Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Kotor II:
IT'S SHIT!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since the thread is quickly devolving into shit-flinging arguments, the whole thing should probably get wrapped up as soon as possible. When can we expect the official version to make it to the frontpage? Crooked Bee? felipepepe?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you think your English is up to snuff, we are accepting the help of volunteers. :M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who says they can't?

In my fanfiction days I usually edited as much text in a day or two. Just saying.

If you think your English is up to snuff, we are accepting the help of volunteers. :M
If I had the time to spare I would have volunteered for The Codex staff ages ago. :(

Ninjerk

Arcane
A dick/tranny/rape-obsessed collective of shit-slurping autists the gaming world.... needs?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guys and gals, we could still use additional mini-reviews for the following games:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
ADOM
King of Dragon Pass
Neverwinter Nights 2
System Shock 1
Champions of Krynn
Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos
Star Control II
Divinity II
Wizards & Warriors

Anyone up for doing any of those?

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guys and gals, we could still use additional mini-reviews for the following games: Champions of Krynn
I know who should do this one:
I'd rather do a Krynn trilogy review

Also, here's a calling to those that gave the most points to each game:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - DragoFireheart and Marie
ADOM - Johannes , Noddy and Awor Szurkrarz.
King of Dragon Pass - Gobblecock and Kalin.
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Fenris 2.0 and laker.
System Shock 1 - borncannibal , Elthosian
Champions of Krynn - ProphetSword, Alchemist and carbonbased
Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos - Bonnie and Nyast
Star Control II - groke and Jive One

Divinity II - Sunsetspawn , Hirato , Vagiel and Jedi Exile
Wizards & Warriors - Zoidstar, MotherMachinae and Vagiel.

If any of you wants to write a short review...

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Lands of Lore

Westwood Studios' 1993 opus Lands of Lore is pretty much the best introduction to the real-time blobber subgenre you could ask for. A sort of spiritual successor to the Eye of the Beholder games, LoL had high production values for the time, and its colorful graphics and excellent music still hold up today. LoL is a very simplistic game and it's almost more of an adventure game than an RPG, but that doesn't stop it from being incredibly fun and even downright challenging at times. It's fully-voiced too and most of the actors here aren't half-bad. Patrick Stewart(!) even does the voice of King Roland. Overall, an excellent little RT blobber and one of my top recommendations for younger people looking to get into cRPGs.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
hmmm... Neverwinter Nights 2:

The NWN2 OC is nothing to write home about - it is good enough for a classic D&D Game, with tons of Filler-Combat, a lot of dungeons, a linear rail-roaded plot and a few good scenes. It is a game more in the vein of Baldur's Gate 2 then NWN 1, it brings back the control of a whole party and tactical fighting - well, if the standard AI woudn't be so retarded at least. The Battles are in Realtime, the Story is a simple "Save-the-Forgotten-Realms"-Plot, and the graphics are... sufficient. The Abilty to rest nearly everywhere all the time and the fact that your fallen characters simply rise again after a battle removes most of the challenge.

I gave the high rating not for the painfully mediocre OC, but for the potential this game has. It has to be excessivly modded, but then it gets really good - you need Tony K's improved AI, Kaedrin's Classpack and lots of costum models, both for your characters and for the items. Also you need to have at least enough knowledge of the toolset to add the SOZ Party-Creation-Feature to costum modules (when it isen't included by the creators) and to create some decent looking (and not overpowered) items. If you install all this mods (and probably two dozens more, that I forgot atm) and download some user created modules you get a nice dungeon-crawler with tons of options. Especially the dungeons of Legacy of Whiteplume Mountain and Tomb of Horrors Revisited are really good crawls and with Kaedrin's Classpack NWN2 is the D&D Game with the most elaborate character-creation and development. There are modules with great stories (i.e. Tales from the Lake of Sorrows), with nice areas (i.e. Baldur's Gate Reloaded), interesting new Ideas (i.e. SOZ) and sometimes really good modules can even get some decent combat (the two crawlers I mentioned above). Unfortunatly I don't think there is one that combines all this. Yet it is the Game that I played the most in the last 8 years, for a long time new modules kept coming from the community - even if that dried out over the last years.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Star Control II
Taking some of the photos going around the internet at a first glance, this may seem to be an action game, or maybe a 2-dimensional space simulation. But it also has stats that increase over the course of the game (via new ship technology), dialogue trees, puzzles to solve, quests to embark upon, and plenty of choices with consequences. The overall plot is also intriguing and comes from something you would expect from a science fiction opera. Along with many other alien races that inhabit our galaxy, the human race has been conquered and subjugated by the Ur-Quan. Forgotten survivors from a distant human colony find an ancient ship with technology rivaling that of the Ur-Quan and take decades to make it serviceable once more. They choose the player to pilot the vessel and lead the crew to discover the ultimate fate of humanity. Along the way you will find allies and enemies amongst the stars, but what really makes the game shine is the diversity of each race. The aliens you will meet react to your dialogue in unique ways, giving you a chance to turn potentially dangerous opponents to your side. In combat, each of the races also behaves differently, employing weapons and tactics appropriate for their culture. Space exploration is also an important factor, as you can unearth raw materials used to continue your fight and discover secrets in which you or your potential allies will make proper use. Ultimately you will also discover information about your alien ship itself, and the history of those who had created it. And finally, an ultimate showdown is unavoidable as it is up to you to find a way to free the galaxy from the clutches of the Ur-Quan masters. It sounds tough, but many odd allies are depending upon your success. The ladies of the Syreen are alone enough to make this difficult quest worthwhile.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
I could write something up for Wizards & Warriors, I played it a lot back in the days and finished it a few times, but that was really a long time ago, I probably have forgotten a lot of details; is there a deadline ? I would prefer if someone writes about it, who really cares for it - the game deserves that :)

Edit: Oh, its crossed out - nevermind then.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I could write something up for Wizards & Warriors, I played it a lot back in the days and finished it a few times, but that was really a long time ago, I probably have forgotten a lot of details; is there a deadline ? I would prefer if someone writes about it, who really cares for it - the game deserves that :)

No problem, I'm doing my own W&W mini-review in case no one else does.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deuce erm… Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the original Deus Ex game. In this game you play Adam Jensen, head of security for a corporation dealing in cybernetics. Adam (this first name having Biblical implications) is injured in the course of conducting his duties, and finds himself technologically augmented in a procedure that saves his life but may have cost a bit of his humanity. On a more positive note, the cybernetic augmentation also resulted in Adam’s sight being modified through some awesome shades which become a part of his face, because… let’s face it, the designers just thought it looked cooler than having a normal-looking eye with hidden cybernetic abilities. Like other games in the series, Human Revolution is based on cyberpunk literature, where the population finds itself dealing with how far it should go in regards to merging with the increasingly computerized technologies we have built with society as a whole.

And 1st person-shooting. Lots and lots of first-person shooting. Combat was also important in the original Deus Ex, but that game allowed for more flexibility of choice when resolving obstructions to your quests. On a more positive note, Human Revolution does allow for some stealth play, which you will appreciate as running forward and trying to gun down all opposition will often end badly. There are also a number of side quests and hidden areas, which you will want to explore in order to better Adam’s equipment before progressing onto the main quest. All in all, this was a fun game, though not without some logical flaws. The history of the series has been retconned quite a bit in order to make a more action-packed game, especially in regards to the advanced equipment that is available in Human Revolution. So it is still a fun experience, but fans of the series will be upset about how it jumbles up the series’ lore.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cool shades that are part of a persons face go straight back to Neuromancer. They're as cyberpunk as anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom