Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Risen 3: Titan Lords

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I thought you were a little hard on shitty-but-not-that-shitty Risen 2, so I don't know how to take this shit. I'll wait for a $10 sale anyway, so it's no big loss either way.

4:3 screenshots are always amusing.

Revenant

Not trying to nitpick here, but am I to understand from the review that Roxor was perplexed by his character's inability to swim in lava?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not trying to nitpick here, but am I to understand from the review that Roxor was perplexed by his character's inability to swim in lava?

No, he was perplexed by his character being teleported back to land after dropping into lava.

I thought you were a little hard on shitty-but-not-that-shitty Risen 2, so I don't know how to take this shit.

For what it's worth, I consider Ris3n to be overall worse than Ri2en. Proceed with caution.

Revenant

No, he was perplexed by his character being teleported back to land after dropping into lava.
Heh, that's what I figured, although it was your mention of swimming through lava among other alternatives for crossing the river that appeared bizarre to me. After jumping in lava in games, I usually expect either an instant or a very fast death of the character, and the game teleporting you out is essentially a quick reload. As I said, not trying to nitpick here, I myself probably wouldn't even have thought to willingly jump into lava.

Overall, what a depressing review. It has completely crushed any remaining hopes I had about this game and now I'm giving it a wide, wide berth. I think the most disappointing thing about Risen 3 is this apparent thematic Frankenstein monster of the game world. Does Piranha Bytes really expect us to take their worldbuilding seriously after such a senseless amalgamation of medieval, pirate and colonial themes? Nope, this just doesn't do it. At least Risen 1 and Risen 2 were thematically consistent on their own, but this is just unacceptable.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
although it was your mention of swimming through lava among other alternatives

I didn't intend to swim through lava. It's on this map:

11680.jpg

The lava river ends in the sea. You can't swim through the sea and land on the other shore because fuck you.

Revenant

Ah, I see, then I understood that part of the review wrong :lol: The inability to cross that bit of water is especially ridiculous, considering the apparent similarity between the said situation and this screenshot posted before the release:

Risen-3-Titan-Lords-new-Screenshot-and-Concept-Art-swimming.jpg

ioanvonhans

Educated
I was hoping how, against all odds, Piranha's latest stab at the open RPG formula will magically turn out to be good, or at least be a case of it's so bad it's good. No, sir! It had to be another pirate encrusted shlock. Color me disappointed.

Perhaps there is a logical explanation, say Risen 2 sold better than 1. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom