Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by felipepepe, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jewboygender: ⚧ Savant

jewboy
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    PS:T combat was basically IE combat. I don't recall it being that different from say IWD1 and so far superior to PoE or say MotB. The guys on this team never were much into combat I guess which is why they should have just gone for a vanilla already proven system like D20 or maybe something else proven like Pathfinder or something. Sometimes I feel like everyone should just flat out copy the combat in ToEE. I mean copy EXACTLY. Now that was fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    PST combat issue is that their idea of encounter design was just spawning clusters of same enemies

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LilSassygender: ⚧ Novice

LilSassy
    Parrots:
    The writing in this topic is already better than the 1.2 million words in TORMENT TIDES OF NUMENARA, IMO.

• Prestigious x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Edgy x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Somehow that doesn't bother you in No Truce with the Furies though, which you're praising so much. I've seen the alpha footage and it looks much worse in this regard than TToN, although maybe it's only unfortunate choice on developer's part.

And you felt challenged playing PoE or Shadowrun games? If so then you are intellectually challenged.

• butthurt x 9
    • Brofist x 5
    • retadred x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. jewboygender: ⚧ Savant

jewboy
    Parrots:
    Somewhere there is probably a publisher leaning back in his chair reading this and thinking,"I told you so" and "amateurs". I guess there is a reason why publishers avoid trying new things. Most of the time new things fail impressively and not just in the commercial sense, in every sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bestergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    I like reading codex reviews, but I don't read prime cunta. Is this how it's going to be from now on? Every review by that attention whore mongoloid? Why is it that the dumbest people must be the loudest.

• butthurt x 21
    • Brofist x 12
    • Agree x 3
    • Despair x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. jewboygender: ⚧ Savant

jewboy
    Parrots:
    Well VD he aint but either the game sucks or it doesn't. It sounds like the codex consensus is that it does indeed suck. Does it really matter if the review itself is some kind of great masterpiece? Maybe VD will come save the day with one of his 'good for what it is' reviews.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Hiver vs VD was the most entertaining thing about WL2...

what could have been, with this baby :negative:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    inXile only had about 12 encounters to tune, how do you end up botching that as hard as they did unless you just flat out don't care?

That's a fine outline for an article. Their assessment was correct.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Indeed, something must have went wrong during production and I wonder what it was or who is responsible. The production went way overtime but the game is fairly short from what I hear. Crises were pitched as this special thing but they ended up as simple combat encounters and there are not even that many. Companions were cut from the game even though they were stretch goals but again there doesn't seem to be all that much content aside from walls of text anyway. The game systems are exceedingly simplistic and there does not seem to be a lot of gameplay outside of reading. So I wonder..

.. what exactly did they work on all this time? Just writing unedited walls of text?

Maybe I have a naive understanding of game development but it just seems odd to me. One of the leads leaving in the middle of development, another lead as soon as the game was released? .. Chances are we are likely to hear about development trouble and mismanagement sometime in the future.

Edit: Not to mention, all those complaints about bugs and shitty optimization, even though the game was delayed that much.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bohraingender: ⚧ Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    Genuine question, what on Earth was going on with the development if they spent 5 years and 5 million dollars to make a game that feels like it had >1million budget and maybe two years of development time?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. I'm With Her SausageInYourFacegender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They need someone who knows how to properly manage such a project. You guys know who I am talking about, don't you?

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

A man worth more than five million KS bucks.

• Balanced x 20
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Best Deal! x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Plus "multiple millions." https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1647389/comments

Putting in the console port money Techland delivered, this could be pushing 10 million.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Tacgnolgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Tacgnol
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think it's just simple project mismanagement.

Never underestimate the ability of bad project management to fuck things up.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. jewboygender: ⚧ Savant

jewboy
    Parrots:
    Hookers and pizza? That's what I wish I had spent my $20 on at least. We probably should have just given MCA 5 million and 4 years to make some kind of story-heavy RPG. Maybe he could have done it since apparently he did most of the management for the first one. The whole Tides setting was a huge mistake though. Why couldn't they get the original Planescape setting again? I forget. I wonder how much MCA is to blame for this mess. He was supposed to try to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I mean wasn't that like his job?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    I wonder what they spent on stuff like travel over the years, with team members scattered all over the world. Like when they had that big gathering of writers early in preproduction and cmcc was talking about meeting a few of them back at the hotel to prep for the 3 day brainstorming session, I couldn't help wondering how many other KS games operate in that way. Anyone who's been involved in things like that in the corporate world knows how the bills add up quickly, seems more like Interplay/big company behaviour than a KS game with ambitious goals where you need to squeeze as much value as possible out of limited funds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bohraingender: ⚧ Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    I just have very hard time seeing where the money went.
    Did they set up three different studios to do the same thing three times? Did Fargo murder their editor and spend two million to hide the corpse?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I didn't get to play enough of No Truce to form an informed opinion of the quest design. That's why I didn't say anything about it in my preview.

Pillars on Path of the Damned is legit hard. I haven't made any comparisons to SRR in that respect. (I did point out that SRR looks, sounds, reads, plays, and feels better than T:ToN though, and I stand by that.)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nazrim Eldrakgender: ⚧ Educated

Nazrim Eldrak
    Parrots:
    I agree 100% with this and also want an explanation.

• Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    It is, and it's also really good. I'm amazed at your stamina; I would never have been able to find the stomach to record all those videos. For those of you who are clamouring for a longer skewering of the game, check it out if you haven't already.

• Brofist x 21
    • Informative x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • incline x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Junmarkogender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Behold, the most honest line anyone has written about it. Well said :salute:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. commiegender: ⚧ The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Codex consensus also suggests Harebrained Shadowrun tablet RPG's are good. Doesn't necessarily make it fucking so.

• Disagree x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Shit x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Apexeongender: ⚧ Prophet

Apexeon
    Parrots:
    What else is left on the corpse of Interplay to recycle for a quick cash grab?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Apexeongender: ⚧ Prophet

Apexeon
    Parrots:
    Money went to Vegas for team bondage sessions were they had to massage a alien sphincter.
    Or was that bonding?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Karellengender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

Karellen
    Parrots:
    To be somewhat fair, I can imagine that the kind of writing Tides of Numenera has must have been exhausting, difficult and time-consuming to implement. For instance, in the execution quest, the overseer will remember if you talked to them before you acquired a badge of office, so that way won't work, which is already pretty cool. However, if the Circus Minor is darkened, that freaks the overseer out so he'll let it slide because he wants to get out of there. There's stuff like this all over, stuff that - I should point out - PS:T has very little of. Few of the companions in PS:T even have quests, and companion morale was so bugged that for all practical purposes it didn't exist. The complaint about Tides of Numenera having companion quests that were too simple is disingenuous in that light. The Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon was well written, but hard to get right it was not.

So T:ToN has a lot of reactivity, but, all of these intricate extra paths to solve quests after failed rolls and such - I've only seen a few, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more - are things that people will probably never see, because like the review pointed out, the game mechanics for exploration skill rolls is highly exploitable and I imagine most people will happily savescum if they failed, say, an 85% probability roll that can't be retaken. What's more, most of the changes aren't terribly interesting, except in a "whoa, the developers thought of that too" kind of way - they don't lead into any especially interesting results. Now, of course, there's only a handful of choices with genuinely interesting results in PS:T, which is, ultimately, rather linear and doesn't really react a whole lot to what the player is doing. But PS:T just has a more interesting scenario and better writing, so the few things that the player does get to do feel more meaningful, so that's that.

In any case, I don't think that Tides of Numenera lacks for ambition or effort. My impression is that if it was mismanaged, it's due to getting caught up in putting entirely superfluous polish on pointless details and not seeing the forest for the (dialogue) trees. So it's just a game that suffocates under the pressure of trying to live up to its spiritual predecessor, to the effect that it - entirely predictably, I might add - fails to capture the irreverent and black-humoured spirit of the original.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)