Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by felipepepe, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Click here and disable ads!
    So NUMANUMA is shit. Man, I could NOT see that coming. Inxile gave us so many good games like

yeah! :lol:

Good thing I didn't waste my money on this turd. :obviously:

• Funny x 16
    • Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    At least the 'dex KS campaign gave me a badge that says it all how I feel about this masterpiece: [​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Who edited this piece of shit review, anyway? Just right off the bat I detected two obvious errors. "– dubbed Crises –" is used twice within three paragraphs (a glaring fuck up), and more basic grammatical issues such as the misuse of a hyphen in 'put-together' stand out. I'm sure I'll find more if I can make it through without dying of boredom first. Edit 1: you also use a colon far too much (no pun intended: not really).

Also thanks a lot for spoiling the nature of the end of the game for us you moron.

Edit 2: "last-minute" wrong.

Edit 3 (see, I'm a good editor): "In some cases it feels like these were last-minute cuts: for example..." colon inappropriate, grade school-level mistake. Bro are you even college educated?

Edit 4: "Sound design is similarly insipid: you would imagine..." You did it again. I'm not going to even continue.

This review is unfit for Codex' front page. Take it down and clean it up before too many people notice it and we get a bad repu... oh, forget it. We already let him in. Infinitron, you IDIOT.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • butthurt x 11
    • Brofist x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. an Administrator Arcane

an Administrator
    Parrots:
    Didn't InExile add Bloom as a replacement of the Oasis?

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    That's what they said, yeah.

They did also run a post-Kickstarter funding drive to expand the Bloom though. :M

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Crispy do you have access to the content forum? 'Cuz those are good catches and I would have appreciated somebody pointing them out pre-publication.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Win! Win! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Tacgnol Arcane Patron

Tacgnol
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [​IMG]

Really needs to be a smilie.

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    Parrots:
    This isn't a review of the game, it's a review of the kickstarter campaign :\

• butthurt x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Tacgnol Arcane Patron

Tacgnol
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What does criticising the games terrible systems and design have to do with Kickstarter?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    From my Tyranny review:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    It's not my job to correct your glaring mistakes. You, as a "writer", shouldn't make so many of such a basic nature.

Maybe you can convince someone over at RPG Watch to help you out.

• butthurt x 14
    • Racist x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    The editorial staff is like 100% ESL man.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Me too for that matter.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    That's no fucking excuse.

But, I'm done here. Don't want to spam up the News forum too much. There's already enough spam in it as it is. Your "review", for example.

Edit: In response to Nick's post below, because I am a man of my word, the creative and judicious use of the colon in descriptive text can provide flavor, it's true. But dumbass here does it so often and so inappropriately as to be embarrassing. He's apparently never heard of a semi-colon, for example.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • butthurt x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Parrots:
    Yeah I agree with this review. Can't find the motivation to slug through this thing. I do think the review missed a particular point - but it would have been too generous to talk about it, I suppose - namely, the relative originally of the setting. There were a couple of interesting encounters there and there, weird stuff, things that weren't attempted since the original Torment. Things like the guards being created from a year of the citizen's life and being reduced to ash when the year goes by. Of course, as the review points out, you don't really have a lot of motivation to visit all this "weird stuff". It all feels very superfluous, and the design of the areas does not help at all : every encounter is just there on the small maps for you to read through 'em. It feels like going to a museum, which has its appeal to me, but I understand that it wouldn't generate a lot of enthusiasm. Still, you have to give some points there, at least if you're the type to give points for originality's sake. The value of this originality is questionable, though - in front of many of what the industry does, it seems original, but as it is trying to make Torment itself a "template", it fails miserably. There's something in that that fated them for failure : they tried to replicate an original, spontaneous experiment. Furthermore, they really shot themselves in the foot by thinking that the spirit of this experiment was "a lot of words". Avellone said himself many times that the usage of so many words was only a crutch in the original development. I do think that being limited in means forces creativity, certainly on the literary front, but still, this isn't the ideal of video games - this was discussed in that faggot's article on rpg writing. The original Torment was really a product of the times, or rather, a mistake of the times : an exception. It just happened agaisnt all odds. Not sure what this is going agaisnt, not even sure what it tries to do. Anyway, good job little man

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For whatever reason, American Codexers tend to be low key, on-staff or off. You could easily get the impression that the community consists entirely of Europeans and Brazilians.

Crispy here seems to barely pay attention to what's going on in the staff forums, which is bizarre coming from somebody who loves to involve himself in drama.

• Funny x 10
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    FTFY

• Funny x 12
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Those colons are quite fine. People who think there's some universal rules of punctuation don't know anything about punctuation.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. an Administrator Arcane

an Administrator
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Racist x 4
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Mediocre review, focused on the mismanagement of the campaign and development of the game, instead of focusing on what is terribly wrong with the actual game.

Just reads like a codex hit piece...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Well I dunno, don't think so to be honest, but I can see why the game would polarize opinion. It's quite a specific thing that you either get into or you don't and doesn't have other factors to fall back on(Fallout might have had average at best combat, but had reactivity, alternate solutions etc. to fall back on for example.) I make no secret that overall I liked TToN but that doesn't make me blind to its limitations and Cunta's 'review' in particular tends to focus on obscure and useless points far too much...can't see the forest for the trees sort of thing. For me TToN as it stands has mostly ONE thing, so if you're not into that specific thing, you won't find anything else good about it.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    FWIW, I agree that this isn't our usual sort of review. If you can find somebody to write a more traditional one (and maybe neutral-negative rather than fully negative), we'd be happy to publish it.

I once thought that Vault Dweller would be a good idea, but I don't know if he has that kind of time these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again janjetina Arcane

janjetina
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    There is only one solution. For the sake of balance, let Darth Roxor write an alternative review. After all, who would argue that Roxor and Junta have similar perspective on RPGs?

• Brofist x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    We did discuss the possibility, but regrettably we hit an insuperable obstacle: he hates the game so much he refuses to play it. :(

• Funny x 18
    • Despair x 5
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Iznaliu Educated

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    Prescriptivism is evil

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)