Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity II - It's Pretty Alright

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
someone on reddit finally posted a thread for the review

mostly seem butthurt that he called the companions flaming homos

Wait, this wasn't an official review by an employee?

vEDhBo4A_o.png
WOWZER
We have employees? I mean, I know about the Lithuanian Hitm-

Cadmus

Arcane
Infinitron should write the review as the official face of the Codex but the review would probably consist of only citations from other reviews...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Good review and I agree almost 100% with it.

The only thing that's missing is bigger emphasis on how shit the ship management layer and, especially, the ship combat is. It really makes keep from POE1 look like a cool feature.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So "it's pretty alright™" is the new black on the RPG Codex website, huh?
Not quite as edgy as "it sucks potato-sized turds", is it?
Whatever happened to "we hate everything you love!"! ???!!!!?
:stunned:

Should this trend of softness continue, I'll consider switching to RPGWatch instead
:smug:

I tried to warn you all back in July: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/trigger-the-codex-with-a-statement.112015/page-45
There is the Codex - the original Codex of the Astartes - and then there is merely Codex compliant. Modern Codex is being tempted by Chaos.

molotov.

Novice
Great review. My favourite part: “Pallegina, you should learn to respect her opinions” hell... you can shit on PoE's writing all you want but they never did something like that, or maybe they did and I just didn't find it amidst the wall of text.

Ps: Regarding the combat discussion. I liked PoE combat... I’m new to the CRPG genre, maybe that is the reason. I accept recommendations.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I’m new to the CRPG genre, maybe that is the reason. I accept recommendations.
Underrail, BG 1 & 2, IWD 1 & 2, and PS:T are all great isometric RPGs. PoE was based on them so if you enjoyed some of it, you'll likely love these games. Some other good cRPG recommendations that come to mind that aren't isometric games are King of Dragon Pass, Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos, Sunless Sea, and TBS 1-3. PS:T and Underrail are some of the greatest games of all time, and the BG + IWD series really scratch the fantasy D&D itch better than any other game out there.

Mortmal

Arcane
Great review. My favourite part: “Pallegina, you should learn to respect her opinions” hell... you can shit on PoE's writing all you want but they never did something like that, or maybe they did and I just didn't find it amidst the wall of text.

Ps: Regarding the combat discussion. I liked PoE combat... I’m new to the CRPG genre, maybe that is the reason. I accept recommendations.
Some here started the crpg genre with oblivion, and they liked it. A kid without money cant be picky i guess. Combat in crpg is never fantastic best stuff is found in the like of jagged alliance.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just started playing PoE 2 a couple of days ago. It is far, far better than the piece of shit that was the original. Yes, the writing sucks, and yes the main quest is uninspiring and easy to ignore. The naval shit is stupid, too. Yet, the mechanics are so much better than the original, and the game is more open-world now. Plenty of interesting items, too. It is a genuinely decent game. I just cleared the tombs under the Temple of Berath; it is allegedly meant for a party at least 3 levels higher than my own, and I really appreciate that we can turn level scaling off so that challenges exist.

molotov.

Novice
I’m new to the CRPG genre, maybe that is the reason. I accept recommendations.
Underrail, BG 1 & 2, IWD 1 & 2, and PS:T are all great isometric RPGs. PoE was based on them so if you enjoyed some of it, you'll likely love these games. Some other good cRPG recommendations that come to mind that aren't isometric games are King of Dragon Pass, Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos, Sunless Sea, and TBS 1-3. PS:T and Underrail are some of the greatest games of all time, and the BG + IWD series really scratch the fantasy D&D itch better than any other game out there.

Thank you very much for the list, I actually have some of those games on my Steam library. I got Underrail for free iirc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One week after Roxor's PoE review: 80 page discussion
One week after Roxor's PoE II review: 8 page discussion

Rot in purgatory, Obsidian.

Mortmal

Arcane
One week after Roxor's PoE review: 80 page discussion
One week after Roxor's PoE II review: 8 page discussion

Rot in purgatory, Obsidian.
Absolutely no drama, people does not even care anymore, no fun to have here...Usually a very bad sign on the codex.

Sizzle

Arcane
Well, PoE1 was divisive, PoE2 - not so much.

No one can argue that PoE2's story is good, just like no one can argue that it doesn't have many options to solve quests. It does some things pretty well (RP options, items, exploration, character building options), some awful (main story, characters, writing), and the only thing people can are left to argue about are its so-so elements like combat.

Prime Junta

Dunno about the rest of you but at least I'm feeling some combat fatigue also. The Codex is mostly just the same people repeating the same opinions about the same (or similar) things. I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

Moreover, there have been very few games lately that break any new ground in any way. It's been either the usual garbage, or old ideas retreaded to varying degrees of success. It's hard to work up a good head of steam about either of them.

Help us Disco Elysium, you're our only hope (continuously and pointedly ignored by Infinitron too).

Bohr

Arcane
I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

I guess some positions are pretty entrenched at this point

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

I guess some positions are pretty entrenched at this point

lol, so true.

azimuth

Educated
Dunno about the rest of you but at least I'm feeling some combat fatigue also. The Codex is mostly just the same people repeating the same opinions about the same (or similar) things. I don't really need to read the damn thing to know what everybody thinks, and it feels fairly futile to say anything either because most people will either know what I think anyway, or have such strong beliefs about what I think that nothing I could say would change them anyway.

Moreover, there have been very few games lately that break any new ground in any way. It's been either the usual garbage, or old ideas retreaded to varying degrees of success. It's hard to work up a good head of steam about either of them.

Help us Disco Elysium, you're our only hope (continuously and pointedly ignored by Infinitron too).
On this note, I think it's time to find a new person to review your games. He doesn't even enjoy it anymore, and the RPG Codex has no value to the world if it doesn't take games seriously.

Why do I read this site if I'm just going to read a review by someone who is "happy the lore stuff was behind wiki-links so I don't have to read it"? Yeah, that's funny, but that's what every lazy mainstream journalist does. I don't read this site to find even an even lazier take than that. I read this to find a passionate, hardcore take by people who love the genre. This reads like it was written by an apathetic stoner trying to entertain his friends.

Time for some new blood.

Tigranes

Arcane
Write a review, send it in. I don't think people ask to review shit then get rejected, usually nobody wants to sit down and write something that takes more effort than a random trail of consciousness because, well, it's work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom