Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again DarkUnderlordgender: ⚧ Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Click here and disable ads!
    Infinitron is changing all the reviews to suit Mossad's agenda of upsetting foreign language individuals via passive aggressive editing on the Codex.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Best Deal! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. VentilatorOfDoomgender: ⚧ RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    When I (and Lurker King who helped me, thx bro) rewrote Konjad's Quickies - and I mean not only correcting grammar and typos but literally translating it from potato inglese into something that at least somewhat resembles actual English, as good as a non-native speaker like myself can do that anyway - I wasn't even aware we had an editorial policy here and that I would have had to ask for Konjad's approval. You learn something new every day, men.

• Friendly x 5
    • Salute x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    In the revision phase, yes: it's perfectly OK for the writer to withdraw the story or the editor to refuse it at that time. Once it's been accepted for publication this isn't kosher anymore: it wouldn't be fair to the people who put in the work to copyedit it. Asking the writer to sign off on the final version is a courtesy, not a requirement, and the writer should only request changes at that point for extremely good reasons.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cadmusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    This took me by surprise, I think Commandos 2 was one of the best games ever made. And now there's another game in the genre and it even seems great? Wow!

Prime cunta is amazing in how he says he's been writing semi-professionally for years yet everything he writes reads like the most boring thing on the planet. I can literally feel the life being sucked out of me when readin that crap.

Ludo mang what is the problem, you can't stop the drama at the appetizer! Was it the Jews? Was it the Niggers? Who dun it?
    I think the review is pretty good. The cell shading is really my only problem with the game.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

also lol @ cunta

^ Top  
  6. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I love you too my fanclub <3

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    So, I guess this was the neutral-positive review, edgelord version when?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ZagorTeNejgender: ⚧ Arcane

ZagorTeNej
    Parrots:
    Genuinely good games don't need one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    How will we know it is genuinely good without an edgelord verison

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Jinngender: ⚧ Cipher

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Well, Roxor actually liked this game, and no one is edgier than him, so.....

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Infinitranny only made a small handful of corrections to my much longer Underrail Re-Preview. No matter how good you think your elite English grammar and vocabulary skills are, it's always best to have someone else check your work.

Glancing through the diff-checker comparison of the before and after of Ludo's review, I suspect the butthurt stems mainly from rephrasings done during copy-editing... some of these rephrasings seem unnecessary for the sake of either flow or clarity, but none of them change the essence of what's being said.

In any case, you can only expect so much when a Jewish golem is the RPG Codex editor-in-chief.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Archibaldgender: ⚧ Arcane

Archibald
    Parrots:
    It probably would be better if you stopped using that phrase. At this point it looks like a get out of jail card that is used in any context regarding front-page material.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    *shrug* It's been used twice and both in appropriate contexts. That both happened so close to each other is just another one of 2016-2017's unusual events. Take it up with DU!

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Blainegender: ⚧ Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    The Codex doesn't have any specific prerequisites for writing a game review other than being at least halfway-competent at communication and composition, nor do they dictate the style and tone of what is written.

The thread linking to my Re-Preview of Underrail received about 11,000 views. Even if only a few thousand people actually read the review (with perhaps a few hundred reading the entire article), you're afforded the opportunity to have your opinions of incline (or decline) read by potentially thousands of people, with what is realistically minimal interference from the staff and no particular requirements or deadlines for you to deal with.

It's a pretty good deal. The ultimate goal should be to bring incline to those who don't even realize there's such a thing as the decline, or to inform those who are already :obviously: of a game's status as either incline or decline. Your artistic integrity as a gaming journalist (kek) isn't really that important.

Granted, there have been some apparent shenanigans involving reviews of Codex darling games such as Pillars of Eternity, but fanboys rushing to pen positive shill reviews in the wake of a Roxxoring isn't exactly against any set of rules or moral code. They're entitled to their own shitty opinions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. MicoSelvagender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think it should say "spilt". This is where autocorrect fails you. ;)

Thanks for the review, btw.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. twincastgender: ⚧ Learned Patron In My Safe Space

twincast
    Parrots:
    This can hardly be overstated. Normally I stick to the original language version whenever possible to experience what comes closest to the creators' vision and because it's a simple fact that there's always stuff lost in translation - sometimes unavoidably so, yet often for no good reason. Plus, 99% of the time a dub's voice-acting is inferior to the original on every level - sometimes extremely so, sometimes merely slightly so, usually somewhere in the middle, but practically always inferior. However in this case the translation actually adds to it for once, elevating it from a Western B-movie to about an average Japanese period drama (jidaigeki), i.e. far from historically accurate but feeling passably authentic. Whoever's responsible for this deserves some serious extra cash. In fact the contrast between the two versions is so stark, I quickly simply could no longer stand reading the English texts while listening to the far superior Japanese dub which makes the "A-san, B-san, everyone's a San-san" version read like a bad pre-WWW sub. Hence I've been playing a game created in English by Germans completely in Japanese. Heh.

Anyway, it's a really neat specimen of a genre I'd thought I'd never see again (to this extent). And the collectors' edition had some sweet physical goodies.

:4/5:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MicoSelvagender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Infinitron

I found one more typo:

I am not an expert in Japanese, but surviving 45873465873465 episodes of Naruto tells me that this should be "Shurikenjutsu".

WHOA! Seriously? That is pretty dumb.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)