Shock 2, Arx Fatalis, Lands of Lore and/or Wizards & Warriors (the younger brother of Wizadry 8).

Walden

Savant
Hello. Can you, guys, give me some advice. I am more of a modern player, I would say, at least the kind that used to the gamedesign of second half of 00's, the greatest RPG experience of the childhood is Withcer 1. But I also tried and really enjoyed older RPGs, for two years now BGII has been my favourite game. So I have this urge to get this kind of emotions and experience from a game again. What should I really try to play? I am asking for advice, because I am kinda tired to try all this old-school games. Couldn't enjoy FO1 at all, don't know should I even try the second one, slowly and boringly going through Planescape, but since everyone is claiming the game stands out for its story I'll continue my playthrough. Really enjoyed Wizardry 8 and MM6 a little less, but still was a good experience, the open world filled with dungeons and monsters is always intriguing, love that feeling of stepping into the unknown. From my tastes, I guess I love RPGs for combat and character development, some sense of accomplishment and exploration, still not sure though if it is not some design and inerface inconveniences that prevents me from enjoying mentoined FO, for example. Definetly find all the modern interpretations of the old school RPG design great (Divinity, Wasteland 2, Grimrock, even MM10). Currently, playing Vampires, enjoying it, but still I see it more as some kind of Deus Ex experience, which is good, but isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.
I'd like to like old games, but I don't like at all Fallout and find boring Planescape. Maybe better stay in 2000's for a while.
Morrowind, VTM Bloodlines, Gothic, Titan Quest, Icewind Dale. If you stop this design silly business you can also give a try to Betrayal at Krondor, Arcanum, Realms of Arkania trilogy, Vagrant Story on emulator, Wizardry 6-7-8.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hello. Can you, guys, give me some advice. I am more of a modern player, I would say, at least the kind that used to the gamedesign of second half of 00's, the greatest RPG experience of the childhood is Withcer 1. But I also tried and really enjoyed older RPGs, for two years now BGII has been my favourite game. So I have this urge to get this kind of emotions and experience from a game again. What should I really try to play?.
If you want to play older RPGs, play older RPGs.

Rogue (1980): The progenitor of the Rogue-like subgenre of CRPGs. Perhaps too simplistic, so alternatively try Nethack (1985) or Angband (1990). Procedurally-generated dungeons and permanent death.

Wizardry (1981): The progenitor of the CRPG subgenre referred to by the Codex as turn-based blobbers. Balanced exploration and turn-based combat with a first-person perspective but an entire party under your control. Alternatively, Wizardry V (1988) for D.W. Bradley's take on the formula established by Andy Greenberg and Robert Woodhead.

Ultima III: Exodus (1983) or Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985) or Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992) for Richard Garriot at various peaks in his career.

Dungeon Master (1987) and Chaos Strikes Back (1989): The progenitor of the subgenre referred to by the Codex as real-time blobbers. Allows direct interaction with the environment, items, and creatures, greatly enhancing exploration at the expense of combat. Best 2D level design.

Pool of Radiance (1988): Officially-licensed AD&D game with exploration similar to Wizardry-likes but tactical, turn-based combat occurring in separate maps. Alternatively, try Champions of Krynn (1990) or Wizard's Crown (1987), also by SSI.

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (1992) for the first 3D CRPG, based on real-time blobbers but paring down the player-characters from an entire party to a single character. Best 3D level design. Alternatively, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996) for procedually-generated dungeons (and overworld).

Final Fantasy VI (1994) for the best of the JRPG subgenre, not notable for the gameplay but for being a work of art. Alternatively, Planescape: Torment (1999) for a literary work of art.

For more recent games, you've already tried Fallout (1997) and could try the similar Underrail (2015) or Age of Decadence (2015). The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002) shifted the emphasis from Gygaxian dungeon-crawling to Arnesonian wilderness exploration. Action-based combat in CRPGs has gained well-earned notoriety for being poorly-designed, but you can now find well-done action-based combat in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2013) or alternatively Demon's Souls (2009) or Dark Souls (2011).

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Privet RPGs are a world of different things, if you want to try old games you have to experiment or at least pick up the "importants" first.

My first old RPG was Ultima IV, was dificult to play at first but when I finished it I wanted more so I moved to the first ones, then to Wasteland, then Wizardry, and so on... With time and patience it will make easier to you learn quickly how to play them, because all the subgenres of the time shares similar mechanics.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd like to like old games, but I don't like at all Fallout and find boring Planescape. Maybe better stay in 2000's for a while.
Morrowind, VTM Bloodlines, Gothic, Titan Quest, Icewind Dale. If you stop this design silly business you can also give a try to Betrayal at Krondor, Arcanum, Realms of Arkania trilogy, Vagrant Story on emulator, Wizardry 6-7-8.

Joined... oh FFS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom