Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Tyranny - Kyros Demands Better

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Apparently this was a side project by junior designers. Good gameplay is hard. It's not surprising they fucked it up.

IMO Obsidian's mistake was letting them make their own mechanics to start with. They could easily have told them "Sure, you can do this, but stick to the Pillars classes with cosmetic re-skinning for flavour only." Not only would that have saved a significant amount of development and testing effort, they would've gotten a mature, thoroughly play-tested system for free. I'm fairly certain they would've grumbled but gotten on with it, and the game would've been much better as a result.

Besides, it would've been easier to sell. I'm sure a lot of Pillars fans would've been delighted to get this is as a light snack while waiting for Pillars 2.

^ Top  
  2. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    You said the review "closely reflects" the public opinion here, which is bullshit.

• Agree x 3
    • meh x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. hell bovinegender: ⚧ Magister

hell bovine
    Parrots:
    Not really, I used the trainers whenever passing by, but he also gets 30 lore from his talents. I've played on PotD, however, and I wonder whether your party doesn't end up slightly higher level, because the hp bloat ensures the early combat drags on. Later the chaotic descent spells just melt everything (chained spells do too, but I found that sigil only at the very end). Unfortunately enemies don't get those sigils and that's the problem - they are stuck with basic spells.

^ Top  
  4. I'm With Her oneselfgender: ⚧ for prison Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    What happened to the drama-inducing AoD bit?

EDIT ME BLIND

Companion only sigil can be taught to you if you meet certain criteria, in the case of Lantry that requirement is simply you asking it.

He didn't say popular public opinion. Just that there exists an opinion in the public space that shares the tone of the review +M

^ Top  
  5. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    What needs to be added in the gameplay to be fun and interesting? I believe Tyranny won't be the only title in this project.

^ Top  
  6. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Wrong thread?

I addressed some of that in the review. Can expand on it if you like.

^ Top  
  7. GloomFrostgender: ⚧ Savant

GloomFrost
    Parrots:
    I m 99% sure that one of the reasons for changing combat system is that Tranny going to come out on consoles. (4 party members instead of 6, lots and lots of abilities you have to activate). Also young RPG gamers now days prefer classless system. Playing a strong big knight who can shoot fireballs is really cool and radical.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. KyivAfter12amgender: ⚧ Learned

KyivAfter12am
    Parrots:
    Quick, name 3 things unique and interesting about Tyranny's "worldbuilding".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I hope you're wrong. I fear you may not be.

I think it would be rather stupid though. Tyranny's an obvious low-budget niche title; going console with that would be a big effort with likely not all that big return. Whatever the reasons, the gameplay changes from Pillars to Tyranny certainly feel like the changes from the IE games to DA:O, skipping entirely over the NWNs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    (1) Power dynamics between Kyros, the Archons, and ordinary mooks.
    (2) Edicts, their use in warfare, and how that affected the way wars are waged and empires built.
    (3) Politics and organisation of ruling an empire when you have immortals with massive magical power at the top, but Bronze Age technology for transport, communication, and most other stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. an Administratorgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
    Best part
    [​IMG]

:hmmm:

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • meh x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    I haven't read the review but judging by the comments the general consensus is that it's shit.

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    I'm starting to see why you were sent to jail.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grinolfgender: ⚧ Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    Neither of games are set in "the grim pre-Medieval world," neither they are even set during the same time period, as both games are set apart by around thousand years in the real world. I have no idea how some non-issue created a very big drama during editorial process, but everyone overlooked this very triggering part.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    lol, that's exactly the non-issue you're referring to.

• decline decline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Sometimes I wish I did this kind of thing on purpose. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    It is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    Game is just bad, most of choises are Bioware-types.

For example you CANT stay loyal to Kyros. No matter what you do.
    Most of things that change is that you either fight red guys with blue guys or fight blue guys with red guys.

Also, dialogue choices (Athletics, Subterfuge, Lore) are available in 1 playthough, you can easily get access to every choice in dialogue with 1 character. Compare this to AoD where you stats and skill did matter in dialogues and different characters had different choices.

There are 4 paths: lawful evil, chaotic evil, anarchist and rebel. Difference is mininal. Most important is that you get 1 area locked in your playthough (or do not get locked at all in anarchist).

Why none of this is mentioned in "review"?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. KyivAfter12amgender: ⚧ Learned

KyivAfter12am
    Parrots:
    Thanks for taking the time! Edicts are a nice touch, as for the rest unfortunately it seems we have different ideas about interesting power dynamics or about what bronze age technology is ;)

• Love! Love! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Trashosgender: ⚧ Savant

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the review, PJ!

I generally value combat very highly. In spite of this, 2 of my favorite RPGs happen to be PST and Arcanum, both of which dropped the ball with regards to combat. But they were so brilliant in other aspects, that they forced me to forgive their serious shortcomings.

Do you think that something similar can be said about Tyranny? Is it THAT good in what it does well? Did it give YOU the "here we have something really special" vibe? Your review overall made me think that it is not THAT level of special, but it is not very clear to me.

^ Top  
  21. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    Is it true there are are only a small handful of the same enemy NPCs that you fight over and over? Haven't read the review yet, but I remember this was a common criticism in the release thread.

^ Top  
  22. Grinolfgender: ⚧ Augur

Grinolf
    Parrots:
    1000 years of difference and complete disregard of what "medieval" means are pretty big issues. I don't see any reason why this phrase couldn't be changed on something like "both games aren't set in overrepresented in fantasy high and late medieval setting and instead preferred completely unexplored earlier time periods." That's probably what reviewer meant in the first place. Or it could be left as it is out of some stupid stubbornness, which could be also seen as a complete ignorance and make it look like everyone involved in writting this slept on history lessons.

• meh meh x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:

As "review" failed to mention: there are only human enemies (95% of time), golem/elemental enemies (4% of time) and wolf-men (1% of time).

So 95% of time you will battle same "2-3 fighter/1-2 archer/ 1-2 mage" groups, who are copy-pasted.

If you think that PoE overused some enemies like animals... here you will wish they added wolves or bears.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    Beastsmen and Banes are like 5% fights max. 95% of fights are same human group with same "party composition", i cant think any game with worst diversity.

Also reply to "Lore/Athletics/Subterfuge" system that available to 1 character at start - you will pass ALL checks easily. All checks in dialogue and in events on map.

Also reply that in this game you cant join Kyros (choices?), and different between 4 paths (disf, chorus, anarch, rebels) is minimal. Same as in Bioware games.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)