Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Underrail

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Click here and disable ads!
    Preview of Exc game models.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jazz_ Savant

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:
    You said that Styg didn't create any art, and that's true, he paid some artists and I linked the portfolio of one of said artists (Mark Wowk) while you didn't, you just wanted to shit on Styg. You also reiterated on that ''the artist who Styg paid could not hold a candle to Vinnie'' implying that VD did indeed create the art for the game, which he didn't apparently, so basicly you shot yourself in the foot and exposed yourself again for the not so bright fanboy with an agenda you are. There's no developers dick contest as far as I'm concerned, I don't even know what Styg and VD did in their respective games, I only know the artists who worked for Underrail because I was compelled to look for their work as I was impressed with it, that didn't happen in AoD hence my ignorance about who did the art. And you brought up the whole AoD dick contest thing, as you always do when Underrail is discussed, and I merely gave my opinion on that. You of course went mad and on insane inconsequential rants (you hate muh favorite game, you must liek popamole, graphic whore, buahhh :lol:). Oh well, [​IMG] gonna [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Darth Roxor passing out Goldfists like candy to anyone who shits on the game because he's too lazy to walk his character around unless it's wearing rocket skates and there are fast travel nodes literally everywhere—premier poster and contributor to the Codex, 2017.

As we all know, inclined game design is based on moving you from exposition point to exposition point as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Perhaps fast travel points at only two orthagonals of each room rather than all four would be a happy medium for you?

Also, the character only moves at approximately the speed of a skateboarding Marty McFly hitching a ride on Biff's car, rather than 88 MPH.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    rocket skates would definitely improve the underrail experience that's for sure

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Three orthagonals per room, and the character moves at the speed of an Asian woman crashing through the front wall of Bed Bath & Beyond after hitting the gas instead of the brake. Best I can do.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. orcinator Learned

orcinator
    Parrots:

Even ants can tell that AoD looks like puke dude.

(though having a grafix discussion when both games look bad by last decade' standards is silly)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. FritzedProcess Educated

FritzedProcess
    Parrots:
    Ok, setting aside the matter of whether coming to a discussion about one game to shill for another is silly or pathetic (or both), I think we can all agree that TW3 has the better graphics.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

^ Top  
  8. Twiglard Learned

Twiglard
    Parrots:
    I very much like Underrail's consistent art direction, i.e. lack of saturation, and selective use of saturation. It doesn't look grimdark despite that which seems contradictory at first.

Given project size, you'd kinda expect mismatched generic asset packs, but here not at all.

Wish characters had proper move speed on diagonals %^&*()

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Orobis Arcane Sychophantic Noob

Orobis
    Parrots:
    So fucking tempted to make an alt account just to troll Lurkerking and the AoD fanboys.

Anyways, Underrail is great but like other posters have already mentioned it's not without it's faults (walking speed, writing, respawns, backtracking)

You came off bit too biased MediantSamuel but otherwise, good job for your first review :salute:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    My only problem with the game, other than a retarded character that ruins the story is the stupid nerfs to skills and feats post launch, very weak shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lord Azlan Arcane Patron Shitposter

Lord Azlan
    Parrots:
    Quite a nice review.

Highlighted some of the 'Aces' such as Crafting, Combat and Character Creation options. C&C&C&C or aka C4.

Some people like collecting stuff and tinkering and comparing to see if they can get a +5% on something or what not. It's a nice escape and you don't have to do it although many people have said Crafting is very important to be a success in the game. I spent quite a bit of time trying to improve my armour and then pondering whether making your own potions factory would be worth it. I then started to focus on the advanced techno gear before I stopped playing.

I thought the character creation and development element was very well done. If I had time I would try and do a melee and then a gun character. Still might do. It seems you could become expertise in maybe 3-4 skills so you could mix a bit. I also liked the various tools that can be used to open stuff - and the funny little image that comes on screen.

The review was a bit too positive though - would like to have seen a bit more criticism although you mention the non-map and endless walking.

I think I could work around not having a map, that could be solved by my own repeated play and muscle memory. Maybe even a little pad and paper.

Endless walking around to and fro is a biggy in my opinion. Even Ultima 4 and Bards Tale 1 implemented some sort of travel devicing and I would imagine the designers of this game could have introduced something to save time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenix Arbiter

Fenix
    Parrots:
    They actually look better lol. They look better than PoE e.g., I can see many details on a character in DR and in Underrail, while I have problems to see it in other games.
    Maybe it is a problem becauseI'm using a notebook, and not a real monitor.
    Anyway I can't honestly say that Underrail and Age of Decadence look bad.
    Art there is better then in like 95% of games.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Age of decadence looks fugly as hell, the fact that you have to zoom far the fuck out to hide details and make it somewhat passable should have given that away. The animations are stiff, the graphics are low detail and if it wasnt for the color pallete id have troubles telling what game it is.
    Underrail has a very distinct look and feel that fit perfectly with the atmosphere. We dont have to see ugly as shit graphics like those we get in krai mira or wasteland 2. Underrail simply nails it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. I'm With Her Tommy Wiseau for prison Arcane

Tommy Wiseau
    Parrots:
    AoD's visuals are a reflection of Vinney's soul.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Can you show us on the doll where VD touched you?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Thanks for the review, MediantSamuel . Not the best review I have ever read, but by writing it you have become a more productive member of the community than 99% of people on the forums.
    :bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)