Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Tyranny - Kyros Demands Better

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    If the game does get a console release, expect to see the AI improved by then. :M

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. GloomFrostgender: ⚧ Savant

GloomFrost
    Parrots:
    That is just retarded and doesnt make any sense. I mean its good when companions speak their mind and have impact on the dialogues but what obsidian did is just awfull.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Yeah. The no friendly fire thing is another big minus. If they wanted to make it less micro-intensive, then keep FF, make the AoE attacks punch really hard, and give them very long timers. You could use them once, maybe twice in an encounter and would have to consider when is the most effective time to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    No Friendly fire makes the game slightly harder since the enemy AI will just go all out with those. Enemies seem to ignore lore requirements (asymetrical systems yay) and use spells like that annoying frost knockdown field right under their buddies.

Granted game's easy enough it doesn't matter but I'm not sure that was their intention.

^ Top  
  5. Fenixgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Underrail.

• incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Leechmongergender: ⚧ Savant

Leechmonger
    Parrots:
    It sounds like an uninspired, insipid game aimed at similarly under-achieving people.

• Agree x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Racist x 1
    • Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. hell bovinegender: ⚧ Magister

hell bovine
    Parrots:
    If you didn't like the writing in act 1, you won't like the writing in act 2. The conflict between those two factions makes sense (idk where you got that they are immortal; they aren't), though, as it is implied that Kyros wanted for this to happen and that this is a war long in the making. The archons have outlived their usefulness, so one (or more) have to go.

The real problem with the plot is that it never goes anywhere. There are some interesting tidbits about the connection between edicts, spires and magic in general, and then the game just ends.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Dayyālugender: ⚧ Arcane

Dayyālu
    Parrots:
    Bunch of low tech barbarians that integrate forcefully the conquered. They are the same basic concept. If you think that the throwaway mission where you get to force a village to join the Chorus or the scared kid in their camp give them nuance instead of repeating again "Bunch of low tech barbarians that integrate forcefully the conquered."? I don't know. You are engrossed by such useless trivia? They make good writing? They are merely trivia, and trivia about a derivative fantasy world.

I'm starting to wonder if we're not talking about drastically different concepts regarding writing. Many DMs build detailed worlds, but that does not make them interesting. Tyranny's world is not interesting. It could have been, of course, but it's not. Terrible fantasy novels waste hundreds of pages on detailing dresses, and Tyranny wastes dozens of lines repeating the same concepts like Morrowind NPCs.

That's why a single short story by Clark Ashton Smith is better than the endless chatter of Robert Jordan.

"Subtle"?

The writing is so repetitive and naive it makes kinda difficult to be interested in red guys and blue guys. Pardon, red guys, blue guys and purple guys. Again meaningless trivia is good writing? I'm not an english native and my own english isn't top-tier, but Tyranny's writing is kinda plain. You don't get bored reading it? You find it good on a stylistic level? I mean, it's very.... dull. Is dull the correct word? When something is so bland that you can't care less? I'm not requesting Homer, I'd like something on the level of KOTOR2 or NV.

It's not like Dark Souls (a ARPG! Heresy!) where you find a piece of the plot by carefully exploring the world and the items. Tyranny is "Hit highlight button, check all highlighted areas, get to NPCs, end NPC dialogue, ohgodhalfofthedialogueisstuffIvealreadyseentwentytimes".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Uraboggender: ⚧ Arcane

Urabog
    Parrots:
    this review is so amazing it managed to push out the codex's best reporter in favor of a watcher

well done

• Despair x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • decline x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    That's where the similarities end.

They are also extremely regimented, xenophobic and devoted to their leader like the disfavored. So both factions are like the Legion in a way.

Legion is just a lot more nuanced faction, don't compare them.

^ Top  
  11. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    You can only hate what you once loved. I played 60+ hours of PoE on multiple difficulties and wrote several walls of text about it because it had a lot of potential, but fucked really badly on some stuff. The result was something I wanted to like, but kept being disappointed.

Tyranny is just bad. From the way it (doesn't) introduces its world and expect you to care by just throwing encyclopedias in your direction, to the dumb cooldown-based combat made of filler encounters and the "babysit these two drama queens" plot, I couldn't last more than 3 hours. First RPG I bought and refunded.

That's not a return to form for Obsidian.

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Interesting x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but for the record I was obviously being tongue-in-cheek with the "return to form" thing

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. I'm With Her oneselfgender: ⚧ for prison Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    Paradox games tend to get better with more :bounce:DLCs:bounce:

On a pure difficulty level (Flesch-Kincaid or whatever) the writing of Tyranny sits above that of NV and KOTOR2, so I don't truly understand your gripe about the writing being "plain", unless to you the complexity in writing goes beyond mere word choice and sentence structure. Perhaps a more apt description of your feelings would be "distant", in which case I would agree.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Well, I'm just stating my personal opinion, not claiming it's a Kodex Konsensus, so you agreeing or disagreeing doesn't change it.

Also, "tongue-in-cheek" comments like that are really just a way of throwing out statements you don't wanna back up. For people who love the Obsidian of Alpha Brotocol and F:NV, you give them the impression this is just like those games. If someone says that Tyranny is much inferior, then you can claim you're just being tongue-in-cheek. 9/10, Edward Bernays would be proud.

• Brofist x 10
    • Agree x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Bestergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    I don't mean to sound weird, but this shit looks exactly like the globalist brainwashing that went on for a year. Same tune, same lies, everything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Pillars have come far with updates so Tyranny could also flesh out gameplay for the good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Prehistorikgender: ⚧ Educated

Prehistorik
    Parrots:
    I've read the verdict and it feels like it is written by a bot.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    (Assuming pdox wants to pay for post-release support for over an year)

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DeepOceangender: ⚧ Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Won't happen for low effort B game from PDox.

^ Top  
  20. Ippolitgender: ⚧ Educated

Ippolit
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Question regarding the review itself:

First this:

Then the explanation:

That honestly doesn't sound bad at all. Companions i don't like or can't relate to don't necessarily suffer from bad or flat writing. Can't see the little flat aspects in your paragraph. Am i missing something?

^ Top  
  21. duanth123gender: ⚧ Arcane

duanth123
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    TFW when you know the rough consensus of everything except your own reputation.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Wait, Bubbles is no longer part of the staff?

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Shilandragender: ⚧ Literate

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    Im actually not quite sure where this sentiment is coming from in the first place.
    I didn't really notice any distance between my pc and my companions due soley to my position as fatebinder, at least not when building loyalty or just talking to them. They actually felt a little to chummy, to the point where when you get almost to the end and they basically run out of things to talk about their lack of blinking dialogue box is immediately noticeable.

There's more formality and distance if you're building fear, at least where intros and some dialogues are concerned. Otherwise you're pretty much best pals with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    I might be reading too much into some coincidental vague statements, but I believe this review annoyed an Obsidian employee and her friends. :)

Kevin Jordan, WoW guy http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tyranny-release-thread.111973/page-45#post-4841187

Alpha Protocol was loathed by anyone who wasn't an Obsididrone when it was released. Give it time. It's definitely a return to

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    I'm gonna out-Roguey Roguey here with an even better Sawyer quote:

That's 100% what I felt playing Tyranny. "We're making this game with this setting and all this C&C and stuffies, now someone just glue a IE-like gameplay or something to it."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)