Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Valkyria Chronicles

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and then including a big bad scary red empire in the east

If that's what they did, then it seems pretty realistic to me. Good on them.

But still:

Game sounds like weaboo crap

Fixed.

I fully agree. I would say something similar to devs of this game if I had the chance.
Story about a small country torn by war between it's bigger neighbours? I'm perfectly fine with that.
Naming the continent/area Europe, drawing a map really similar to the real one and then including a big bad scary red empire in the east? Nah, I'll pass. It's the devs who shouldn't have gotten all political about it.

Kotaku is that way, sir ---->

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Weeaboo gigglesquee headnomming made-for-console garbage isn't monocled enough for publication on the Codex news feed. This is an outrage.

361a416b81.png

Haha, fags!

:negative:

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm tempted to try it but that weird merger of turn-based combat and third-person popamole seems incredibly unnatractive from a glance. If it was just regular turnbased I'd probably be already playing it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm tempted to try it but that weird merger of turn-based combat and third-person popamole seems incredibly unnatractive from a glance. If it was just regular turnbased I'd probably be already playing it.

That bothered me at first too, but I really liked how this combat worked after I played it a few times and understood it.

Athelas

Arcane
Everything you do is decided by your stats though, you don't aim like you would in a real shooter. Admittedly there is a 'twitch' element in that you have to exit movement mode/end your turn as fast as possible to prevent attacks of opportunity/cover-fire.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every shit that has a progression bar is nowadays an RPG worthy of a Codex review.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Welkin Gunther is not that bad compared to the regular anime MC. He seems really wise ( Hector Calvey should have been the MC), also the english VAs are great and my thanks SEga for alsoincluding the japanese ones. Its a really nice game with tons of potential except for the damn AI, the turn based system is a great concept and should be used more. And the Edelweiss is beautiful.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Valkyria Chronicles is 'k for what it is. I don't care for the overlong cutscenes and japanese character tropes. But the gameplay is entertaining. That's what matters the most.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I felt a strange affection when I first stumbled over Valkyria Chronicles,
it stroke some chords I couldn't make out, that whispered to me,
that I shall buy it, don't bother still having bought no x-mas
presents. I was able to resist, but I feel, should there come
one of those late evenings, a glass of beverage, I'd find it in
my steam library the next day...

... I think I should stop drinking, this instant.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Barely an RPG? Check.
Weeabo? Check.
Positive review? Check.

In before :mob:
I'd actually agree that it's barely an RPG and overuses anime tropes, but it's also a good and - equally importantly for me at least - very unique and innovative strategy game.

Don't care if the game is good. Will not play anything where Eastern Europeans are evil and main characters feel good about killing them.
:butthurt:
Fun fact: they really don't feel all that great about killing them. In the story sequences that is, the gameplay "fuck yeah headshot" animations are a different matter :P
Something something ludonarrative dissonance (I love it)

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Tactical Turnbased. ♪♫
Squad based. ♪
Character progression. ♫
Recruit management.♫
Less-exploited setting. ♪
If the devs were non-Japanese Codex would fap like there's no tomorrow.
I reckon it has less to do with the devs being Japanese, and more to do with the art (and apparently writing?) being anime as fuck.

I'd be shocked if the average Codexer wouldn't prefer say Nobunaga's Ambition (Jap devs, not animu) to something like Sunrider (Western devs, animu as fuck). Of course, the non-animu Japgames get translated only once in a blue moon because that's not what the weeaboo hordes want.

Anyway, I know nothing about the game, but from the review this seems more like TacCancer material than RPGCodex, and god knows TacCancer needs more content. Will buy for $4.99 in a Steam sale like I do anything else that might not be terrible.

omega21

Arcane
I think there's just an inherent anti anime bias on the dex, I used to be like this 3 years ago, hating anything with big eyes.

Admittedly it's highly justified since 90% of anything is shit and animus is no exception.
:negative:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
it's almost like the codex didn't play VC3 in a emulator already

casuals

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom