Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Underrail

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Iluvcheezcakegender: ⚧ Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Christian! Halleluyah praise the Lord!

^ Top  
  2. thesoupgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesoup
    Parrots:
    Is he really? Sounds too good to be true.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. GuiltyofBeingTritegender: ⚧ Learned

GuiltyofBeingTrite
    Parrots:
    Fantastic game with a mind-numbingly boring and tedious end.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Jazz_gender: ⚧ Erudite

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    It's just art imitating life.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Don't remember whan this happened with me last time in Underrail.
    If you move it is more likely becaus you run from enemy, not because any cooldowns involved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DawnrazorDCLXVIgender: ⚧ Learned

DawnrazorDCLXVI
    Parrots:
    Really great review. I've been waiting to try this gem until I can give it my full, undivided attention.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Gwendogender: ⚧ Liturgist

Gwendo
    Parrots:
    I really wanted to enjoy the game and I think there was point, early in development, where I was enjoying it. I waited for the official release to come back to it and it suffered one of the most frustrating things in turn based games: 80% of your hits miss the target. Even when building a charcter with, supposedly, all the right stats to mitigate that. In this game, it's even worse because of the limited resources, so not only are you missing a lot and that's annoying, but the feeling of waste aggravated everything.

Also, rats that can be sponges to bullets are a big NO in my book.

I don't know if there was a balance patch or something... If yes, I'll give it another go.

(Also, so many stats/skills and no way to know which ones are more important or how often they will get used until it's too late and starting again is a chore.)

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Well, yes, you run from the enemies because your abilities are inactive and you can't kill them.

I would assume there are builds that don't do this that much, but this is a thing that WILL happen if you have cooldowns.

^ Top  
  9. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    :lol: the butthurt of some faggots about Underrail getting voted codex GOTY is extremely amusing.

• Agree x 20
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jazz_gender: ⚧ Erudite

Jazz_
    Parrots:
    Cooldowns make the combat more challenging in Underrail, you need a limit on spamming your special abilities anyway, if it was tied to a fatigue/points system it would arguably be worse because you wouldn't be as compelled to come up with stuff out of necessity to win the encounters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MotherMachinaegender: ⚧ Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    You forgot about McGuffin - The Cube. Cause most Fallouts (with exception of Tactics and maybe FO4, did not played that one so I have no clue) have one object that drive the whole story.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Well, I move for that I can break LoS for enemies like psi-bugs, or to position myself.
    As a psion you always have something without cooldown, as a crossbower - same, as pistolero - same.
    You know, you can just shoot without fancy tricks.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    I don't think Underrail and Fallout have much in common except for the fact that Styg was inspired by his love for the original Fallout. That's what I understand.

Original Styg quote from 2012:

The most interesting thing about Underrail is that it stands on his own: you cannot have an Underrail experience in another game while CYOA bullshit is common nowadays.

The entire discussion about "Underrail is the heir of Fallout" is simply retarded because MediantSamuel never said that in the original review.

In the end I do think Underrail is the closest thing we got compared to the original Fallout(s).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    I've played just enough to confirm this remains the same.

As for accuracy, well you can get 95% with a gun if you're really close.

^ Top  
  15. Black Angelgender: ⚧ Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Ah, yes. The difference is, while the McGuffin of the Fallouts (the Water Chip, the GECK, and the Chip) were shown to you at the very start of the game, in Underrail the Cube wasn't shown to you until fairly in the middle game.

I also forgot to mention that
    Show Spoiler
    the Core City is basically a reference to New Reno, with Arena being the main appeal and all of the vices it brought to the City. The City is also evenly distributed among 3 factions/oligarchies, as opposed to the 4 New Reno's Families. In some way, it's also a reference to New Vegas by having the Dropzone basically its version of Freeside, or maybe New Reno's Golgotha.

Huh? Which rats are sponges to bullets? The Alphas?

The bottomline of every build is to raise offensive/defensive/subterfuge/social skills to the max every level-up during early-to-mid game, and only really start putting points into technology around mid-game when you're going to start finding mid-high quality components, or mostly on 2nd playthrough where you know it's going to be needed. As for stats, it depends on your build, like raising STR/DEX for Melee/Throwing/wearing heavy armors/wielding rifles, PER for Guns/Crossbow, WIL for PSI. Basically if you want crafting, you get at maximum 7 INT if you want all the feats, or 4 + 2/1 from Junkyard Surprise for the crafting skills bonus, or 3 if you want to skip it altogether.

^ Top  
  16. Crescent Hawkgender: ⚧ Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    The nice thing about Underrail is that you get a pretty satisfying character just a few levels in, with a playstyle that keep relying on items and tactics. Maybe it came out so good because of the focus on one player character.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszekgender: ⚧ Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    deterministic system > RNG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Jack Dandygender: ⚧ Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think it came out good DESPITE being focused on one character. In most other single-player RPGs (IE FALLOUT) the combat was boring as shit.
    Styg really did an impressive job, making this kind of combat fun as hell, with no other games to base it on as an example.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    In the current system, yes, likely. However the system was made with cooldowns, so you can't just say "well, if you take out cooldowns it will suck therefore cooldowns are good".
    I'm sure a similarly engaging system could have been made without cooldowns.

And I don't particularly care about forced limits which is essentially what cooldowns are.

But, overall, Styg did a decent job of using cooldowns without them being terribly awful. And hell, if I had to do a game with very limited resources I'd probably also turn towards the easiest way out.

Yes, I know, thank you. Doesn't change anything I said. Also as a psion if you have something without cooldown you'll still need to use psi boosters which also have cooldowns. So, moments of running around waiting for your stuff to fill up again are inevitable.
    Not to mention the final fight, in which if you don't have some specific character that can kill the boss in 1-2 turns results into a cheesefest of waiting for the cooldowns in the little rooms.

^ Top  
  20. Black Angelgender: ⚧ Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    How the fuck did you fuck up so bad that you get to end up in that kind of 'situation', let alone complain about it? Look, if in at least 3 turns you didn't manage to kill them without having to resort to some bullshit scenario like you mentioned, you probably made an extremely shitty build to the point where the spells you use (like Neural Overload) did fuck all damage. Just what kind of build you made that you have to resort to running around waiting for cooldowns? Or did you just made this shit up without even trying?

I made an extremely shitty jack-of-all-trades character who tried to shoot and cast spells all at the same time. He can only get to level 20, and he didn't even craft his own gear. However, I DIDN'T even once do the cheesefest waiting for cooldowns. Instead, I tried my best to utilize all the spells I had defensively, letting those tentacles come at me and instead focused on shooting the Eye. I stand my ground, combo-ed the psi spells so that one tentacle can't do anything because it's burning, block one with the force field, and then pray the last one's attack only hitting my pseudo-spatial projection. And it was even when I was a bloody newfag to the cRPG genre, and before the many patches that supposedly made DC easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Can't add anything else because it is the same I was going to write.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. hilfazergender: ⚧ Learned

hilfazer
    Parrots:
    That's a wasted opportunity to show UR in positive light.
    You could have mentioned that PSI bugs are able to invoke stronger spells while in groups. Or that they become squishier when exposing their brains during casting.
    You could have mentioned that siphoners sit under water and ambush you when you get close. Also their ability to siphon blood from player when badly hurt.
    Burrowers indeed have some armor but that's nothing to write home about. The most interesting part is their ability to spawn spawns (sic!). Another one is shooting poisonous spikes (wildlife rarely uses ranged attacks). Creatures with armor that really matters are Bladelings.
    You could have mentioned that Crawlers use stealth and can actually run away to wait for their poison to do the job.

It's not neccessary to mention all of that, it's a review not a strategy guide after all.

And some *possible* corrections:
    "which are simply dispatched" -> "which are easily dispatched"
    "blank state" -> "blank slate"

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    i woke up and doing my morning ritual in the toilet and opened the codex. i thought i somehow was warped back to febraury 2016, turns out codex is just late like usual

• Funny x 5
    • Edgy x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Good review, a little on the negative side.
    Lack of minimap adds so much to the game and the gameplay is ridiculous. The story up until you meet six is both very well written, nuanced in its approach and complex, and the twist, that you may see coming if you pay a lot of attention is p. fucking great.
    The deep caverns is fantastic, tons of big challenges that will leave all but the most powerrful and prepared crying like little girls, only real problem with it is that its basically the end of the story yet it drawns out for far too long, and i blame this squarely on that retarded character six, had he not made an appearance to tell you the plot and that the final fight is waiting, you as a player would be more inclined to explore it and find out for yourself, instead of feeling in a rush because you know the game is ending.
    Cooldowns for most skills are used as a "once per fight" kinda deal, which is imho the only way cooldowns work.
    There are a good amount of well written characters, that oddly are mostly found in side quests.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Latrogender: ⚧ Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    underrail's a good game

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)