Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Undertale

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Consider this post an answer "from the hip" - but the fact that you couldn't afford $10 to buy the full game and find out for yourself, and instead chose to consult walkthroughs/playthroughs and spoil the whole thing for yourself, kinda says it all.

The demo only gives you a taste of things...but the one thing it does NOT do, is give you anything about what consequences your choices will have. Yeah, that makes it kind of a weak demo (by your standards of "game needs to show me RIGHT NOW what's it's on about") but there you go.

Also, the way you set up your query ("give us examples of this awesomeness") betrays your bias. I NEVER stated that the game was awesome...merely something to take notice of. But you immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the best thing since sliced bread, and are quite ready (if not eager) to express disappointment when ANY answer I give will fail to meet your standards. And all this before I repeat the part in my post about people that choose to comment on the game without playing it. USUALLY that approach can be used to discover a game for what it really is, and in all likelyhood Undertale is no exception to that rule, but I feel better off after having played through the game - a notion I cannot share with so many other games being discussed in-depth nowadays.

There are certain items of contemporary media that lose their meaning if they're spoiled beforehand. Books, films, even some pieces of music. And in a few isolated circumstances, games. You took one of the "game" instances and ruined it for yourself...terrific, congratulations, get your handshakes where available...but at the same time you lost something that you can't get back. Don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Undertale is just another game...another form of entertainment media.

T. Reich

Arcane
Consider this post an answer "from the hip" - but the fact that you couldn't afford $10 to buy the full game and find out for yourself, and instead chose to consult walkthroughs/playthroughs and spoil the whole thing for yourself, kinda says it all.

That's exactly the kind of attitute UT fanbois have that is extremely offputting. 10$ can buy me Underrail, which is an actual CRPG for starters, which is actually good without "but we won't tell you why" bullshit, which has tons more of content, etc etc.
For some bizarre reason, Underrail, one of the most anticipated games on the Codex, still doesn't have an official review.
Instead we got a "review" for JRPG-lite at best (which actually looks more like action-adventure game straight out of late 80s/early 90s), with hordes of rabid fans jumping at anyone who dares to say that they don't like it, or who questions what this review is even doing on the front page of the website claiming to be devoted to CRPGs, especially of the monocled variety.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

That's exactly the kind of attitute UT fanbois have that is extremely offputting. 10$ can buy me Underrail, which is an actual CRPG for starters, which is actually good without "but we won't tell you why" bullshit, which has tons more of content, etc etc.
For some bizarre reason, Underrail, one of the most anticipated games on the Codex, still doesn't have an official review.
Instead we got a "review" for JRPG-lite at best (which actually looks more like action-adventure game straight out of late 80s/early 90s), with hordes of rabid fans jumping at anyone who dares to say that they don't like it, or who questions what this review is even doing on the front page of the website claiming to be devoted to CRPGs, especially of the monocled variety.

Just pirate it like I did, play it for 30-45mins and realise its exactly like the most cynical comment suggests. I cannot fathom at all that people think this is a RPG, and a good game. This is gone home/life is strange tier.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Instead we got a "review" for JRPG-lite at best
You mean the significantly shorter game that was released earlier than the game that supposedly has around 60-80 hours of game time per playthrough got a review before the other? What a shock!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey Codex, I played Fallout for 30 minutes and it didn't have many consequences, what gives? Where's this so-called brilliance?
Then I even tried the demo and it was just some dumb tiny town. I couldn't change anything in it. Some shitty game you guys are praising, LOL

(It's certainly a jRPG-lite, but then, the front page reviews rogue-lites that have less in common with Nethack or ADOM and more with some Apple product...)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's a four hour long game you fucks and the same argument applies to fucking Fallout.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i'd say 30 minutes of a 4-hour-long game would be more representative than 30 minutes of a 30-hour-long game (or whatever would be the standard fallout length anyway)

also if not even the demo is supposedly representative and you have to buy it seven times for all your friends then i'd say there is something fishy going on here

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You can't judge it by the demo, you can't judge it after 20% completion, you can't explain what's good about it due to spoilers. Trope subversion goty 10/10.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
What's there to explain? You either like it or you don't. It's a game about charming characters, and if you don't find them charming, then there's no point in playing it. I'd be surprised if any Russians liked this game, for example. Russians have cold, hard souls, that only know struggle and battle. They do know love, but it is buried, frozen in their icy hearts.

Oh yeah.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's a four hour long game you fucks and the same argument applies to fucking Fallout.
Please go out back and shoot yourself. That will teach you to compare shit tier with God tier.

EDIT: I watched 15 minutes of a guy playing this on twitch. I have no clue why would anyone want to play this.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
EDIT: I watched 15 minutes of a guy playing this on twitch. I have no clue why would anyone want to play this.
Clearly an excellent way to get information. If you watched 15 minutes of a guy playing Fallout on twitch it'd probably involve him reloading half a dozen times to pick some locks and find nothing but worthless garbage.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game needs to be seen as a whole. Yes, it's true it's a bit bland the first hour or maybe even more. It's the whole experience that makes it great tho, this game cannot be judged by just playing it for half an hour. And watching it on twitch for 15 minutes and then judging it is a whole new level of edginess

Revenant

If you are ambitious enough to create a game that can only be appreciated as a whole, be so kind and design it so that every moment playing it is brilliant. No one will suffer through linear, boring, repetitive gameplay for a few hours just because someone guaranteed him that after that it will pay off.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Look, you're either entertained by the characters/humor or you're not. This isn't really an RPG as much as a story that uses RPG elements to help tell itself.

We're not saying "you need to see the entire movie before it's good"
We're saying "the entire movie is pretty good and has a great ending"

If you watch the "movie" for an hour and you don't like humor or the characters, well... it's just not for you. Hell, I don't like sports games. No harm, no foul.

Comedy is and has always been very hit or miss. Some people like irony, some like dry wit, some enjoy puns, some really dig black humor...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Clearly an excellent way to get information. If you watched 15 minutes of a guy playing Fallout on twitch it'd probably involve him reloading half a dozen times to pick some locks and find nothing but worthless garbage.
Can you brainless retards stop comparing this trash with fallout?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Can you stop pretending watching someone else play 15 minutes of a game is a valid way of forming an opinion?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom