Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

DramaticPopcorn

^edgy opinions from edgy newfag

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No idea what would be objectively the worst RPG I've ever played, probably some shovelware that I don't even remember. But the most disappointing games, and thus leading to an awful playing experience, would be Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. Some of the most banal and boring games I can think of from the top of my head.

Dux

Arcane
Icewind Dale II: an intricate latticework of Satan's own discarded pubes, dipped in rancid algae and honoured with the excrement of a thousand diseased voles.

A rail-roaded plot with retarded "cutscenes", completely uninteresting story, unforgivable padding, circular dialogue, soul-draining combat and general gameplay elements that makes me want to grate my own nutsack rather than play this piece of shit ever again.

Nope, can't say I liked it very much.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Oblivion

In that order, Oblivion had one reedeming feature compared to Skyrim, the setting/scenery was more inspired imo.
I can't wrap my head around how Bethesda is so praised in the game industry and among the general public. I just can't.

Maybe it's the fact that they are the only developer making large, open sand box RPGs, and that their games are very moddable?

Theldaran

Liturgist
In 12 years I've not beaten IWD2 even once. Nor can I find the motivation to do it. On paper, all the powergaming party guides and talk look nice, but the combat and the gameplay is a nightmare. A hard game worth it only for the difficulty (it can be vanquished though), with no traces of what makes a game great. Thanks Sawyer.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
In 12 years I've not beaten IWD2 even once. Nor can I find the motivation to do it. On paper, all the powergaming party guides and talk look nice, but the combat and the gameplay is a nightmare. A hard game worth it only for the difficulty (it can be vanquished though), with no traces of what makes a game great. Thanks Sawyer.
Same here. Made it to the fields of slaughter on my first run and after attempting again last year couldn't be bothered to even make it past the ice temple.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
A hard game worth it only for the difficulty (it can be vanquished though), with no traces of what makes a game great. Thanks Sawyer.

It's not really a hard game. Like with anything IWD they are as hard as you want them to be via your character selections and personal rules (such as max-hp or RNG, friendly fire etc etc etc). The puzzling aspect could be considered harder than a lot of RPGs but they're not really Monkey Island level, most are pretty common-sense. Also, at a certain point, the game becomes a cake-walk aside from the massive set-pieces. What it suffers from is bloat, and it's this bloat which is probably doing what's happening to you and Orobis, the sense that OMG it's just so much of a slog and now I have to do a freakin puzzle, a cycle repeated throughout the game probably more times than is healthy. The lack of overall atmosphere and rather disjointed way its all stuck together. I'm a big fan of the IWD concept and yet even I have a sense of trepidation thinking about committing myself to another IWD2 playthrough.

There are common quit points and the most common is the Ice Temple. Ironically, once you're over-familar with the game, the Ice Temple becomes one of the game's high points as there's some amazingly kickass rewards in there hidden away, but it's about crossing that line to get to the latter stages, that's what can change your views about the game on a dime. I'd recommend trying for completion, but if you really can't then that's not uncommon.

Theldaran

Liturgist
On my longest playthrough I made to Chult, made the yuan ti hostile and couldn't beat them all. My party was poorly built, and that is one of the things that influenced Josh's design guidelines for PoE. The plentiful character options meant there was many ways to create underpowered characters. You can create godly characters, beginning with the more abusive races, but I don't like them so I start with a handicap, pretty much.
The hidden goodness in the Ice Temple making the game turn 180 degrees begs the question of why was it hidden. I understand the concept of gaining your loot through combat, but this? It can be unlocked with a guide, but I'd say it's not the proper way, to make a game significantly easier with secrets. In short, the difficulty and the ordeal that playing the game poses should be better adjusted.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I made to Chult, made the yuan ti hostile and couldn't beat them all.
My favorite part in the game. I remember rescuing that NPC who was forced to fuck all the yuan ti braods and complaining how it was pleasurable at first than got tired of it :lol:. "The body is battered and bruised but the spirit is willing"

Not 100% sure but i think you have no choice but to eventually kill them all, and it is tough, it's one of those typical infinity engine encounters where it's best to just funnel the mobs through a doorway.

That and the holy avenger fight in the crypt where the 2 high points for me, oh and the hook horror ambush on the way to the underdark.

Man, talking about this game is giving me the urge to install/play it again but i know i'm just going to turn it off in disgust before finishing the first chapter.

IWD2 has some fun encounters but idk what it is, just can't push myself to finish it, it's got lots of filler but lacks substance.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure what it is. Give me a J and give me an S. Surprisingly some design approaches carried over to PoE. I think IWD2 has the poorest design of all IE games as it's the final nail in the coffin. Likewise, PoE's worst offenses are at design level.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 3 and Risen, damn. I love those games.

My vote goes to Lionheart. That midstep-animation pause when you stand still... gah. And yeah the rest of the game.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Dragon Age Inquisition. As someone who has played through/into multiple times: All the TES games, all the ME games, Dragon Age I, and Fallout 3 (my only game on this list I cannot stand), I absolutely despised this game. More boring than Oblivion, more superficial choice than Mass Effect, ugly characters that look like characatures, gameplay that makes DA:O look great, mostly terrible characters, MMO design, and terrible story all lead to this game being unbearable past the 4-hour mark to me (and this is coming from the guy who genuinely enjoyed his three playthroughs of Oblivion as a young kid).

Theldaran

Liturgist
Inquisition is true rubbish, and worst thing is that it was given good scores by the corrupt media. True decline.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
blood omen 2, I was really let down by how clunky and bad the gameplay was since I was really into all the other lok games

Lujo

Augur
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2. (Yes, really. I knew tons of people who were enthralled by them but the thing they all had in common was that they haven't read much and this was their gateway not just to fantasy but to... everything ever? I myself yawned and rolled my eyes through the first one, and never actually could get too far into the second one).

Vtm:Redemption (if that's what it was called, the first one, if it counts)

Arcanum (was just clunky as hell, although it had a premise and setting way ahead of it's time in retorspect)

Oblivion ( Oblivion is taking a walk around Germany. I don't live far enough from Germany to find it exotic enough to term it "fantasy", and somebody who loved Morrowind for being exotic and feeling imaginative and disliked Baldurs Gates for being purposefully devoid of any imagination whatsoever can't like this thing. I'm not even a storyfag, Morrowind was a hack and slash walking simulator.)

Diablo II (yes, strange inclusion on the list as if were being honest it's a beat-them-up, but it seemed to lack all the reasons that made the first one an interesting and atmospheric beat-them-up. Including it because it happened to influence a whole lot of stuff that somehow got to be called RPG's later on, beats me why that happened.)

Fallout 2 (It's a great point and click adventure, and a great lost Monkey Island game, but there is and was so much wrong with it, up to and including the whole thing looking non-linear due to obivously missing content cut due to time constraints, that I'd say it was a rather lousy RPG. I still wasted quite a bunch of time on modding it, lol. Funnily enough I don't feel this way about PS:T.)

Fallout 3 (Is sneakily true to some often overlooked interpretations of Fallout 1 that people don't seem comfortable with no matter how obvious and true they are, but is godawful in so many ways it's not even funny)

Shadowrun Hong Kong (If my kid wrote a bunch of the written words in this I would... well, not disown the kid, but I would either beat them if they were in my custody or advise them sincerely to change careers)

Icewind Dales, Neverwiner Nights and all that shovelware isn't worth writing up.

Dungeon Siege, also.

Keldryn

Arcane
Somehow missed this thread...

Fountain of Dreams - the incredibly shitty "sequel" to Wasteland produced in-house at EA.

Knights of Legend - quite possibly the most boring and tedious CRPG I have ever played. Makes D&D 4th Edition battles look short and fast.

Xenosaga Episode I - I'm going to take the term "played" loosely, as I'm pretty damn sure that I spent at least 3.5 of the 5 hours or so that I had logged in the game just watching it. I shit you not, there was one point with back to back cutscenes where I didn't touch the controller for 40 minutes. Then I played for 5 minutes, another cutscenes started, and I shut the game off and traded it in the next time I went to EB.

Daggerfall - very grand and ambitious premise, but repetitive and boring as fuck. It felt like a single player MMO before I even knew what one was. Also extremely buggy. The game crashed on me one time and I had to reboot; when I rebooted I discovered that the master boot record and partition info on all three of my hard drives were wiped out.

Knights of Xentar - shitty hentai Dragon Warrior clone. Played it back in my pirate BBS days when I was young and stupid.

Drakkhen - a confusing and unplayable clusterfuck of a game. Some people seemed to love it but I don't get it. Walking outside, suddenly a constellation comes to life, swoops down, and kills your entire party. Fuck off.

Lords of Midnight (III) - worst controls in any game, ever. Press the left arrow to turn left and then it keeps turning left until you press the right arrow the same number of times. Maybe there was something screwed up on my computer, because this control scheme sounds too moronic to exist. Also extremely boring and repetitive.

Ultima IX - What's a paladin?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

The developers had the ambitions, but not the money. Or the experience. Or anything, what you would need to rescue this game. Sad, because I actually liked the premise.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
DA:I - close da rift, gather 10 shroomies, rinse, repeat

Lands of Lore II - so the game decides arbitrarily to transmute me into a tiny lizard? Why I... oh, killed by some panther flinging poo at me.

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager - really wanted to like this after Shattered Lands, but it was just endless shit combat. Dat ziggurat man

Might & Magic VI: even SJW's agree that killing aboriginals is the best thing about this

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms - wtf is this shit

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - I actually like the char creation

shysnake

Shy Snake
Developer
I'll nominate some old games.

Pyramid 2000 http://www.figmentfly.com/pyramid2000/pyramid.html
It was more about trying to figure out the text parser than it was navigating the dungeon.

Twilight 2000
One of the best character creations experiences in a cRPG I can remember. Then the game starts and you get to experience the map and combat. I rage quit after a couple hours which made it one of the few games I bought but didn't finish.

Not really an RPG but special mention
Battlecruiser 3000AD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom