Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Age of Decadence

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Hint: don't do the spies quest before you reached CS 6. Sure, leveling CS all the way up to 6 hurts your early game, but you'll be thankful once you save 55 SPs later on. You also missed CS training from some dialogues.
and this! I spent 60 SP for CS 8(25 SP for CS 4, then 15 SP for up to 6 and 20 for 7), and by the end had 128 cs rating (also because of crafted dagger(plus some trainings I miss, don't care about because I was doing fast run anyway.. no reason for maxing everything out))
but the thing is, you will get from Teron training only +10 CS anyway, either from skill increase or just training, but having CS skill at higher lvl will help in text adventures

in general, there is no big deference if you playing for AG or any other guild, because Thiefs, for example, have melee training also 10 points in Teron. so by playing for TG you can invest less in weapon skill and more in CS and have a same stats as playing AG.
this type of things are pretty much balanced. of course, you can begin for assassins, get their trainings and then switch to IG to get their "freebies"

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What is this, pictures for ants?
1080p screenshot. I think it's something with your monitor or phone (or eyes...maybe they need some stabbing. I can help with that :desu:).

with +60 cs from passive its obvious you don't need 10

That's what I said from the beggining. Glad to see you came around. :martini:

a dagger you get from trader in the beginning of Maadoran is much better at this time, than any selfcrafted for this specific build(+26 thc)

Your THC goes sky high when combining arbiter and high weapon skill. Again, you would be MUCH better served by going dagger 7 and alchemy, if you really think crafting is not worth it. In fact...that build might be pretty strong.

I know but I still can crit a lot of people w/o helmets, and you can see on screenshots i'd 30% on full armored Aurelian guy so % is not actually that bad(don't forget I had daggers 10!)

The formula for both Aimed: Head and Arterial Strike is [(Stat - 6) - (enemyCON - 6)] * 5. Suppose you're attacking a dude with 6 CON. Your current build results in a 10% penalty to CS (4-6)*5. If you were using a weapon capable of doing Aimed: head (like a spear) you would enjoy a 20% bonus instead. That's 30 CS rating, 3 levels of CS skill right there, possibly 75 SPs. I've said it many times and I'll say it again: viable, but subpar. :obviously:

he's paying for this by -20HP, that's huge actually.
He is a hybrid. That's part of the beauty of AoD's system: a fully dedicated combat character will ALWAYS be better at fighting than a hybrid.

if you want high THC you can do a fighter with 10 perception
actually, dagger fighter 4-10-8-10-4-4 would be stronger than yours
No it wouldn't. Dumping STR is a very bad idea, since STR is necessary for Aimed: arms and not to mention the damage. If I were to make a full combat assassin, I'd probably go for a spear with 10-10-8-4-4-4 stats. Don't know. I'm planning on recording a new Ironman game anyway, so that's some decent food for thought. :)

60% increase. Math, bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you don't understand why when I have perception 4 I should really go for high weapon skill.... its because aimed attacks goes with even more THC penalty, that's why you either put a passive ability to a good use or stats like str/per for high crit chance

I understand perfectly, which is why I avoid said build. I used PER 4 in my ironman run because I was going for axes and no CS, so the THC penalty was not a big deal. When going for daggers, perception is nothing short of mandatory.

you will get from Teron training only +10 CS anyway
Nope. 17 actually. 70% more :troll:

having CS skill at higher lvl will help in text adventures
The only CS check that requires more than 8 CS is for killing Hamza. And why would you do that!?!? :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

there is no big deference if you playing for AG or any other guild
Yes, yes there is. Because that 30 CS training is what allows you to keep your CS skill at only 8, thus avoiding the 55 SP cost to bump it to 10. Without it you'll have to either invest more SPs into CS OR accept the fact that every time a guy shows up in Imperial Armor + helmet you won't be able to crit him reliably.

What an interesting discussion to follow! Thank you both guys for insightful comments and build ideas.
Yet no brofists on either side. Math nerds get bullied. Even in the Codex :negative:

at least you are not saying i'm amazingly stupid anymore...
Don't get used to it :smug:.

I'm joking. The truth is I've spent the last couple of days on a Steam Crusade against idiots downvoting AoD and Underrail in their reviews because "combat2hard. Would not recommend". I've read every stupid argument imaginable, countered bullshit with good old math and created a fair amount of :butthurt: among steam reviewers. But these things take their toll. I'm tired and a lot edgier than usual. I'll stop the name calling, but I'll argue until page 47 that 9 weapon skill by early Maadoran is a huge waste of SP. You can count on that. :cool:

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Yes, yes there is. Because that 30 CS training is what allows you to keep your CS skill at only 8, thus avoiding the 55 SP cost to bump it to 10.
again, look at that dagger - it has +21 for aimed attacks, +30 CS. With daggers 10 I had +81 for aimed attacks, then plus 128 CS rating, then +/- str/per. its already more than enough(200+ CS chance), but to be able to actually hit every single attack, I need huge THC now.
check the screenshots again! I had 89% crit arterial on Demon.

No it wouldn't. Dumping STR is a very bad idea, since STR is necessary for Aimed: arms and not to mention the damage.
you just need to use deferent tactics. with this build you will crit arterial every single attack ignoring opponents armor
if you never tried dagger with 4 str 10 per, then you don't know how powerful arterial strikes can be.

He is a hybrid.
its just another category.
but the point was, I could also go with perception 8 instead con 8, and then I would had 125 THC after Teron instead 105.
that would allow me to forget about hitting legs, just arms and arterial instead
If you were using a weapon capable of doing Aimed: head (like a spear) you would enjoy a 20% bonus instead. That's 30 CS rating, 3 levels of CS skill right there, possibly 75 SPs. I've said it many times and I'll say it again: viable, but subpar. :obviously:
if I were using spear, I would lose passive effect from daggers, so in this situation is 81-30= I would actually lost 51 CS if I were hitting in the head

Last edited:

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Yes, yes there is. Because that 30 CS training is what allows you to keep your CS skill at only 8, thus avoiding the 55 SP cost to bump it to 10.
as I said, I've spent only 60 SP for CS 8, and I don't need any more. in fact, I could have even 6 or 7 investing only 25-40 SP.
but you will spent 95 SP for CS 8

Nope. 17 actually. 70% more
look at log window, its 10 (also before and after)
6e748ae7f33c.jpg
433990e420bb.jpg
bf988fbbb870.jpg

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
so, for those of you who still interested, here is much better build
2d0c3bd8487e.jpg

648c206c3ef3.jpg

055ccbe0baf6.jpg

dc875f5fef92.jpg
I've checked "ironman" video again, and can say that with this build a lot of fights would be much easier(for example, I'd killed Galbrio losing about 10HP without using alchemy(although I could)). I was wrong when I said 6 or 7 crit would be enough... 5 is enough. Killing boatmans in Teron is excellent choice which provides a lot of nice daggers and armor.
Raising alchemy/crafting up to 4/4 in Maadoran is a good idea, actually. The other thing, worth to mention, is to use deferent daggers for deferent attacks. The large one, have better crit% for arms/legs, and small for arterials. In the end I had a lot of extra SPs I don't really need, because of dagger passive being so good you don't really need crit skill. probably, its a best weapon in game. Well, maybe throwing weapons are little bit better, because being able to kill Zamedi Demon in early Maadoran, arena champion in first two rounds, is also really cool.

Last edited:

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It feels like having an experienced designer and writer on staff would have helped immensely. But bootstrapping that is hard.

Having good taste doesn't instantly make you a good creator (or people woulda bought my music).

v. much looking forward to the Generation Ship RPG tho.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
this game is soo amazing but i wish i doesnt have to reload so much -_- but i am have fun :)

Skall

Learned
I liked the review and the amount of detail that went into it, e.g., the lack of small-talk and its effects on conversational flow. In fact, it convinced me to not only check out AoD, but also to register on RPGCodex after sporadic bouts of lurking.

And, of course, congrats on getting the game out after all these years, Vince!

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At the time of writing, there are over 700 comments in the undertale review thread and less than 300 in this thread, respectively.

:negative:

A significant amount of posts in the Undertale thread involve AoD though while so far I think only your post in this thread involves Undertale, which is something your calculation should, properly, take into account imho.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is update 3 live yet or is it still in beta? I really want to get back to AoD and do my Praetor combat run.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A significant amount of posts in the Undertale thread involve AoD though while so far I think only your post in this thread involves Undertale, which is something your calculation should, properly, take into account imho.
Also the ratio of hate/critique versus praise. AoD is one of the most praised games on the codex, which is saying something.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also the ratio of hate/critique versus praise. AoD is one of the most praised games on the codex, which is saying something.
It says Lurker King and Likaq post a lot on AoD threads

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh my, but my post involves both, so I think it cancels out, right*?

On topic, review was thoughtful, I am yet to play the game even if it has been installed ever since early December.

*) Not that I would artificially inflate the count of this thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom