Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It was just a joke; see, Temple of Apshai might be historically relevant, but it's relatively sub-par compared to newer RPGs like Wizardry.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining, that went right over my head..!

Shin

Cipher
You simply can't compare a game like Wizardry to something like Dark Souls. We need an official institution (like PEGI) which rates games for their RPG content. Make an official distinction between 'action game with RPG elements' and 'real RPG's'.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You simply can't compare a game like Wizardry to something like Dark Souls. We need an official institution (like PEGI) which rates games for their RPG content. Make an official distinction between 'action game with RPG elements' and 'real RPG's'.
RPGWatch is that way

Prime Junta

The Codex has p. good taste. Played and liked 9 out of the top 10 (missing Wizardry 8). After that it starts getting patchier—more and more that I haven't played—but I didn't see any games I actively disliked in the top 25 either.

Vernacular

Literate
Not a bad list tbh. Like with any list there will always be personal gripes. Like DA:O. That really should be somewhere near the bottom. I do also understand the reasoning for limiting console exclusives, but I'd love to have seen how Dragon's Dogma would fare. Definitely miles ahead of the usual fare you see on the commercial spam sites though, with a few pleasant surprises.

Vernacular

Literate
If Dragon's Dogma is the first console game let in, I'll fucking kill myself.

You are truly the harbinger of :decline:.

Look ye upon my works and despair! For I am decline, destroyer of words!

Anyway, it's too late. Dark Souls is already in there. It did rather well, too, by the looks of it.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I only finished Ultima IV and Wasteland in the list, the Apple ][ version to be more specific. Disk swap madness!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow that's a bad list, possibly the worst I've seen. There's not a single GREAT game until you hit darklands at 18, or perhaps Krondor at 16. What a total embarrassment, I don't think the codex can wash the egg off its face after this one.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, Agesilaus, you're so edgy. Can you show us better lists, because I'm really really curious.

Great CRPGs below #18:
Geneforge
Ultima IV and V
Pool of Radiance
Daggerfall
Might and Magic: Worlds of Xeen
Might and Magic VI
etc
etc
etc

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not saying I have a pre-prepared list to hand you, but we may as well just outsource our lists to RPGwatch at this rate.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
What makes every game before Darklands bad to you? Genuinely curious.

I didn't say they were all bad, some can be enjoyable enough. This is supposed to be a list of the great crpgs of all time, though, not a collection of mediocre gaming experiences. Some of them are downright shit, such as PST (at 1st place no less), while stuff like Fallout is just OK.

Edit: seriously, a large number of you woke up one morning and said, "yep, Dragon Age, that was one of the finest crpg gaming moments in history."

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't say they were all bad, some can be enjoyable enough. This is supposed to be a list of the great crpgs of all time, though, not a collection of mediocre gaming experiences. Some of them are downright shit, such as PST (at 1st place no less), while stuff like Fallout is just OK.
laugh 2.jpg

Oh, were you serious.....?

disapointed.jpg

Shammy

Learned
But what about these games makes them so awful to you? What makes Darklands a better experience than PST, or Fallout 1/2, or BG2? I won't put the laundry list of reasons why I think they're good since they've been stated ed nauseam, but these games have earned their spot for a reason. It's not a popular opinion you have, and frankly one I haven't seen before. I wanna understand!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
But what about these games makes them so awful to you? What makes Darklands a better experience than PST, or Fallout 1/2, or BG2? I won't put the laundry list of reasons why I think they're good since they've been stated ed nauseam, but these games have earned their spot for a reason. It's not a popular opinion you have, and frankly one I haven't seen before. I wanna understand!

PST features a railroaded story, terrible mechanics, and awful text dumps that could only appeal to awkward teens. Aristotle says that the young aren't fit to study politics, and PST demonstrates that they're not able to appreciate philosophy or writing, either. It is so multifaceted in its failings that it is almost impossible to give a complete account of just how bad PST sucks.

If you haven't heard this before, then you're purposely ignoring the truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom