Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Dwarf Run

A fun game I'd otherwise have missed -- thanks, Bubbles.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
this game is pretty fun. I think it is a bit of a misnomer to label experimenting with different character builds as "cheating" though

Mark Richard

Arcane
The arena has slaughtered Dwarf Run’s momentum for me. There just isn't enough going on in the encounters themselves to justify such a lengthy segment. The environment is always a wide open featureless expanse of sand, and there are no choke points, hazards, or intractable objects. This is the opposite of Blackguards where the arena provided some of the more memorable battles. Up until that point I was having a ball.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
My very first review blurb!

Y1xWGhz.png

Soon all the major developers will be quoting us instead of IGN :salute:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is really good. The puzzles are easy even for someone as bad at puzzles as me, but I enjoy the fights that play by their own rules, like the 7 sins. The lack of shops (and being unable to just buy everything) and general scarcity of ammo and consumables is also a big plus.

I'm still before the arena though. Do I miss anything if I switch to less arena battles? If there are less fights I'll miss on gold, items and XP, no?

ZeebaEata

Arcane
Developer
Hi Dr Skeleton, it's nice to meet a like-minded adventurer!
The only thing that you miss switching the Hardcore Arena off are some fights. What's to XP and gold, you will receive a bit less XP and a bit more gold on Casual. If you run most of your battle turns in Auto mode and don't mind fighting, try the Hardcore arena. Otherwise, don't hesitate to stay on Casual - you will miss nothing of value.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for replying.
I like the combat (and I don't use the auto mode), but I'm not sure if I want 50(?) similar fights in a row, so I'll probably switch to casual. I left at the start of chapter 6 and I want to finish the game this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom