Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't mind Dead Poets Codex, but can we have the regular reviews as well?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur's Gate
Generally considered inferior to its much-acclaimed sequel, Baldur's Gate will let you embark on a journey through the Forgotten Realms' Sword Coast to discover a plot that is both personal an world-changing. And by Sword Coast I mean through every square foot of it, because, while not truly open world, the game has a huge number of wilderness locations. For most people, the sheer vastness of the world and relatively low density of content are BG1's major flaw, but some, myself included, consider these traits to be an advantage over Baldur's Gate 2 rather artificial quest overload, as it makes the world feel more believable and alive. Granted, the dungeons in this game are much less interesting, the fights much less epic and the loot much more sparse (again, a good thing in my book), but the adventure is just as true, if not more.

:Flash:

Arcane
Ultima IV (Fanboy review incoming)
The defining moment of the Ultima series and one of the most seminal games in CRPG history, Ultima IV manages to create an experience far removed from genre clichés. It doesn't have you play as a fantasy realm dweller with amnesia or a character created by clicking plus and minus signs besides a number; instead you play as yourself and the game starts as you walk through a forest. And as you arrive in the fantasy world filled with bards, noble knights and monsters -- about the only clichés left intact by the game -- you learn that your quest is not to defeat the evil wizard but to become a better person and thus ultimately an example for the other people of the realm. As you travel through the vast world of Britannia, walking or riding from town to town, sailing the oceans trying to steer through the ever-changing wind (or trying to change the wind by magic) or even flying through the skies, you get enough chances to converse with people and realize that your behaviour is more important than your fighting skills.
From a gameplay perspective the game might have its ups and downs, but is still enjoyable thanks to the wide variety of possibilities it offers. But as overall experience, the "Quest of the Avatar", almost 30 years after its initial release, still stands head and shoulder over almost anything released since.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, so we don't have the actual list published yet, but you just want us to review any game?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wait, so we don't have the actual list published yet, but you just want us to review any game?
Revealing he list now would give room for people to try to influence the results, so i'd rather not do it. I could ask for the reviews once the list is released, but we have 10 days until then, so I thought it was worth a shot of trying to publish everything together.

MrMarbles

Cipher
I don't mind Dead Poets Codex, but can we have the regular reviews as well?

Planescape: Torment
The story lends Torment a claim
to timeless RPG fame
Just one regret:
There's no way to pet
the goods of the Lady of Pain

Skyrim (Modded)
Roses are red, violets are boobs
I like boobs
Boobs

Zetor

Arcane
(crappy) haikus are so 2003.

Anyway, felipepepe -- even if you can't reveal the list, can you post the minimum point threshold for a game to appear on the list? I may be interested in writing mini-reviews for some of the less popular games on my list (probably Freedom Force / Exile 3 / Death Knights of Krynn), but... yeah.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The list will be out in 3 days now, I'd rather just wait and then ask for reviews again. And I haven't decided how far should I take the list anyway... 50, 60, 75...

laclongquan

Arcane
Your response doesnt make sense. It is a fact that readers doesnt extend their interest beyond the top 20. Hell, most of the time they stop at top 10. The newbies even doesnt go beyond top 5.

Mind you, I dont object much if they want to do a top 50. It will ruin felipepepe's efforts, of course. But i figure from the start this is something of an experiment, so failure is not undesirable.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The list will be out in 3 days now, I'd rather just wait and then ask for reviews again. And I haven't decided how far should I take the list anyway... 50, 60, 75...

Maybe make a cut-off point based on the amount of points received - e.g. list all the games that received more than, say, 10 or 15 points?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
For tied results, what makes more sense: to priorize the game with most votes, or the one with higher average score? Or fuck that, just list both in alphabetical order?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
For tied results, what makes more sense: to priorize the game with most votes, or the one with higher average score? Or fuck that, just list both in alphabetical order?

I think it is correct to list them as a tie... if the top 10 has 14 entries due to ties, so be it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You too Jasede

What fabulous hat you wear!

Men

GMP2xbNwg5-10.png

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Voting will end at the end of this Friday, huehue time.

evdk, poocolator and Menckenstein , last chance for a legit vote. Usually I don't care for trolling, but you guys are distorting the average scores. And poocolator's copy pasta trolling is just lazy.

Declinator

Arbiter
Your response doesnt make sense. It is a fact that readers doesnt extend their interest beyond the top 20. Hell, most of the time they stop at top 10. The newbies even doesnt go beyond top 5.

It may be a fact that most readers do not care about results beyond the top 20. Stating as a fact that none of the readers have interest beyond the top 20 is just asinine.

I, for one, have probably more interest in the games beyond the top 20 as the top 20 will probably consist mostly or completely of games I've already played, perhaps many times. I don't really care what people think of games I've already played but I do have a slight interest in what the codex thinks of games I haven't played yet as I might just base my choice of what I play next on that.

So you see, ">doesn't scale to your level█" makes perfect sense as the results will not scale to your interest level.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, from the start I did this much more interested in ranking the hidden gems than just finding out that the Codex likes Fallout....

I.e, Ultima 4 is ranked quite well, I'm very curious to read reviews telling me about out it.

laclongquan

Arcane

It may be a fact that most readers do not care about results beyond the top 20. Stating as a fact that none of the readers have interest beyond the top 20 is just asinine.

I, for one, have probably more interest in the games beyond the top 20 as the top 20 will probably consist mostly or completely of games I've already played, perhaps many times. I don't really care what people think of games I've already played but I do have a slight interest in what the codex thinks of games I haven't played yet as I might just base my choice of what I play next on that.

So you see, ">doesn't scale to your level█" makes perfect sense as the results will not scale to your interest level.

WORDS~

But as I stated, failure in this experiment doesnt trouble me. It roots in its nature.

Go on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom