Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Wasteland 2

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, both games are good for what they are, so I guess he wasn't lying :smug:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller Good job as always my friend. After all these years reading and talking to you about our favorite hobby we seem to enjoy similar games. So if you enjoyed W2 then I suspect I will as well. I look forward to putting some serious time into this game during my Christmas break.

:thumbsup:

However, I'll be lucky if my Signed Collector's Survival edition will come in time.... :x

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How come nobody has linked my favorite VD reviews from that Mutants site; Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas
Speaking of that, what is worse for my KKK cred' liking Oblivion or Fallout 3?
I actualy prefer Skyrim over both but just because I got such a gorgeous waifu there...

Tigranes

Arcane
How come nobody has linked my favorite VD reviews from that Mutants site; Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas
I actualy prefer Skyrim over both but just because I got such a gorgeous waifu there...

Mathematical calculation does not occur, if you like either one there is an immediate annulment of your kodex privileges

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mark Morgan's tracks are better than Aphex Twin's.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nah... no way he meant that. No way man.

Pretty sure he just means that the only way to play Fallout 3 without getting brian damage is by closing your eyes and mashing random buttons.

You can still hear her.

fallout04.jpg

And even a nuclear bomb can't kill her.

tumblr_m02xq9gN8q1qiea3go1_500.jpg

No question, Oblivion should be worse, and the only doubt comes from the possibility that a significant portion of current codexers were too young to be experience its full awfulness or perhaps played it as 'baby's first rpg'. Oblivion CREATED the modern codex. Before then, we had a dry patch and a disappointing industry state. Oblivion was what brought us the decline.

But moreover, post Oblivion, Bethesda has been a learning animal. Morrowind was their last game that I liked, but their decline was more like a cliff-dive landing splatt on the granite below before dragging their broken and mangled remains slowly to the start of the hill again (ie Oblivion was their low point). The game mechanics are a ton more playable in FO3, and there are some good questlines - in fact, quests outside the main path are surprisingly decent, with a couple of genuinely excellent quest lines ('the replicated man' in particular, though as far as detective quests go it still doesn't come close to the best of morrowind's unmarked quests like finding the cure for 3rd stage vampirism). Level scaling still sucks, but nowhere near as much as Oblivion, and that goes for most mechanics - for all their flaws there's a genuine attempt to address the worst aspects of Oblivion's design while remaining playable by retards.

It's one of the reasons I rate modern Bethesda over modern bioware. I can see players encountering oblivion as their first ever RPG, then playing something slightly improved and more complicated in fo3,then obsidian' fo:NV and then moving on to find quality crpgs.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Sort of a "gateway drug" RPG? Yeah I like that
And hell yeah I prefer F3 to Oblivion; I also felt it was like a Fallout theme park which if you didnt take to seriously and glossed over meaningless details (like 200 old nuke cola still beign drinkable; I once drank a Coke after it expiration date and felt like I had drinken drano) or their radioactivo water problem but the game itself is fun in a make belive kind of way.
Also with mods that fix the damage of bullets and level scaling the game is just fine...Oblivion is simply unfixable

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As a side note I decided to check the IGN articles on Faggot Age Incertion and belive it or not roughly half of them are about the sexual preferentes of your companions, tastefull sex scenes and the like...at least Bethesda is more focused on so so quest design rather than naughty bits

Kz3r0

Arcane
Plz, the writting in Fallout 3 si brilliant. The problem is the low resolution graphix.
True, it was so self-conscious that definetively proved that they are doing it on purpose not because they are incompetent.

Drakan

Novice
This---->"Wasteland 2 is the second game and the instigator of what is probably an RPG renaissance."

I'm glad InXile had the 'cojones' that opened the door to this new wave of old-school RPGs. Couldn't be happier as a big fan of Black Isle.

the_dagon

Educated
"RPGs have essentially been dead since 2005". "Wasteland 2 is the second game and the instigator of what is probably an RPG renaissance".... Hmmm...

OK, it's ONE of the instigator of what is an RPG renaissance, but you can't say RPGs have essentially been dead since 2005.

What about Fallout 3, Risen 1-2, Dragon Age Origins (not the sequels), Fallout New Vegas, Legend of Grimrock, Game of Thrones RPG, Shadowrun Returns+Dragonfall, Might & Magic X Legacy, Divinity OS... ?
Even if you narrow the list, there is still more than one true RPGs in between.

I think Wasteland 2 (with its' kickstarter campaign) had been one of he instigator of a whole wave of old-school RPGs, but it's only representative of what a category of gamers (us) demand.

I hope however that the actual kickstarter fatigue won't last...

(sorry for my english, not my native language)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"RPGs have essentially been dead since 2005". "Wasteland 2 is the second game and the instigator of what is probably an RPG renaissance".... Hmmm...
"Essentially" would be the key word.

What about Fallout 3, Risen 1-2, Dragon Age Origins (not the sequels), Fallout New Vegas, Legend of Grimrock, Game of Thrones RPG, Shadowrun Returns+Dragonfall, Might & Magic X Legacy, Divinity OS... ?
In order: shit, meh/shit, not bad, great*, not bad, meh, fucking joke/better than a fucking joke, not bad but it aint wizardry, not my cup of tea at all.

* the best game on the list is an expansion suffering from a horrible engine and crappy character and combat systems.

Rake

Arcane
"Essentially" would be the key word.

In order: shit, meh/shit, not bad, great*, not bad, meh, fucking joke/better than a fucking joke, not bad but it aint wizardry, not my cup of tea at all.

* the best game on the list is an expansion suffering from a horrible engine and crappy character and combat systems.
^That.
Exept the Shadowrun Returns+ Dragonfall part, which as far as i'm concerned it's the best game on the list.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think it's very fruitful to bring up SRR, D:OS and M&MX, which were released shortly before WL2. You should look at the time of WL2's Kickstarter, i.e. early 2012.

naossano

Cipher
What about Fallout 3, Risen 1-2, Dragon Age Origins (not the sequels), Might & Magic X Legacy... ?

Those are amongs the reasons the RPG is said to be dead. The market was crowded with fake RPG while the real ones were few and far between.
The overwhelming amount of fake RPG is what contributed in making the concept of RPG meaningless, killing it essentially.
Is there a codex's guide that explain it better for those unfamiliar with the concepts defended here ?
So many years without RPG that it is understandable that many young people might not know what it is or simply forgot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom