Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Top 74 PC RPGs of All Time: Boxed Edition

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fantastic collection. Shames me that as a I kid I didn't value my boxes at all. All thrown away :(

This post got me to look at prices of these boxes in ebay and they're not too badly priced. Some games like older Wizardry are more expensive but most of them had reasonable prices, even lower than new games of today.

Get your boxes now dear codexers before hipsters start collecting them and the prices sky rocket.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This post got me to look at prices of these boxes in ebay and they're not too badly priced. Some games like older Wizardry are more expensive but most of them had reasonable prices, even lower than new games of today.

Get your boxes now dear codexers before hipsters start collecting them and the prices sky rocket.

Just look at the prices of the Fallouts, Wasteland, Morrowind Collector's, Witcher 2 Collector's and Icewind Dale II Collector's Editions.... :eek: A boxed copy of just the Ultima VII Forge of Virtue expansion went for over $300 last week!! Yes, some are not as expensive such as the Might & Magics and the "lesser" known games like the Gothics but some cost me an arm and a leg.... see what I did there.:troll:

Just look at the prices of the Fallouts, Wasteland, Morrowind Collector's, Witcher 2 Collector's and Icewind Dale II Collector's Editions....

Why is IWD cheap but IWD2 not? Anyway those + DhoU seem to me be the outliers of the bunch. Morrowind CE price at 300-400$ is what I assumed most of these would be, not under hundred bucks. Though ones sealed go for more obviously.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is IWD cheap but IWD2 not? Anyway those + DhoU seem to me be the outliers of the bunch. Morrowind CE price at 300-400$ is what I assumed most of these would be, not under hundred bucks. Though ones sealed go for more obviously.
IWD didn't have a Collector's Edition. However, the earlier editions had cloth maps. Most on the list average around $40-$60 USD depending on condition. It's the rare clue books/ some strat guides, stand-alone expansions, etc. that can get quite expensive.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
(I even keep the boxes for console controllers)

I wish we had a emoticon in which a Diablo scavenger was wearing the Wicked Witch of the West's hat, shriveling, and shrieking I'M MELTING. III'M MEEELTIIING.

I might just be a hoarder

at least you can admit it

Now we have to explain what a hobby is on the Codex; we've reached a new low (height) of disconnection to human life.

it'd be different like whoa if the hobby weren't so often so mindlessly smug, but it so often so is. I've been told on this very webbidysite that a game is worth nothing if it doesn't come in a box, with PARIFRALS. and see above comments re: "if you wanna own an object but don't wanna preserve its contents because you might damage its shell in so doing, you've got problems."

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Look, have you never heard of collectors? Some people just get attached to objects. It's satisfying for them to own them. There's nothing else to it.

For RPG collectors there's the added bonus of goodfeels - all those boxes are a reminder of a better, older time, where people put a lot of effort into their releases. Back in the day immersion began with opening the box. Everyone who has ever bought an interactive fiction or old RPG as a kid cannot help but feel something when he thinks about what it was like to unpack the feelies. Or when he was a kid, riding in the car, excitedly reading the manual, or brushing a fingertip against the clothmap, picturing, in his head, how vast the game would be.

Edit: autocorrect corrected manual into memory

Last edited:

mindx2

Patron
I've been told on this very webbidysite that a game is worth nothing if it doesn't come in a box, with PARIFRALS. and see above comments re: "if you wanna own an object but don't wanna preserve its contents because you might damage its shell in so doing, you've got problems."

crawlkill you're still a Codex Bro and I hope you took my tagging of you with the humorous intentions that I wanted.

I have never stated, nor do I remember anyone else saying, that a game isn't worth playing if it doesn't come in physical form. My main point is that those games boxes (and contents) of yore enhanced my enjoyment of the games. I've used the analogy before but it's like going out for a good meal at a fine restaurant. Sure, sometimes I just want a big juicy steak and don't care if it comes on a paper plate but there are times when how the food is prepared and presented that takes my dining experience to the next level. Does that presentation affect the taste of the steak? Yes, even though it's the exact same steak that could have been put on a paper plate. It's the same steak yet the atmosphere and presentation somehow increases my enjoyment and appreciation for the meal. I believe that we've lost that extra effort that went into game making and our hobby is poorer because of it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Even better analogy is whether you want your woman wrapped in expensive lingerie with her hair and makeup tastefully done in a swanky hotel room

or

if you're just as happy rutting with her while she looks like a starving zombie dressed in a barley sack on some piss-stained back alley

The pussy remains the same after all.

dark_savant

Novice

Only complete and mint Morrowind CE has some real value here of all listed games. And that is because of the elder scrolls hype at the moment. Round 5 years ago a guy on ebay listed like 50+ sealed copies of Morrowind CE for 30$ per box. Bought 10 pieces and build up half of my 500+ PC RPG box collection from selling/ trading them.:yeah:

Only complete and mint Morrowind CE has some real value here of all listed games. And that is because of the elder scrolls hype at the moment. Round 5 years ago a guy on ebay listed like 50+ sealed copies of Morrowind CE for 30$ per box. Bought 10 pieces and build up half of my 500+ PC RPG box collection from selling/ trading them.:yeah:

Teach me your ways Master.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mother_of_god_zpsdrstfrqy.gif

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Codex should have a forum for trading or selling boxed games

Hey Anthony Davis,

latest

How can I have also a poster like this with the Fallout logo?
Where can I find the Fallout logo in digital form at this high resolution to print it myself?

Last edited:

dark_savant

Novice
I respectfully disagree with this assessment as many of these go for several hundred dollars. If your finding them cheaper please PM as soon as possible. ;)
Maybe but the magic words are "at this very moment on ebay" and for impatient buyers. Listed prices are a joke most of the time as they are way to high. Average sold for prices are way lower

Also ebay/amazon is not the only source.;) At least here in Europe I can get best stuff with trading/buying in vintage second hand shops or trading fairs.

Over a period of lets say a year you can get most of these in OP for way below 30$ and even the most valuable for way less than 100$. That is in used condition. Sealed ones are of course totally different story.

https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&rct=...OwNx7i5DNB-1x24ktmvMgwA&bvm=bv.99804247,d.bGg

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Best item I ever got for my collection was a nice copy of Ultima 1, missing only the coins. Got it for free from some Vampire the masquerade LARP convention a friend of mine went to. Big boxes of freebies to loot. I've gotten several nice pieces for free in this manner. I suggest getting involved in that sort of thing (or do what I do, hang out with a few filthy ingrate larpers that go to that sort of thing so you don't have to sully yourself with it.)

Yes, please.

mindx2

Patron
Best item I ever got for my collection was a nice copy of Ultima 1, missing only the coins. Got it for free from some Vampire the masquerade LARP convention a friend of mine went to. Big boxes of freebies to loot. I've gotten several nice pieces for free in this manner. I suggest getting involved in that sort of thing (or do what I do, hang out with a few filthy ingrate larpers that go to that sort of thing so you don't have to sully yourself with it.)

Yes, please.
Plus you've taken a few off of my hands over the years :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Hey Anthony Davis,

latest

How can I have also a poster like this with the Fallout logo?
Where can I find the Fallout logo in digital form at this high resolution to print it myself?

Wouldn't that be a request for Bethesda?

Rafal

Literate
Man this collection brings up so many memories. More and more old games is showing up on Steam witch awesome, generally i just buy them just to have them, wish i had time to play them.

mindx2

Patron
Some items arrived today in my morning mail delivery:

Arcanum Map.jpg

ARCANUM CLOTH MAP

Arcanum Newspaper (a).jpg

ARCANUM NEWSPAPER

Arcanum Newspaper (b) (front).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (c) (back).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 2 & 3).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 3).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 4 & 5).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 4).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 5).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 6).jpg Arcanum Newspaper (page 7).jpg Arcanum Newspaper )page 6 & 7).jpg
Photos of each page

... and then a very nice bonus piece that I was also unaware of:

ToEE (front).jpg
ToEE (back).jpg

TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL POSTER MAP (front & back)

A very huge THANK YOU to Sir TimCain for providing these items to be archived and preserved for future gaming generations. It is greatly appreciated... :salute:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Wow, I'm jealous, thanks for sharing.. Could you make higher resolution photos/scan them though mindx2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom