Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
why does the Codex keep releasing these fucking lists that always have the same games on them? yes. we know. Baldur's Gate was great. Torment is a powerful character experience in a beautifully-realized world. Fallout brought its setting to life with its brilliant score and memorable dialogue. these things are very true. but there is not a single person on this site who doesn't know it. I'd be much more interested in reading lists that were "Top 10 RPGs we've never mentioned in a list before."
These lists aren't just for the Codex, bro.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'd be much more interested in reading lists that were "Top 10 RPGs we've never mentioned in a list before."
That's exaclty why the list is so long. Ignore the top games and you'll see stuff like Uukrul, Wizards & Warriors, Geneforge, Wizardry 4 and the likes, "RPGs we've never mentioned in a list before".

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
These lists aren't just for the Codex, bro.

I'm sorry? who the fuck else do you imagine just stumbling across this one out there on the internet? if I google "top 70 PC RPGs," I get 38 hits, all of which are to this site. it's not being hosted anywhere else, bro. it's just a codex wank-off. (although I admit that just top pc rpgs, without quotes, does get me this ranking in at number 20, but I bet that's because personalized results float Codex way way up because of my browsing history.)

That's exaclty why the list is so long. Ignore the top games and you'll see stuff like Uukrul, Wizards & Warriors, Geneforge, Wizardry 4 and the likes, "RPGs we've never mentioned in a list before".

while I recognize that this strategy works, the attention that this kind of article draws is of the "omg no BG1 was so much better than BG2" flavor. what's the point of ranking universally loved things against one another? it just baits rancor among nerds who refuse to understand that not everyone has identical preferences.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're trying too hard again, crawlkill

I get 38 hits, all of which are to this site

Not that I give a shit, but the list has been shared on Reddit and NeoGAF, among other places, and received some acclaim. If you think the Codex is some insular community that nobody's heard about then you're wrong. The true degree of our influence is hard to measure, but it's definitely there. After all, you did find this place and register an account, didn't you?

while I recognize that this strategy works

Good, then there's nothing left to discuss.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You care too much bro, relax. ;)

I mean, FFS, look at the level of people you're debating with:

Many of the pre Fallout/BG ones are borderline unplayable and don't belong in any top list made in 2014 except as a historical footnote.

Btw, people should bear in mind that according to my last count (back in the day when I had a higher tolerance for tedious tasks) there were around 170 or so cRPG's (minus MMO) released altogether, so getting into the top 70 ain't exactly as prestigious as it sounds. The number is a guesstimate now, since I stopped maintaining the list ages ago, but it shouldn't be too far off.

:2/5:, would only rage on a bad day.

I consider Jagged Alliance 2 one of the very best CRPGs ever. It is very nonlinear, it has free exploring, you can build up/train 3 sqads (6 chars) of non-anonymous troups with many stat & skill options. On top of that you can roleplay your very own (created) character. Choices with consequences everywhere. Some of the best tactical challenging combat (based on character skills). Many side quests. Interesting story and main quest. Hilarious party interaction. The game features crafting, too. Limited inventory. Tons of items to equip your characters.

-> This game is the complete package of CRPG goodness.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You care too much bro, relax. ;)

I mean, FFS, look at the level of people you're debating with:

Many of the pre Fallout/BG ones are borderline unplayable and don't belong in any top list made in 2014 except as a historical footnote.

Btw, people should bear in mind that according to my last count (back in the day when I had a higher tolerance for tedious tasks) there were around 170 or so cRPG's (minus MMO) released altogether, so getting into the top 70 ain't exactly as prestigious as it sounds. The number is a guesstimate now, since I stopped maintaining the list ages ago, but it shouldn't be too far off.

:2/5:, would only rage on a bad day.

I consider Jagged Alliance 2 one of the very best CRPGs ever. It is very nonlinear, it has free exploring, you can build up/train 3 sqads (6 chars) of non-anonymous troups with many stat & skill options. On top of that you can roleplay your very own (created) character. Choices with consequences everywhere. Some of the best tactical challenging combat (based on character skills). Many side quests. Interesting story and main quest. Hilarious party interaction. The game features crafting, too. Tons of items to equip your characters.

-> This game is the complete package of CRPG goodness.
But no mage duels.
:troll:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
what's the point of ranking universally loved things against one another? it just baits rancor among nerds who refuse to understand that not everyone has identical preferences.

Why ask a question if you're going to give the answer yourself?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
JA 2 definitely isn't a CRPG, but it's a fine strategy game with RPG elements.

Continue.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
The only strategy parts are freeing the cities and the anti rocket sites and install troups to get resources and helicopter flights.

You can beat the game without doing this, playing only with free mercenaries and live only by loot.

It's a tactical fighting CRPG with a few strategy elements.

Main characteristic of pure strategy games:
You are playing mostly with anonymous non-named troups and can't beat the game without them.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
LAPTOP GUY HAS NO STATS!
r2kqrp.jpg

Redlands

Arcane
The list is great, like everyone else I'd probably rank things differently but that's par for the course. The reaction has been hugely entertaining while I've been setting up our new gaming/programming machine.

Congratulations to felipepepe and Crooked Bee, I'll definitely be getting that book when it comes out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I might be convinced to copy-paste all the posts from there if you report the post 20 times

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom