Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the other is trying to be vampire Deus Ex
...and fails at it, degenerating into pure FPS pretty fast.

To the extent that is true, so does Deus Ex. In both cases you have to choose to play the game the "hard way." I will concede that unlike Deus Ex, the narrative stops supporting multiple styles of role-playing in the last third and becomes a grind fest, but the process isn't "quick" -- abrupt, though.

V_K

Arcane
"Pretty fast?" Bloodlines doesn't become an FPS until the mission to find the sewers way into Act 3.
I dunno what happens in Act 3, I got fed up with it by the zombie mission. And the first combat slog, lacking any kind of alternative solutions, happens at the end of Act 1, IIRC.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I dunno what happens in Act 3, I got fed up with it by the zombie mission. And the first combat slog, lacking any kind of alternative solutions, happens at the end of Act 1, IIRC.
AFAIK, ALL combat in Act 1 can be avoided, with the exception of the painting guardian.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Pretty fast?" Bloodlines doesn't become an FPS until the mission to find the sewers way into Act 3.
I dunno what happens in Act 3, I got fed up with it by the zombie mission.

"The zombie mission"? Are you talking about the graveyard in Act 3 that's an optional quest? That can be solved in non-violent fashion?

Ninjerk

Arcane

"The zombie mission"? Are you talking about the graveyard in Act 3 that's an optional quest? That can be solved in non-violent fashion?
I never did that quest. I figured it was a combat trap as soon as the guy asked for help or w/e.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Probably the infested hotel in Act 2. You don't have to kill everything there though.

Those are not zombies, they're ghouls, and everything about that place is really cool. The combat isn't overwhelming inside the mansion either.

Game's combat is pretty easy anyway, and it's not as bad as people say (though it isn't great either).

I never did that quest. I figured it was a combat trap as soon as the guy asked for help or w/e.

Nope. You can solve that quest in two non-violent fashions IIRC.

I know you can get him a prostitute, and I think there's also another option.

We're talking about different places. This place was in town, a hotel of some kind where that Bishop character has made his lair.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If there were brofists, Aeschylus' post would now have a bunch of them. Instead we have 3 to 1 in favor of a mediocre game.

Notice how the lack of brofists can completely alter a reader's perception of a thread, and by extension of popular Codex opinion in general. They really are a valuable tool.
:bro:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Infinitron would defend brofists, given how many he's harvested with newsposts. In the old days, I would have gotten a brofist for this.

V_K

Arcane
Probably the infested hotel in Act 2. You don't have to kill everything there though.
It's more like you can't kill everything there - they respawn indefinitely.

We're talking about different places. This place was in town, a hotel of some kind where that Bishop character has made his lair.

Also a sidequest I believe.
Yep, the Brotherhood.
It's semi-optional in that IIRC you have to do it to get the Tremere ending.

Edit: ninjaed by Zero Credibility.

V_K

Arcane
AFAIK, ALL combat in Act 1 can be avoided, with the exception of the painting guardian.
I might be wrong on that, but I remember lots of unescapable fighting involved in blowing up the warehouse.

No, you can sneak by through that entire mission (and get bonus xp points for doing just that). The blood guardian and the ambush at the diner are the only forced combat parts that I remember in Act 1. Plus a few more that are optional (the chinese spy and the prosthetic psycho).

Harold

Arcane
All combat, except boss fights, can be avoided with stealth and/or obfuscate. There are only two missions when you need both stealth and obfuscate to avoid combat and they are both very late game: Hellowbrook Hotel and the Blood Hunt before getting in the cab. (maybe Andrei's little creepy crawlers as well but I'm not so sure)

Obligatory IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN BLOODLINES REDEMPTION

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It has some cool ideas. Otherwise just go ahead and replay it with a Tessera nude mod or somethin', it's not like you're doing me a favour.

No, I mean it. I couldn't find an About page with a quick summary of the mod on their site. What is it? TC a la The Nameless Mod?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow, this looks really nice:

hud_combat.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom