Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

sstacks

Arcane
So, meh-good-meh-meh-awful-good-meh.

Okies.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If a review with such high standards and amount of nitpicking was done for any recent "big" RPG release (Witcher 3 or whatever crap like that), the reviewer would go insane.

The whole review seems like a comparison of AoD with the perfect RPG in the mind of the reviewer and contains way too many details to the point that it made me want to play the game less, just because I know so many mechanics already just by reading it.

Also skill checks that block/provide more or less content should not be analyzed to such an extent in a review. You need this and that to do that thing and if you don't have the other thing you can't... Seriously wtf? Is this a review or a feedback for a beta version?

By the way I still haven't even bought AoD and have no personal opinion about it, but this text was not a review that helped me decide if it's a good RPG or not, but more of an extreme breakdown of every feature and mechanic of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If a review with such high standards and amount of nitpicking was done for any recent "big" RPG release (Witcher 3 or whatever crap like that), the reviewer would go insane.

That explains some of Bubbles' behavior over the past couple of weeks. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The whole review seems like a comparison of AoD with the perfect RPG in the mind of the reviewer and contains way too many details to the point that it made me want to play the game less, just because I know so many mechanics already just by reading it.

ok i'll write another one where i really do compare it to dungeon siege 3 instead

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Also skill checks that block/provide more or less content should not be analyzed to such an extent in a review. You need this and that to do that thing and if you don't have the other thing you can't... Seriously wtf? Is this a review or a feedback for a beta version?

By the way I still haven't even bought AoD and have no personal opinion about it, but this text was not a review that helped me decide if it's a good RPG or not, but more of an extreme breakdown of every feature and mechanic of the game.
lmao

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
lmao or not, and dungeon siege 3 jokes aside, the review fails to provide an insight to what the game actually offers and instead focuses on what your high standards expect.
I guess it might appeal to people that have played AoD 20 times already and are familiar with every aspect but to me it didn't review the game properly.
Also, sorry if you expect only positive feedback after a review but as games get judged, so do people that review them. Otherwise every review should be taken seriously...but most aren't and shouldn't.
And from the Codex I do expect criticism,sarcasm and witty humor, but I would also like some emphasis on what a niche CRPG offers in comparison with the mainstream instead of nitpicking and finding every little "imbalance" after 10 playthroughs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the review fails to provide an insight to what the game actually offers and instead focuses on what your high standards expect.

I would also like some emphasis on what a niche CRPG offers in comparison with the mainstream instead of nitpicking and finding every little "imbalance" after 10 playthroughs.

sounds to me like you can't read

but maybe i'm just biased who knows

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
lmao or not, and dungeon siege 3 jokes aside, the review fails to provide an insight to what the game actually offers and instead focuses on what your high standards expect.

To be fair, that could probably be said about his PoE review. I wouldn't know, tho, since I read only two sentences before closing it in rage.

Also, those who bet this review wouldn't generate butthurt can pay now.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

To be fair, that could probably be said about his PoE review. I wouldn't know, tho, since I read only two sentences before closing it in rage.

Also, those who bet this review wouldn't generate butthurt can pay now.
I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the PoE review either. I do like the way you write Darth Roxor, it's just that for me such games (although PoE is not the same with AoD of course) should get some extra focus on the features we've missed for many years. It's just that your reviews consider them a given and then go on to judge the details.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the PoE review either. I do like the way you write Darth Roxor, it's just that for me such games (although PoE is not the same with AoD of course) should get some extra focus on the features we've missed for many years. It's just that your reviews consider them a given and then go on to judge the details.

The revioo is practically chockful of superlatives regarding AoD's combat and replayability and how they genuinely stand out, plus a bunch of positive stuff about its various other aspects, and yet you keep telling me that somehow it's not clear what the game has to offer in comparison to all the other shit out there? What the fuck do you want me to do, write those highlights in font size 72 or put a score and bullet point list of pros and cons at the end?

Lhynn

Arcane
PoE throroughly failed to live up to the expectations it set on kickstarter, and thats what was adressed on Roxors, review. It was fair and maybe too positive in some regards.
AoD aimed much higher, but fell flat in a lot of places and this review reflects that. Which made this one sound a hell of a lot more positive when comparing them.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, had a long weekend. threads about shitty games like fallout 4 and poe are the bests to hang out in tho, really lulzy.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That's a good thing. Who knows when we're going to have another 2015.

AoD is a pretty controversial game here in the 'dex. That's why it's so hard getting a straight answer.

For me what AoD offers is above average writing, great combat and the strongest branching/C&C of all recent RPGs (maybe one of the strongest of all times) which is, IMO more than enough to consider it a great game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
The thing is, and I might not be making this clear with my posts, that AoD cuts off a lot of content depending on your character choices which is something different but Roxor bashes it because it doesn't support "balance", meaning all builds being equally viable.
That's what I got at least.

Lhynn

Arcane
He doesnt bash it, hes just pointing out that making a talky talky character makes the game a visual novel.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The thing is, and I might not be making this clear with my posts, that AoD cuts off a lot of content depending on your character choices which is something different but Roxor bashes it because it doesn't support "balance", meaning all builds being equally viable.
That's what I got at least.

You should be more specific when using the word "balance". Nowadays it means anything. If you mean "combat balance", click on my sig link and read my post about it. It's all there.

As for the "cut content", it has nothing to do with your combat-related choices. You will experience content based on your choices of factions, stats and skills. AoD takes a REALLY strong stance against Mr. jack-of-all-trades. If you don't belong to Faction X, you won't be able to access Faction X's place of bling blings and friendship. It makes perfect in-setting and in-game sense, you're not really "stonewalled" or anything.

Basically, if you think being Grandmaster-of-all-guilds in great Todd-style is a good thing, AoD is not the game for you.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
AoD cuts off a lot of content depending on your character choices but Roxor bashes it because it doesn't support "balance"

seriouslyChan.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like he didn't have the patience to comprehend your long-winded dialogue, Roxor!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom