Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Tyranny - Kyros Demands Better

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Nov 30, 2016.

1. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!

Dear god, I steeled myself and it was somehow worse.

I feel like that nurse with repeat Ebola.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Well that doesn't exactly help but I don't think it's the crux of the problem. The real trouble is that the abilities are weaksauce and interchangeable, especially the attack abilities. Anything you or the opposition does boils down to a minor, short-duration debuff or chipping off a few HP. Pick the enemy with the lowest defences and hit him in the opening with your strongest attacks, and a lot of the time he'll be still standing. If you run one of your characters forward and get the entire group of enemies attacking him at once -- which should be a Really Bad Move -- his health will most likely still be in the green zone.

Consider DA:O (not my favourite game by a long shot, but a good reference for the style of mechanics Tyranny attempts). If you get hit by an enemy special attack, from shield bashes to fireballs to that nasty pull thing revenants do, you will notice. Similarly, you can get some pretty lulzy abilities right from the start, that one spell that makes the target immobile and invulnerable, for example, which you can use on your squadmates or the enemy, depending on what you want to do. Yet despite these genuinely impactful abilities, the combat is challenging.

So no, I don't think it's crafting or any other subsystem; it's that the whole thing is incoherent and lacking in impact. It's cRPG combat for people who don't like cRPG combat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Would have been much better to have fewer but more impactful abilities, I think everyone can agree on that.

They're MMO devs and designed the game to be played with AI and you controlling one dude, so they wanted to give you a lot of buttans to spam and keep occupied.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. GloomFrost Savant

GloomFrost
    Parrots:
    I dont think you could use your companion's stats for the dialogue checks.

^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Either that or they just didn't know WTF they were doing. I'm inclined to think the latter.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    Parrots:
    No, but you can use it for certain map checks.

^ Top  
  7. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    I dunno, if they didn't know WTF they were doing they could just have straight up ctrl+c ctrl+v'd PoE (and it would be imminently better). Considering their system designer has most of his experience with MMO, I go with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    You can use your companion stats for dialogue checks. In the sense that it always uses the highest score in the party.

^ Top  
  9. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Then yeah you're probably right.

^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Which system designer - Nick Carver? I don't see him on Mobygames, he's a newbie who did QA on Pillars before this.

Maybe Excidium means the project director, Brian Heins.

^ Top  
  11. anduin Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Yes. It should go here.

I'm particulary interested in cooldown system. How to make it, in your words, strategic resource management if possible. If not, does that mean, PoE system is preferable?
    Or some modified PoE system?

^ Top  
  12. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    No, the older guy that was on one of the twitch streams. Iirc he's also ex-wildstar.

Nick Carver is p. much Obsidian promoted intern, his entire linkedin is climbing Obsidian chain.

^ Top  
  13. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Actually nvm, I searched for the stream and the guy's just a community manager. Is nick carver the actual lead? lmao

^ Top  
  14. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I'm not a fan of cooldown systems precisely because they trivialise strategic resource management. So my first choice would be just to dump it and go with a lightly modified Pillars system. Just rename the spells, give them new icons, invent a few extra-special per-encounter and per-rest abilities for your special snowflake, and Kyros is your aunt/uncle.

If you want to have both strategic resources and cooldowns, you need to make consumables a central gameplay element (like Numenera attempts). Otherwise you're just stuck with some variant of Wounds/Injuries/whatever which isn't really strategic resource management as much as a penalty for screwing up a fight.

If you have to have cooldowns, then have fewer abilities with, perhaps, longer cooldowns, but make them genuinely impactful, and make it so that you wouldn't use them just because the timer wound down. Again, if there is such a thing as cooldowns done right, then DA:O is the closest example I know of. It's hard enough that managing your consumables becomes significant, which gives it a degree of strategic resource management.

Edit: additionally, don't be afraid to spike difficulty. One of Tyranny's big problems is the uniform and inverted difficulty curve. The fights are really repetitive. Just doing the same thing every time will win. Even the boss fights are all more or less the same. Again, contrast this with DA:O -- there are optional encounters all over the place which will kick you in the nuts hard if you go after them. This shakes things up and gives a real sense of accomplishment when you beat them. That one revenant in the Brecilian woods if you go after him early for example? That there is a good fight.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe what the game really needed was a few months of Early Access with a bunch of Sensukis playing it, rather than just Swedish Paradox playtesters. +M

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Yes but imagine the vengeful wrath of a bunch of Sensukis when their feedback is ignored.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    I also find it funny that they made a classless system that still pigeonholes characters into typical class roles, and generally rewards focused builds.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  18. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Never seen a case o developers taking feedback from Early Acess seriously. They would probably do "We are serious game developers, we are professionals, who are those peasants to say we are wrong?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Not to mention, gives each character their very own skill trees. What kind of classless system is that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    The Pillars devs did. They adopted many of Sensuki's recommendations, just not all of them. (One or two of mine too, and of many others there.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
  22. Togukawa Novice

Togukawa
    Parrots:
    It's indeed focused on choice and consequence, singular, namely which faction you align with at the end of chapter 1.
    Secret rebel sympathizer? You're forced to openly say that you are organizing a rebellion.
    Undermine alliance? You're forced to kill everyone you meet if youre allied with one of the Kyros factions, regardless of any previous choices made.
    From a roleplaying perspective, this has been the most frustrating game I have played to date.

Still a better ending than ME3 though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Oh yeah. Extra funny in that each companion's skill progression is very class-flavoured.

Plus splitting might into two different stats as if it disencourage hybrids further.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bohrain Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    I wonder what they were aiming at with the combat. To me the greatest weakness of Pillars's combat was the encounter design that was for the most part nonexistant.
    Encounter design was even moren neglected in Tyranny, instead we got... what exactly? Were their ideas of major improvements the spell customization and combo moves?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Who knows. It was supposed to be less micro intensive due to no friendly-fire + less characters but then they give everyone around 12 buttons to use and an AI that you absolutely cannot rely on.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)