Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Kz3r0

Arcane
No, no, it's not the codex's taste that's wrong, that's absurd! We just have to keep changing the system untill the outcome is correct!

This. It's funny to what length some people want to go until the poll shows exactly what they personally want to see.
You have discovered one of the geat secrets of Democracy.

Servo

Arcane
No, no, it's not the codex's taste that's wrong, that's absurd! We just have to keep changing the system untill the outcome is correct!

This. It's funny to what length some people want to go until the poll shows exactly what they personally want to see.

I don't think anyone would call user reviews "correct." But at least it would give older games a chance at having a high rating.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

You have discovered one of the geat secrets of Democracy.
I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how.

Quote by Joseph Stalin. It's usually paraphrased as "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the votes."

Drew

Savant
I think that if there was a difference between 0 and no vote, and then the Bayesian average was used, it would be a bit more accurate.

Still, a lot of work for probably an extremely similar result.

Gregz

Arcane
Alpha Protocol above Ultima 7? There's obviously something wrong here.

This shit gets SO fucking old, especially when brought up by a newfag.

Look.

Any Wizardy, Might and Magic, Ultima, Gold Box, Elder Scrolls or any other game with 1000 sequels gets boned by _any_ kind of voting process that looks at the series as separate games.

Look a'fucking-gain, add up ALL the fucking Ultima titles, and you'll see it's MORE than Alpha Protocol. Use some fucking common sense.

All these sequels do is iterate on a previous formula, and trust me, they are among my favorites. But fucking think, if a single game thinks outside the box and makes an impression, it deserves recognition. Thus KoTC, Dark Souls and yes even fucking Alpha Protocol.

Tigranes

Arcane
They're both great games with big flaws. Now kiss and make up.

(Unless U7 combat actually functioned when it was originally released, or something.)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it's an rpg list and alpha prot actually is one, contrary to u7...
:0/5:
u7 is a great game with some pretty neat features, but it is no rpg. rpg mechanics in this game are p. much only tied to combat and the combat is an atrocity detracting from the actual adventure meets sandbox gameplay. you could cut the stats and combat completely out of the game and wouldn't have lost anything of value, so yeah, it's no rpg, despite being good.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
u7 is a great game with some pretty neat features, but it is no rpg. rpg mechanics in this game are p. much only tied to combat and the combat is an atrocity detracting from the actual adventure meets sandbox gameplay. you could cut the stats and combat completely out of the game and wouldn't have lost anything of value, so yeah, it's no rpg, despite being good.

But Alpha Popamole's rpg mechanics are also almost solely combat-based (oh and shitty minigames, I almost forgot), and its combat is also an utter atrocity that detracts from the good parts of the game (and sadly makes up the majority of the gameplay)...

Tigranes

Arcane
AP's combat > U7's combat, because anything is better than U7's combat.

But that's besides the point. Yeah, if you hate the combat, you won't enjoy the game. And yeah, if you play it like a popamole cover shooter where you go in with SMGs, it won't be very good. I never even used sticky cover (and having played almost no FPS since Halo it still confuses me), when you go with pistols, grenades, mines and sneaking on hard difficulty it can be pretty thrilling. Obviously, it's a big failing of AP that you have to figure out that nonintuitive combination to get its combat to be fun, but that's why it's a flawed gem.

Besides which, AP's rpg mechanics are almost combat? Seriously? It does C&C better than most games on the list, just off dialogue and world states.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Didn't see anything of the sort... perhaps once we release the full list as a front-page article he will take notice, or I'll message him about it. I like his games and do think that Geneforge is fucking awesome (I voted for and reviewed it), bu7t I think he's reception will be more like "Codex likes the game I did more than a decade years ago, while my recent stuff is just dumbed down... lol".

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

U7 not an RPG? My roleplaying experience says different, as does the fucking Codex.

Oh but you make such enlightened, compelling arguments; perhaps everyone should reconsider.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Didn't see anything of the sort... perhaps once we release the full list as a front-page article he will take notice, or I'll message him about it. I like his games and do think that Geneforge is fucking awesome (I voted for and reviewed it), bu7t I think he's reception will be more like "Codex likes the game I did more than a decade years ago, while my recent stuff is just dumbed down... lol".
But... that's true?

Telengard

Arcane

Well, the stated goal of this year's poll was to lower the scores of Icewind Dale and TOEE, so isn't that kind of the point?

(Of course, it did that by raising the score of Dragon Age. *shudder*)

Turjan

Arcane
Well, the stated goal of this year's poll was to lower the scores of Icewind Dale and TOEE, so isn't that kind of the point?

(Of course, it did that by raising the score of Dragon Age. *shudder*)

That's how things go. Dragon Age was "Codex RPG of the Year" at some point. OK, RPG of the Year doesn't mean much in years where there are no really great RPGs, but I remember that the game was seen as a step in the right direction at that point. I wouldn't vote for it, but I'm not horrified, either.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

U7 not an RPG? My roleplaying experience says different, as does the fucking Codex.

Oh but you make such enlightened, compelling arguments; perhaps everyone should reconsider.
HiddenX created another thread for that discussion, so as to not get the discussion off-topic in this thread. You can probably just read the last full page (page 16 as of now) to get the gist of it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But... that's true?
Seems to me. We had a lot of voted for Geneforge 1 and Exile 3, while the apparent konsensus on his new offering are that they are decent, but too streamlined next to the older games.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

well, my argument was leagues above your "everyone disagrees with you so you're wrong".

Lhynn

Arcane
Seems to me. We had a lot of voted for Geneforge 1 and Exile 3, while the apparent konsensus on his new offering are that they are decent, but too streamlined next to the older games.
I wouldnt mind the streamilining if they werent such a boring pile of shit.
Exile saga is p. much on my short list for favorite RPGs ever, i found Avernum to be a lesser version of it and i hated avadon for being bland, generic and unimaginative.

Is it too late for me to write a reviews for Kotors? After Armored Decline I have a feeling I need to do something good for the world. To counterbalance things. Having a review of games about Jedi from a Jedi will make everything look more trustworthy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom