Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Top 74 PC RPGs of All Time: Boxed Edition

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Well, I know what I'll be jerking off to for the next couple of weeks!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also check this:
http://www.eeggs.com/items/33812.html

There is that guy saying in the comments that he also got a newspaper and a t-shirt besides a cloth map. So that makes me think that the cloth map was a promo thing. In that ebay auction I mentioned above it was the game and the big box and the cloth map, but of course that doesn't really mean the cloth map came in the box. That guy could've also gotten it some other way.
TimCain If your lurking, do you have any info on this?! And if you happen to still have some lying around... PLEASE SEND ME A COPY... PRETTY PLEASE!! Anthony Davis maybe you could bug him to read this for me... th.jpg

TimCain

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
There was a cloth map, but I don't remember how they were distributed. I think they were in every first printing edition, but I honestly don't remember.

And there was a newspaper too. It was made to handed out at a press event, so they are much rarer than the cloth map. I know at one time I had some newspapers and some maps, but after several moves, they might have been lost.

Ninjerk

Arcane
There was a cloth map, but I don't remember how they were distributed. I think they were in every first printing edition, but I honestly don't remember.

And there was a newspaper too. It was made to handed out at a press event, so they are much rarer than the cloth map. I know at one time I had some newspapers and some maps, but after several moves, they might have been lost.
Fickle, uncaring god :argh:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Such despicable concentration of loot among first-worlders... the Brazilian release of Arcanum came in a cheap DVD box, with no manual... and the Play & Setup discs where inverted. :cry:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't remember a cloth map for Arcanum, at least the version I bought. :(

IWD came with a REALLY nice quality map though. <3

13630.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane
They don't call Sir Michael Caine "Sir Michael" and you don't call Sir Tim Cain "Sir Tim," you ingrates.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Oh, I did forget one thing... this article is dedicated to crawlkill... :troll:

no matter your spergtastic obsession with capital-t Things, the medium never was and will never be the message. but I can take it in stride, 'cause a couple decades from now the idea that it was worthwhile to move a box around the planet to communicate an idea stored in light will be not just dead, like it is today, but forgotten. we don't have to kill all boxed game owners; you've got a time limit on you.

and as to the list itself, thank fuck we've finally got the same goddamn fucking list of a couple dozen games in a minutely different order from the last time we got the same goddamn fucking list of a couple dozen games. who's gonna stand up for Wizardry 2 as #54 when it's so long been cruelly relegated to #56, it's unjust

That would damage some of the items especially the thicker manuals and strat guides.

I love that these things don't even exist to be used and enjoyed, but merely to be "preserved," unused, forever. when your hobby is beneath a Pixar moral, you've got a problem. you know entropy will take them eventually, right? why is it better that that should happen after X decades of complete neglect than after Y years of use, and, in this specific case, digital immortality? you're worried that the books might be damaged...so that their contents can be preserved? I remember as a kid I tore up, recolored and rebuilt the Warcraft 1 manual, adored the spiral-bound Baldur's Gate 2 manual with its sense of things yet undiscovered inside it. I recognize your boxes and owned a lot of them. but if your positive memories of those things are tied up in the wood pulp and the shitty cover stock, you're letting nostalgia blind you to the actual value: the contents. those are -reminders.- they aren't -what you're being reminded of.- or at least I certainly fucking hope not, if you think something as petty as a fucking box and a CLAWTH MAHP are as important as those games you ranked so highly.

it's hard to joke about this, because it isn't funny. if you care about the container and not about the contents, you're wrong. what was it Terry Pratchett called Ankh-Morpork's dead post office? a gevaisa, a tomb of words? ideas are there to be communicated, not to be locked up and stored. this isn't archivism. this is fetishism.

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Let the middle-aged man enjoy his collecting hobby in peace

hey man he tagged me, he gets to hear my opinion

:lol: :lol:

Damn, you are deranged.

don't worry, the doctors have got me on the antipsychotics and I hear I'll think collecting boxes and strategy guides and ancient dated media long since made eternal in digital form is important any day now. I'll finally be able to live a normal life! hey, could you lend me a floppy drive?

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now we have to explain what a hobby is on the Codex; we've reached a new low (height) of disconnection to human life.

Paper

Educated
In theory I guess I agree with crawlkill but honestly I really don't care. I love amassing tons of games to display on my shelf, reading the manuals and so on. It all might just be nostalgia and I might just be a hoarder (I even keep the boxes for console controllers). Anyway, these boxes wouldn't mean anything to me if it wasn't for the games they represent and contain, that's where I draw the line. I don't buy or keep boxes for games I don't like.

Atomkilla

Arcane
It's sad to see those DVD cases among the boxes of yore. And I'm annoyed over the fact that the several games from the list which I own are "regular" editions. Fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom