Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

buzz

Arcane
Smoking pot in-game vs Doing Shrooms - The game. Which is better and why, DISCUSS!

I'm sorry, you lost me at discussing visual design and atmosphere when you posted this as a good example
42771.jpg

aint my fault you have shitty taste and cant understand the concept of outlandish Vvardenfell

this is still better than anything from Bethesda/Piranha Bytes after 2002

Morrowindwallpaper2.jpg

42136-1-1337700483.jpg

Dremora_Lords.jpg

22139-2-1246309574.jpg

Rebirth_Indoril.jpg

buzz

Arcane
Okay bro, I admit. Morrowind is the superior artistic game.

Here's my favorite character design from the game, I just love it
Vanitas_KHBBS.png

The only flaw is that it doesn't have enough spikes :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
morrowind has almost unparalleled esthetics. I like gothic, but this is not even a contest. only a few games can compare. outcast comes to mind.

buzz

Arcane
. outcast comes to mind.
Okay, weird means good. Glad to get it now :salute:

Can't wait for an abstract-expressionist cRPG, with Jackson Pollock-style art. That might finally topple the unparalleled aesthetics of Morrowind :P

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
. outcast comes to mind.
Okay, weird means good. Glad to get it now :salute:

Can't wait for an abstract-expressionist cRPG, with Jackson Pollock-style art. That might finally topple the unparalleled aesthetics of Morrowind :P
weird isn't necessarily good. take the pretentious garbage The Void for instance.

what morrowind and outcast has in common is their detailed representation of unique alien cultures. they're weird, but coherent and meaningful.

buzz

Arcane
Just so we're on the clear, can you confirm that the following suck and are not reasons why a game might look good/have great atmosphere?
- variety like abandoned temples and marshes, mountain forts, chilly halls of dread, port cities, farms, forests, war zones, the desert, mines and so on
- character routines and animations that make them believable instead of pieces of walking wood, NPCs that actually go to sleep, work, chill out with their buddies as well as animals that roam the woods, hunt and fight
- juxtaposing the real with the fantastic, making the players go through seemingly realistic locales in order to fully absorb the fantastical and the weird later on in the game, as opposed to throwing a kitchen sink of weird and different, managing to make the alien look mundane in the longer run by overusing it

Just throwing a few things out there that made Gothic an absolutely awful game to look at. If only Gothic had armors that fit into the lore, alien cultures, weird creatures to fight. I mean, it DID, but it didn't try hard enough, that's what I'm trying to say. Not enough giant mushrooms/

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
as opposed to throwing a kitchen sink of weird and different, managing to make the alien look mundane in the longer run by overusing it
Morrowind world isn't mundane because of weirdness overload, but because of shitty presentation (wiki npcs or your point 2). Some players can overlook that though, I definitely could. There are other things that stopped me from playing through it (banal shit boring chosen one main story, overpowered char too early in the game, char-building was the main appeal for me anyway)
Both approaches (Gothic, Morrowind) have their merits, don't be ridiculous. If someone made a Dune CRPG would you expect him "juxtaposing the real with the fantastic, making the players go through seemingly realistic locales in order to fully absorb the fantastical and the weird later on in the game" in that case too?
Why the heck is there no Dune CRPG btw? :rpgcodex:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Here is the reality of it all:
You are all fags.
Morrowind sucked balls beyond some of the open world stuff it had going on and the in game lore if you are a total faggot and are into stupid shit like that.
Fallout is still the best RPG ever made.

Lhynn

Arcane
Here is the reality of it all:
You are all fags.
Morrowind sucked balls beyond some of the open world stuff it had going on and the in game lore if you are a total faggot and are into stupid shit like that.
So you couldnt find caius cosades.

buzz

Arcane
Both approaches (Gothic, Morrowind) have their merits, don't be ridiculous.
Of course, I'm just saying that claiming Morrowind as the undisputed king of good-looking cRPGs and calling the Gothic games ugly by comparison is a bit short sighted.
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of making the grass purple for the sake of alien and weird, which is why I like Gothic a teensy bit more. I like weirdness, I just not consider it the high-end of fantasy works like many people do.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You are getting trolled.

Also Silent Hill 2 was panned on release for bad graphics, barely a step above PS1.
They are bad in that good way though, the one where the art design is so good it absolutely doesn't matter. I sure did not consider them bad. But it is worth noting people did.

edit:

Dune CRPG

This would be amazing. Very amazing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dexers itt arguing what's better, low-fantasy or high-fantasy esthetics. I don't know, it's like arguing about what's better, Pagani Zonda or Audi A5.

Two different things, one is about theatre, drama, panache and the other about subdued, quiet elegance. They both are legit and both have a place in the world.

That said, Gothic is clearly better. :cool:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Poster disagrees with list of top RPGs.
Other posters begin arguing which RPGs are better based on graphical quality at the time and aesthetics.
:decline:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
banal shit boring chosen one main story

Wrong, go replay it.
Sure, some day, when I'm old and wrinkly and have too much time on my hand.
I stopped playing it after some guy or old hag (can't remember) in a tent told me I'm specul (I think the exact point was after all the Cosades quests and while visiting Vivec (the city), what a dragged out and boring place). Game seriously lacked challenge at that point anyway so I thought
ary9t.jpg

and never went back.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
banal shit boring chosen one main story

Wrong, go replay it.
Sure, some day, when I'm old and wrinkly and have too much time on my hand.
I stopped playing it after some guy or old hag (can't remember) in a tent told me I'm specul (I think the exact point was after all the Cosades quests and while visiting Vivec (the city), what a dragged out and boring place).

SPOILER: The entire point of the quest is you're not actually "specul". Or maybe you are. But you might not be.

You could be though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom