Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That was made in 2011 and there is a more recent one that got lots of mileage around consoletard sites.

Our taste was impeccable of course. Although now that i think about it wasn't about jrpgs but handheld games (NDS, PSP).

LJ40

Cipher
If we can do a new one that's not either outdated or just about handhelds that's cool, but I don't think that the response would leave us with anything even close to the crpg poll. Hell, I'll necro the old one as soon as I have my top ten in order, maybe more will follow suit.

MrMarbles

Cipher
In Fallout 1 and 2 every character is dressed based on where they are from, what faction they belong too and how wealthy/important they are in said faction. Pretty sure this is true in both Baldur's Gates. Arcanum. Plenty of others.

The Baldur's Gates do a lot of things, but they don't have the same attention to settings details as Morrowind. Townies and civilians look the same everywhere. Rogues have the same hooded look no matter where they are in the rogue hierarchy, paladins have the same armor etc. In Arcanum they solve the problem by having different factions equip different types of equipment, but the equipment isn't usually unique to the faction. The level of design in Morrowind is just really impressive on all levels.

RuySan

Augur
This survey should be done every year, just like Amiga Power top 100. Wasteland 2 and Lords of Xulima deserve to be there

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can we just ban that account before it gets big? I'm tired of the 2hardcore4u newfags.

Viata

Arcane
My favorite game is not part of the top 10. You guys don't even like rpg. :troll:

Btw, going by that Ultima Underworld cover, I still wish the beginning was you going down some stairs just because it'd be cool.

bloodlover

Arcane
I am in some kind of playing spree recently (well with this free time around the holidays I guess most people are) and as a strange coincidence the games that I have played recently are in the top 10. Since I just finished F2 and I still have my fair share of Underrail to play, I'm thinking of what to pick from that list. I never actually finished Morrowind or BG2 from one end to another though they might require a massive time investment. Replaying Deus Ex with CyberP's famous mod would also be an option. I don't have a copy of G2 or Wiz8 atm so that is out of the question for now. Might give TOEE a chance or the famous MOTB.

What would the codex recommend, preferably not SFish and with guns, maybe older and not PST.

Rake

Arcane
I am in some kind of playing spree recently (well with this free time around the holidays I guess most people are) and as a strange coincidence the games that I have played recently are in the top 10. Since I just finished F2 and I still have my fair share of Underrail to play, I'm thinking of what to pick from that list. I never actually finished Morrowind or BG2 from one end to another though they might require a massive time investment. Replaying Deus Ex with CyberP's famous mod would also be an option. I don't have a copy of G2 or Wiz8 atm so that is out of the question for now. Might give TOEE a chance or the famous MOTB.

What would the codex recommend, preferably not SFish and with guns, maybe older and not PST.
Storyfag mood : MOTB
Combatfag mood : BG2
TB Combatfag mood :TOEE (only if you dislike RTwP/ are a TB fanatic, BG2 >TOEE in every single aspect)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You can see everything that's interesting about ToEE very quickly, so the "get in touch with greatness" vs "time wasted playing video games" ratio is reasonably good. Don't be afraid of abandoning the game at the Temple though.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
toee is also like 12ish hours long, BG2 is like 70 if you do most of the side quests

i never got further then like 2hrs into motb so i cant comment on that, thought it was shitty

no idea about morrowind either, dont think i played that 1 for more then like 2 hours either before i got bored

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Took me at least 120 when I was like 16, doing as many side-quests as I could find. At least.

bloodlover

Arcane
My first BG2 experience seemed like forever even though I didn't get past Underdark. The game was solid and I think I abandoned it because I was out of the city for a few months and I kind of lost contact with video games.

What about Ultima games for an explorerfag? I never played any of them and I might find them on Abandonware.

I have a shitload of D&D games at home but I am missing a lot of classics. :negative: Unless you count ICWD as classic. :lol:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
BG2 is like 70 if you do most of the side quests

Maybe on the easiest difficulty, but otherwise it's between 150 and 200 hours.

for the bg games i always played on the middle difficulty which i think was default, i guess if you die alot or you stall it can take a while and 70 might be selling it a bit short but both times i played it i think i did almost all the side quests and i really don't think it ran me over 90 hours and that might be pushing it

hard to say because i played it once when it came out and i played it a 2nd time around maybe 2006 or 2007 so it's been a long time since i beat the game

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What about Ultima games for an explorerfag? I never played any of them and I might find them on Abandonware.

Ultima 4-6 (and probably 7 as well) has great exploration, but you explore the same world in each game, so only the first one you play will be completely "fresh".

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Baldur's Gate 2 might be 70 hours if you're completely new to the game or read every single dialogue. It takes me around 25-30 hours to complete the SoA campaign (not watcher's keep), and I do everything in it. You can complete the entire trilogy (BG1, BG2, ToB) in 70 hours.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
first time i played it i know for sure i took more then 50-60h and i remember doing every side quest i could find, and while i didnt rush i didnt stall around either

but 150-200? i can't imagine taking over 100 hours to play bg2 lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom