Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPG's 2013 Edition (poll results)

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pretty surprising that Wizardry 8 was the highest rated Wizardry.

Also I think polls where you can vote on a large number of games without weighting votes will tend to favor the games that are good, but inoffensive. A great but idiosyncratic game will be high on some lists and missing from others, while the inoffensive game will get more votes total just by making it on to more lists.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not sure you know this but I collect and play many of those "Good for it's time" games now.

That's nice, and?
... and nostalgia has nothing to do with thinking a pre-1998 game is better than those that came after ( including many on that top 15 list) especially since I'm playing them in today's day and age. Your argument is weak when you bring out the "You only think their great because you played them 100 years ago"

the TOP15 games on this list that, as stated previously, are better games than the Ultima series.

No, most of them are not. :roll:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pretty surprising that Wizardry 8 was the highest rated Wizardry.

Also I think polls where you can vote on a large number of games without weighting votes will tend to favor the games that are good, but inoffensive. A great but idiosyncratic game will be high on some lists and missing from others, while the inoffensive game will get more votes total just by making it on to more lists.

Yes. When I last did a Top 10 cRPG's list, but you could ONLY vote for 5 games, that instantly made people pause and actually think very very carefully, thus some of the results being a bit different. It is however amusing the top 5 or 6 are ALWAYS basically the same though. You will have to pull Fallout and Planescape from our cold dead hands.....

Giskard

Augur
Fallout being in top spot, what a suprise!!!;)
Great game, not my all time best, but hey, that's internet democracy for you.

I really would have thought that at least one of the Ultima's would have rated in the top 15(17) though, what with so many :obviously: here at the Codex.

Not sure you know this but I collect and play many of those "Good for it's time" games now.

That's nice, and?
... and nostalgia has nothing to do with thinking a pre-1998 game is better than those that came after ( including many on that top 15 list) especially since I'm playing them in today's day and age. Your argument is weak when you bring out the "You only think their great because you played them 100 years ago"

the TOP15 games on this list that, as stated previously, are better games than the Ultima series.

No, most of them are not. :roll:

Here! Here! mindx2...:incline:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
No Chaos Strikes Back, Magic Candle, System Shock 1 or Krynn games among the top 50? : x
Good to see games like Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands doing well, though.

And who among the Codex is the biggest whore conformist, and has most of the top 25 on their own list? I had 8/25.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If only I had played Krondor before, I could have gotten it into the top 15. :rage:

I've only played it for about 5 or 6 hours so far but it's an excellent game. Definitely the most fun I've ever had with a pre-1998 RPG.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Thanks for doing the work on this one Jaesun.

Unfortunately this list is extremely boring, vanilla and mainstream. I'd say it makes us look bad.

I think it would be very difficult to argue that Icewind Dale 2, Vampire, Morrowind, Temple of Elemental Evil and KOTOR2 are actually good games. They're pretty clearly mediocre or "flawed gems" at best. They have good elements, but they also have important elements which are bad. But they're easy to remember when it comes time to fill out your list.

I'm guilty of including TOEE as semi-filler, but I'm proud to have omitted the others. Maybe next time we should be limited to a smaller number of choices.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I obviously disagree with many placements but I think it's overall a pretty good representation. Given the discussions on the codex for the last 3-4 years I expected far worse.
The good: No Dungeon Siege 3, MEh or other craptastic "modern RPGs" on the list. (@Jaesun perhaps you should include a link to the actual poll, so people can see the rules and check up if your counting was correct ;) This also needs to become a news-post.)
The bad: Not even one rogue-like? WTF? I would have liked Incursion, but I would have expected at least ADOM, Nethack or even TOME...

Yeah, the list has some interesting things. Like IWD2 which everyone agrees is rather mediocre...
Fuck you! The third best IE game and easily a top 10 game. You'll stay on my bro-list for now...but I'm watching you.

And fuck PorkaMorka even more. Glad you never even made it onto my bro-list. :M

Lord Andre

Arcane
Kotor 2 at 15 and Vtmb at 6. DAO way way down the line and AP is nowhere to be found. SUCK IT ROGUEY ! You're tastes are too :obviously: for the rest of us.

buzz

Arcane
I gotta say, this was pretty disappointing.
I mean, the older lists at least had Wizardry, Wasteland, RoK and Ultima in the top 20. This one actually has KOTOR 2 over BaK :(

Dark Heart of Uukrul at 48 :cry: that was the reason why I even started lurking in here.
EDIT: Maybe the next one should be multiple threads separated by decades or something like that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Unfortunately this list is extremely boring, vanilla and mainstream. I'd say it makes us look bad.
You're just too deep in the bubble, allow me to show you what is REALLY mainstream:

Our Top 5 vs NEOGaf & IGN lists:

#1- Fallout 1
Was #94 at NG, #34 at IGN.

#2 - PS:T
Was #6 at NG, #13 at IGN.

#3 - Fallout 2
Was #54 at NG, #28 at IGN.

#4 - BG2
Was #9 at NG, #3 at IGN.

#5 - Arcanum
Was fucking #130 at NG, and did not even appear on IGN's list.

Also, Temple of Elemental Evil, Gothic 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 didn't make ANY of both lists as well. Again, IGN listed 100 RPGs and NEOGaf listed 150, but none of them even considered 3 of the Codex's top 15 RPGs of all time. BIOWARE and worshiping MCA (he's quite the pop star recently) is the only real link of the Codex's RPG taste with the outside world.

So it does have some personality and codexian flavour, and it's far from mainstream. It shows that we love Tim Cain & Troika more than MCA and there are lot's of tactical combat fags around. The closest list there is to ours is /v/'s, and while the top ones are similar, they throw ToEE as "average" (together with F3 and Oblivion - the nerve!) and don't even place JA2 on the list, not to mention the ammount of BioWare fapping:

vidyaq2dpt.jpg

So yeah, Codex's still a very special place. :P

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think it would be very difficult to argue that ... Temple of Elemental Evil ... are actually good games. They're pretty clearly mediocre or "flawed gems" at best.

Wait, what!? This might just be the rye talking, but I'd say it's the best implementation of D&D in a game (with the possible exception of Gold Box stuff if you prefer 1st and 2nd ed). Yeah, maybe they stuck a bit close to the module, including boring-ass walking around Hommlet, but the system they put in there is fantastic.

:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom