Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Tyranny - Kyros Demands Better

set

Cipher
I have the following remarks:

1. Encounters are bland: Enemies, Abilities, and Positioning (almost) don't ever matter.

I honestly can't tell you who is more dangerous - archers, mages, or warriors. In Tyranny, they all seem to do the same amount of damage, tank the same amount of damage, and have the same amount of utility. At the end of the first act, I remember getting pummeled by Fifth Eye's melee attack, but besides that, not a SINGLE ENEMY ABILITY stood out to me as being significantly dangerous.
On the hardest difficulty.
I didn't even use consumeable items (besides the obligatory potions). As I didn't even feel the need to make my party Enrage themselves, or cover their weapons in poison. Immunity to Bleed consumeable item? I wouldn't even know when my party members were bleeding anyway, or when an enemy would be preparing to use bleed, or if bleed even did anything significant.
Mind you, I haven't beaten the game yet, still in Act 2.
Also, the cooldown crap on items is stupid. If you want to load up on poisons you have to wait in between uses, even if you're prepping before a fight. I don't have the patience for that, when the fights are so boring and simplistic anyway.

2. The sigil system accomplishes nothing a traditional skill system would not have already accomplished. I'd argue a traditional system would have been more fun, letting the designers create fun spells instead of letting me very slowly acquire a lame amount of boring "slightly modifiable spells".

Like, yes, Lightning Rune + Close Quarters Rune = Close Quarters Lightning Dage Spell. So what? I can "accent" the rune a little to have further reach, but it's not like I actually "designed" the spell's properties.

I would look to other Skill systems of a similar vein and note how they accomplish it better:
fTvcS8v.png

In Path of Exile, your equipment has sockets that are 'linked'. You put a skill in a socket. You put supports in linked sockets. The active skill has its propreties changed by the supporting passive property skill effects.

You can have Fire Ball + "Multiple Projectiles" + "Faster Projectiles" + "Reduced Area of Effect But More Area Damage" + "Projectiles Pierce" + "Projectiles Chain" to create a skill which fires many fireballs which have reduced area of effect by pierce and "chain" (like chain lightning) enemies they hit. In Path of Exile, although they're still iterating on this stuff to give you more options, there are at least some support skils you can socket that change how you play your character.
Sure, PoE's system is lacking in some respects, but it could be interated on. In its current state, it vastly outperforms Tyranny's system, which is literally "stack Lore receive skills". The whole cooldown thing certainly doesn't make the system very engaging, either. In PoE, the system allows builds to utilize the same skills in different ways. In Tyranny, whether you accent a skill or not, it essentially does the same thing.

In Path of Exile, you have a limited number of sockets, similar to your lore limit, and how they further restrict creativity is by putting attribute requirements on specific supports. How you then open up the freedom of choice is making more supports readily available - in PoE you rapidly acquire support skills to socket into your active skills. In Tyranny? I was sitting on a couple cores and a couple accents by the end of Act 1 - which are easy to miss too by the way - making the system extremely limiting in terms of creation. I get they wanted to limit OP spell growth, but if the sigils themselves couldn't be used because of an attribute score instead of a lore score, you could allow them to just be purchaseable right after you step off the boat.

3. The skill trees suck.

The review does an adequate job explaining this.

4. This game resembles Dragon Age 2 too much for me:

-Character animations flashy, gameplay not impactful
-Enemies are extremely rinse-and-repeat - melee, archer, mage; enemies don't have impactful skills
-Story is sort of interesting, with you competing between two warring factions (Obviously Tyranny does a much better job, but same concept in essence)
-Talent trees are stupid, linear, limiting, and don't offer all that much diversity or development as you play the game
-No challenge

The most positive roleplaying aspects I've had so far are roleplaying as "Lawful Evil Lawyer/Diplomat". Kind of an interesting take. I wish more games let you play the "dark side of the law" / court politics.
Considering the spires thing, and the same look/feel, I'm really surprised this wasn't just a direct sequel to PoE. Its story could have fit right in, really. Did they really need to distance themselves from it? Did PoE perform that bad?
I'd like to rate it higher than a 6/10, considering there is some genuinely good design mixed in here, but I just am not finding the game very interesting. While there are thankfully not that many combat encounters in Act 1, the main draw of the game is still combat and it's not very engaging.

Oh and one more criticism:

5. Your characters scale by "doing things"

This is literally the dumbest thing ever. This means your main character should have at least subterfuge/athletics(horrible stat name btw)/lore as high as possible on char gen, because your other skills will just auto-scale for you. Furthermore, because of how dumb this system is, the party member that does the most damage, or does the most damage in the most XP effecient way, will get the most levels, which will create a positive feedback loop - causing characters to wildly form XP gaps between each other. This is completely retarded. Everybody with ANY rpg game design sense KNOWS you don't make your XP system based on "using skill raises skill's level" because even if it doesn't get abused by your players (it will be), it makes it nearly impossible to balance advancement. And it just doesn't make any sense anyway, cooking shit more doesn't make you a good cook past a certain minimum level of skill. I will not become a cordon bleu chef just by making toasted cheese every day.

Also, I initially rolled a quickness character. Upon realizing everything was cooldown based...but that I received more skills than I could possibly use in a reasonable amount of time anyway (and that many OP skills were only 1 use per rest anyway), I dumped the stat. What an awful stat. Cooldown reduction that at most is like -30%? It doesn't feel impactful in combat besides all the helpful passive skills it boosts.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what i dislike most is the retardo bethsda skill levelling system.

like there are no strategy to it. in the end of the game, i can past all lore/subterfuge/athletics skill checks and it all does the same thing too.

set

Cipher
what i dislike most is the retardo bethsda skill levelling system.

like there are no strategy to it. in the end of the game, i can past all lore/subterfuge/athletics skill checks and it all does the same thing too.

This too, I forgot about this -- my main character started out as a "fisticuffs monk" and now he's got a bazillion lore and tons of spells, plus he can still punch people in the face. Athletics, Lore and Subterfuge are way too easy to max out...and also way too fucking integral to doing shit. Your actual attributes and passive skills don't fact into anything besides combat.

It's retarded Skyrim all over again, where you're a Warrior-Thief-Wizard whether you have any say in the manner or not. I put some spells on Verse and she does fine with them despite her obvious melee bent. This would be a positive thing to say about the game, if like, there were consequences (or interesting effects to) to doing this. Which there aren't. Again, a diablo clone...Path of Exile...does this system better.

I'm not saying copy Path of Exile, I just want other RPGs to borrow some of those same concepts - you can have a classless system WORK.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Review actually puts into words the issues with Tyranny's combat so well. My general reaction with Tyranny absolutely was "this just doesn't feel good," but until he made the point about defensive focus vs offensive focus I never really though about how they just made the health pools massive, to allow them to do all sorts of shit that's not meaningful on offence.

Prime Junta

Bunch of low tech barbarians that integrate forcefully the conquered. They are the same basic concept.

They're not any lower-tech than any of the other factions, and they're not barbarians.

Caesar's Legion's selling point is that it brings order and security to the chaotic wasteland through rigid military discipline and cultivation of hypermasculine Roman-style virtues. The Scarlet Chorus's selling point is that it offers unlimited opportunity for rape, pillage, and advancement to anyone regardless of birth, race, or sex. The only requirement is merit -- being tough and mean enough to take and keep what they want. Those are more like diametrical opposites really.

Prime Junta

Question regarding the review itself:

First this:

The otherwise excellent writing falls a little flat when it comes to companions.

Then the explanation:

You command a party of four, and have a roster of six to draw from. All but one represent a faction, and will serve as sounding boards for your thoughts as well as giving advice on how to approach them. While they have fully-developed personalities and back stories which unfold through long downtime conversations with them, they’re not as immediately relatable or even likable as you might hope. Partly this is due to power relations. Your position as judge, jury, and executioner of Kyros’ law, and in some cases conqueror and slavemaster, will necessarily put a certain distance between you and them. Whatever the reasons, they are a bit of a grim bunch, and don’t do much to lighten the mood of dark and bloody Terratus.

That honestly doesn't sound bad at all. Companions i don't like or can't relate to don't necessarily suffer from bad or flat writing. Can't see the little flat aspects in your paragraph. Am i missing something?

In my view, the main criterion for good companion writing is, do I end up caring about these people? Would I be bummed if I pissed one of them off so badly he decided to walk off? In Tyranny's case, the answer was "eh, no, not really." They reveal interesting things about the setting but they're not all that interesting or relatable in and of themselves.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's some really minor stuff like some of them calling tiermen mouthbreathers, but I was left with a feeling that the writers had no idea how to write characters that genuinely hate strangers.
11488abb084fc076fc83a4019535def07d235cffcea0eff772b10f9874418bf0.jpg

I might be reading too much into some coincidental vague statements, but I believe this review annoyed an Obsidian employee and her friends. :)
Please don' tease and give us some meat.

TheSlapper55X

Barely Literate
Game feels like I payed for a whole pig only to find out it had some limbs hacked off when it arrived.

hell bovine

Arcane
One thing that bothered me was that the whole Disfavored being cunts to non-northerners felt really tacked on. There's some really minor stuff like some of them calling tiermen mouthbreathers, but I was left with a feeling that the writers had no idea how to write characters that genuinely hate strangers.
Well, if you give Lethians Crossing to disfavored during conquest, the'll be only humans at the brothel. If scarlet chorus gets it, the'll have a beastman working there too. Fantastical racism in action ;)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pillars of Eternity has an excellent character mechanics system.
This statement pretty much invalidates most of the review's points about the character system. PoEhas one of the most boring and pseudo-deep character system in a RPG I had seen in a long time.
It simply makes every choice you make in it worth nothing as everything boils down to miniscule buffs/debuffs.

If the reviewer honestly liked this pile of shit system, then the one in Tyranny might actually be great - or even worse.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It simply makes every choice you make in it worth nothing as everything boils down to miniscule buffs/debuffs.
memeing like it's 2015.
So?
Nothing has changed in the meantime.
I recently (some months ago?) replayed the game, just to see if something has changed and how the add-on is. And, well, it was just all the same. A large array of choices with no impact whatsoever.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Citation needed? Do you want me to give you a screenshot of just how many character "choices" do nothing more but add a few percent here and there? Seriously? :lol:

The combat in PoE actually was improved over the first time I played. Just a bit, but it was noticeable.
The character system, not at all.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's funny because it has more impact than stat increases in IE games yet nobody seem to complain about those. :M

That's partly because D&D hides probabilities a lot better with obtuse nonsense and opaque fundamental mechanics. D&D in most (if not all) of its iterations is quite like a software GUI: What the DM and players see and utilize is different than, and several steps removed from, what's actually going on under the hood.

Mind you, that's one of the things I hate most about D&D.

Modern Obsidian games are making me nostalgic for Rifts. Rifts is a retarded mess of mostly stolen and recycled ideas patched together by a narcissistic asshole, but at least it's not Sawtistic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom