Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Undertale

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: UnderTale

Absent an Underrail review, and to celebrate the newly arrived year MMXV-2, we have decided to review Undertale instead -- another great indie RPG and a surprise hit that took Metacritic by storm. Resident Undertale aficionado Bubbles having been occupied with another high-profile project (i-it's not like he wanted to review it anyway!), we asked esteemed community member felipepepe to explain just why Undertale is a brilliant game:

TL;DR: Undertale is a brilliant game, and the less you know about it before going in, the better.​

Still willing to proceed?

And that's because, despite the Earthbound-ish elements, Undertale stands on its own as something entirely unique. Not only due to its design choices, but also to the amazing quality of the game as a whole. From the artwork to the soundtrack, from character design to battle systems, Undertale is easily one - if not THE - most coherent and consistent game I've ever played, where everything exists for a reason and I couldn't imagine it any other way.​

Then do so at your own risk. Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Undertale

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
vomiting%2Bblood.gif

plz tell me more about the evocative lyric suiteness of the esoteric tsunderplane

:decline:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is this another one of those "let's get moar womyn into gaming" things? Because this "game" looks gay as hell.

rrc2soft

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love this game. I hope that some of its best elements (battle interactions, integrated storytelling, C&C, characterization...) will influence future RPGs (and JPRGs once it is translated and released in Japan). Although that influence might be positive (good game design) or negative (pandering to rabid fanbase)... future will tell...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game looked to me gay as fuck.

But seeing how everyone was praising it I decided to watch some gameplay on youtube.

After few minutes of that I came to conclusion its gay as fuck.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

But seeing how everyone was praising it I decided to watch some gameplay on youtube.

Joke's on you when Undertale wins the GOTY poll because everyone who's played it rates it a 5/5.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Joke's on you when Undertale wins the GOTY poll because everyone who's played it rates it a 5/5.

Seeing how we have Mass Effect on our top RPG list nothing would shock me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is this another one of those "let's get moar womyn into gaming" things? Because this "game" looks gay as hell.
Not at all. The character not having a gender is pretty much a throwback to some old games where that was a thing- the character was as blank a slate as possible so you could mentally insert yourself into the situation. The character is also so young that their gender is highly irrelevant- the only 'romance' aspects in the game are jokes. Ditto with the gay characters- an actual SJW game wouldn't dare make fun of their sacred cow, but in here you can make a closeted pair of gay dudes abandon a fight to go hook up immediately (off screen obviously, it's a gag, not a bioware scene.)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm afraid of playing it. Is it like Life is Strange or something?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

+ Music is pretty awesome.
+ Truly unique. Brings something new to the table. Mostly meta 4th wall breaking stuff.

- Weeaboo bullshit at heart.
- It tries to do some srs drama and absurd abstraction at the same time. I don't think you can have both.

Give it a try if you have some spare time. And don't mind some weeaboo radiation.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's very easy compared to any SHMUP really, but the bullet patterns do have enough personality to make me want to weave through them. It sucks that the attack input is ridiculously simplistic, though. Also the Omega Flowey fight giving you a fuckton of HP wasn't a cool thing to do, as it killed all suspension.
I give it the Best EuroSHMUP Award

Zanzoken

Arcane
How pre-teen girl joke games become popular and make millions of dollars

take game which is:popamole: :codexisfor: :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues: :desu:

PLUS a mass of tryhards who desperately want to be seen as :obviously:

EQUALS :hype:

and lots of :takemymoney:

meanwhile people who like actual RPGs are :x

and also a little :butthurt:

HotSnack

Cipher
I'm guessing that this is just a formality by the staff. Can't wait for undertale to be listed under the codex curator page. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom