Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Aug 21, 2017.

1. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Felipepepe played for 80 hr straight without knowing that you can rmb the combat actions? Sounds painful, I'd have toned down combat to minimum as well in that case.
    Pretty good review, although there are a few incorrect statements and complaining about non-issues.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Lord Andregender: ⚧ Arcane

Lord Andre
    Parrots:
    The problem isn't that you don't have an argument, the problem is that it is greatly exaggerated.

For example, the first time I encountered a dragonfly I learned they can insta kill you but don't have that much life. Ever since then when I fight them I have a character stand by with a wand of missiles/fireballs ready to ensure a kill if my fighters didn't get the job done. All my chars have high speed naturally and they are distanced apart by 1-2 points to ensure the exact perfect order I want them to act in. And of course they all act before the monster unless they are casting spells. Wands are a perfect failsafe to put on the last chars acting to ensure a troublesome monster/monsters don't get to act at all.

I also never use a bard. There are ways to strategize and tactics to be found. This is the main point of contention. No one is disputing that certain things might need to be tweaked.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    Nice reversal. Cleve permabans everyone who expresses even the slightest of criticisms on the steam forums, no matter ho nicely put. Such behavior played a not insignificant role in the reversal of the support that he initially had from the community.

• Shit x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • You're Fired! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DavidBValgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I don't think I have changed my view on the game. I love Grimoire, but I've experienced by myself the sudden drop in balance and polish after the first part of the game. And I feel the attacks on Felipepepe for stating this very obvious truth have more to do with issues unrelated to Grimoire or the review itself.

As a disclaimer I'll say that I have faith in Cleve. He will probably fix everything that is lacking, and make of Grimoire one of the best RPGs ever. But what is wrong in saying it isn't that right now?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Fowyrgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Kublai Axis is rife with arrows.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Nyastgender: ⚧ Learned

Nyast
    Parrots:
    You Heretic !

This is not how INCLINE is supposed to be !

INCLINE is, for each trash combat ( and there are thousands of them before you finish the game ), you roll a 1d10 and if it's 1, you encountered <insert random mob name that will attack first and do 10 times more damage than your characters have hitpoints and give you little XP if by miracle you kill it> so 1+ of your characters will randomly die. If you resurrect them, you get permanent constitution loss and since nobody wants that, the only effective choice you have is to reload. Get used to reloading a lot, that's good game design, I hear proof is everybody loves Wizardry VII, can't go wrong with that.

Don't listen to the forces of DECLINE that will tell you there's no way around that. They don't know that you can keep up all your magical protections at all times such as armorplate/magical shield/missile shield. It only requires you to navigate and spamclick into menus every dozen tiles you progress on a map. A worthy sacrifice to avoid reloading all the time which is x10 faster.

As for the other 9 encounters out of 10, there's so much tactical depth and smart thinking required into holding the enter key and watching unskippable animations while you're rolling over opponents that can't do anything that I'd be tempted to call the mob protection society while bathing into hundreds of easy XP. It would make the golden baby cry of joy. But watch out for conditions that will force you into even more menus clicking !

See, Heretic, your concerns are unfounded. The forces of INCLINE have triumphed. Your soul will not be tainted. You're ready for Grimwah 2.

• Funny x 12
    • retadred x 4
    • Edgy x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DavidBValgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I've said before that there's a consensus on Grimoire's "greatness" and that the discrepances are a matter of degree.

Actually, it is the first time in a long time there's a RPG here that doesn't have a relevant camp of haters. Most people think it's the greatest thing invented since tits.

But great or not, I am sincere and I don't exxagerate my own experience. At some point I felt the game was considerably less fun it was in the first hours, and I felt it was for very silly reasons. It could be that I've grown soft and decline has tainted me? Maybe, but it happened to many people as well. All those that say they'll wait for V2. Or just go and check on Steamspy, sales go up and up, concurrent users go down and down. But there's no problem to report in a review?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Lord Andregender: ⚧ Arcane

Lord Andre
    Parrots:
    I'm not questioning your authenticity and I am not negating the late game issues. I am however asserting that the review diagnoses those issues incorrectly. It has nothing to do with decline, I just believe that the issue warrants a more nuanced analysis than the review provides.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. zeitgeistgender: ⚧ Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    Have there been any staff reactions to these potentially malicious statements yet? It's one thing to publish dubious subjective judgments that one would have to go into paragraphs upon paragraphs of debate to prove or disprove, but this can be verified as completely false in less than a minute, you only have to do a quick start and hover your mouse button over the main combat icons or try to right click on them.

I see that people already mentioned these issues, so why haven't they been clarified and corrected by the reviewer?

A simple note explaining how he managed to play the game for 80 hours without hovering on any UI elements for more than half a second, or how his professional curiosity failed to make him attempt right-clicking on the main combat button before resolutely stating that this was an impossible action would suffice. Unless this is a collaborative attempt to ruin the developer's reputation, of course.

• Brofist x 11
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Elwrogender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Thank you for the informative review, felipepepe !

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So Missile Shield prevents instakill spears? Yes or no?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Lord Andregender: ⚧ Arcane

Lord Andre
    Parrots:
    It protects against projectiles so it would help when they throw the spears towards your back row. When they attack the front, no. That's my understanding.

^ Top  
  13. TZ3Kgender: ⚧ Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    Stern words from beyond the 'Dex.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 22
    • Informative x 7
    • incline x 4
    • Doggy x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    I rate this post "Creative"...

• Shit x 9
    • Funny x 1
    • Tool x 1
    • Old x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Leitzgender: ⚧ Learned

Leitz
    Parrots:
    Nitpicking little bitch.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Graukengender: ⚧ Magister Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Transparently taking things out of context cunt.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. Gangrelrumblergender: ⚧ Arcane

Gangrelrumbler
    Parrots:
    Elminage Gothic is not a weaboo game thought. I'd appreciate it if people would stop calling in that. It has no weeb-appeal, sold 9k copies, and got mixed ratings and Stema. Proper weeb games always loved by players and sell much more than that. You might just as well call Grimoire a AAA+ title.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kleptocratic debt serfgender: ⚧ Educated

Kleptocratic debt serf
    Parrots:
    You know, if you are going to quote Goebbels, you might as well include the rest of his essay... I'll even substitute Poseur as you have done oh and whenever Germany is mentioned I will substitute it with "Codexia" or some such - makes it more interesting that way...

• Racist x 9
    • Salute x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    :lol:
    Mate, it is illegal to own a nigga like that.

• Shit Shit x 4
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Decadogender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Old time handsome face wrecker Patron

Decado
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    I don't know whose screenshot this is, but all of those char names are fucking terrible and that person should feel ashamed.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Fowyrgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Blame Cleve. It's standard party. :D

• Funny Funny x 12
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Lord Andregender: ⚧ Arcane

Lord Andre
    Parrots:
    It's a simplistic snorefest with animu graphics, what do you want me to call it if not weaboo crap ?

INB4 an Administrator posts another picture of a boring maze like map and tells me that the game is super complex.

• retadred retadred x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    Grimoire NPCs like Raghilda are more Anime than anything you'll encounter in Elminage Gothic

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Doctor Sbaitsogender: ⚧ SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands
    I would guess aweigh would have something to say.

^ Top  
  25. I'm With Her NotAGolfergender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Patron

NotAGolfer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So ... are there really no traps - and therefore also no puzzles where you deactivate them - in this game or is that another thing felipepepe made up (besides the tool tips and the right clicking)?
    Sounds a bit boring then, with the combat being broken and no good loot in chests etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)