Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: The Long Journey Home

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Wonderdoggender: ⚧ Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Wonderdog
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I can see now what ways it's like star control but unfortunately it sounds like shit.

In star control you can make bank as a miner easily, the main problem is the danger of getting to the areas. There can be danger too but the danger is to lose crew. Having yet another 'economy' shitfest in a game is utter :negative:

Since you only can fight with your main ship then the main good thing about SC is also thrown out - the amusing combat between the very different ship types.

So really it sounds like there is no reason to want to play this game to be honest.

^ Top  
  2. CreamyBloodgender: ⚧ Arcane

CreamyBlood
    Parrots:
    Good review. I want to get this game. Think I'll get it for my dad for Fathers Day (he's an FTL freak).

I might hold out because of the interface issues and especially the 'console inventory' design. Anyone here try Risen 2? The inventory system in that was completely retarded.

^ Top  
  3. Pope Amole IIgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Pope Amole II
    Parrots:
    What the fuck got wrong with the Codex? Good indie stuff gets mostly ignored and undiscussed, shit like this gets a positive frontpage review.

• it is a mystery x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • butthurt x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. V_Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Wasn't it always like that?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Geez, the slower you drive, the more shortsighted you become? What the hell?

Excellent [​IMG] and [​IMG] review.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again DarkUnderlordgender: ⚧ Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    "major problem with the game: The interface. TLJH is designed to be played with a controller, presumably for easy porting to consoles, and this has resulted in an interface that is frustratingly obtuse"

... and that right there is where we lost all interest. Disappointing, it sounded good up to that point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Funnily, that's something it shares with Star Control 2.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Other than the tiny minority of people who played SC2 on the 3DO, I don't think anyone played it with a controller. It just had the simple controls that were ubiquitous in action games on the PC back then.

As I understand it, the problem with the minigames in TLJH is that they require analogue joysticks or whatever, not that they use a WASD + shoot + alternate control system that would be easy to replicate on a console.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    By 1992, most PC games that could use it had mouse support. Star Control 2's keyboard-only interface for stuff like the starmap was very unusual. The reason why:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Just to be clear, "Star Control 2's keyboard-only interface" was "designed to be played with a controller"? o.O

Anyway, it seems like the fallacy (not sure if it's deliberate trolling or an innocent mistake) of your position is that "designed to be playable with a controller" (which is the most you can say about Star Control II) is not the same thing as "designed to be played with a controller." For example, Doom was designed to be playable with a mouse, but Half-Life has designed to be played with a mouse.

Nothing about Star Control 2 is difficult to control on a keyboard, but even TLJH's vigorous supporters say that it is extremely difficult to control the lander on a keyboard.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Sure, that's why I didn't quote this part of DU's post:

^ Top  
  12. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    While I haven't had a chance to play more than about and hour of this game, I really haven't been bothered by the controls much at all, and they haven't seemed overtly consolish to me yet. The only thing I've had difficulty with is the planet lander parts, which to my knowledge are intended to be quite challenging and tense. Besides that, I can navigate menus with direct mouse clicks which is all I really need in my PC ui.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Archibaldgender: ⚧ Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    Better than having 4 PoE reviews.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    (((Infinitron))). He decides what goes and what not.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Hoaxmetalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
    Implying that there are barely any people writing reviews.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Since the game has got a 10% discount on the ongoing Steam sale, here is a follow up to my review.

The review was published on the Codex June 8, and some of the issues raised within were addressed in an update on June 9. See underlined:

Show Spoiler

I asked the developers about the remaining issues on their Discord:

So while there's no promise that these changes are actually in the works and no timeline, they are at least aware of the concerns I raised and are taking most of them under consideration. I will continue to monitor the situation and keep you apprised. Hope this helps if you're still on the fence.

As for whether the Codex review will get quoted on the Steam page, that is up to the Daedalic PR side. Which sounds to me like a no, since PR would have already did that weeks ago if they were so inclined. Well it was worth a shot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)