Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Excellent review. The ability to invoke Butthurt Roguey is a nice bonus. :salute:

• Brofist x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • WTF!? x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PhantasmaNLgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    Mentioned by others probably

food can be used as a cheap vitality boost during combat, so useless, no

Selecting a spell or other action is actually easy with the dropdown list. I see this in yt playthroughs too, players continously clicking on the arrows....that is 25 hours of your 600 right there. And if you want to cast after that only 1 click will lead you to the spell arsenal. Amazing. (Admittedly the ui can use some enhanced ergonomics)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    "There's" also functions as a contraction of "there are" in all but the most formal and stuffy settings.

• Disagree x 3
    • decline x 3
    • Bad Spelling x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • You're Fired! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Zed Duke of Banvillegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    There are two ride-able turtles. :incline:

[​IMG]

• incline x 10
    • Brofist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Yuge! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    I'll read the rest of it today but I'll just repost two things I highlighted in the content forum which I think are very silly to complain about in the way this revioo does:

first

All of this is a Wizardry staple. Running into mobs of casters that murderise you in one turn with spellspam is part of the package. Being just as likely to run into said casters as into giant rats is part of the package as well.

Take Wiz 7 and the "greater wilds"/"brombadian bay" area in the southwest corner of the map - the encounter table for that one includes starter-zone-tier glow moths and vampire rooks, a little tougher glow/luna mothras and zoids, still a bit tougher vampire vultures and bantari, much tougher thraxes, and finally stuff like 5 mobs of 8 turbothraxes that all spit aoe acid or godzylli and rexx that stomp your balls for 400 damage and breathe fireballs.

lol this is just munkharama but with added dragonfly summons

second

i had to click the map 20 times which was a big problem, really

• Brofist x 16
    • Funny x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Drog Black Toothgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    *shots fired*

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. aratukgender: ⚧ Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    Hmm, to me this comes off as a positive review. To summarize it in a sentence I might say, "Game is enjoyable & very promising, though still needs a lot of work."

The condensed version of Felipe's thoughts, as posted to Steam, sounded much more hyperbolic. He's being evenhanded here. Encouraging, even.

Cleve seems intensely bothered if anyone other than himself points out that the game still isn't finished. But this is the helpful kind of scrutiny, and hopefully he can put it to good use.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Uuuh it wasn't the content of this review that got Cleve riled up was it.

^ Top  
  9. aratukgender: ⚧ Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    No, what I'm saying is that I hope his response to this review isn't similar to the massive butthurt that was his response to Felipe's earlier statement.

^ Top  
  10. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    We now judge games based on how "balanced" they are. That's it. It's over. Codex is dead.

• retadred x 9
    • Funny x 5
    • Despair x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Are you dumb or just pretending.

• Agree x 6
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    I guess I'm dumb, since the alternative seems to be complaining about staples of dungeon crawler gameplay.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Nigger do you even know what balance is.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. aw shucksgender: ⚧ Magister

aw shucks
    Parrots:
    the review feels too short for a reportedly 80-90h long game more than two decades in development and I don't really understand why was it posted so soon instead of later this year

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Yeah it's p. strange. RPG Codex content generally has a long space between submission and publishing.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Possibly this one didn't have to go through the extra step of having Infinitron crying that it's not fair to Obsidian.

• Funny x 31
    • Brofist x 5
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bumvelcrowgender: ⚧ Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    That was a good and fair review that mostly dealt with the game rather than the drama until the very end. I think the conclusion is basically 'promising, but not finished' so whether it's recommended depends on whether you believe Cleve will actually finish it. Clearly FP doesn't, which given the time in development is probably a fair judgement. I also think that it's this belief that has prompted a review now as a finished game rather than a work in progress, and that's the only issue I have with the review. While Cleve is still working on it (and he clearly is) it should have been a first look not a final review, no matter whether the game is available to buy or not. But never mind, I'm sure we'll get more reviews in time, and this is a good snapshot of the current state of the game.

I'm still waiting for a while before I play it properly. So far only 3 or so hours into it but I have some holiday next week. Personally I think it should have been early access three years ago, but this is what we've got.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Why? No other developer had this treatment. No one looked at Mass Effect: Andromeda and went "the game have several bugs and animation issues, so we'll hold our review".

It's a question of scale. You're mentioning a specific area - I'm talking about the entire world after you leave the super demo area.

From that point on I barely used my Cleric to heal during combat because it was useless - either the monster were so harmless that the damage wasn't deadly and I could just attack OR the monster was so deadly that it killed in one hit, making healing useless - better to attack and be sure I would kill it quickly.

Moreover, unlike Wizardry, these weren't actually powerful monsters we're talking about - many will die with a single melee attack. But they always kill with one hit. Look:

[​IMG]

That's Olaf, a Lv 9 giant berserk you can recruit later in the game. He has a huge HP pool, very high stats and was wearing my best armor. But there wasn't even a damage roll - the attack just killed him instantly. Not a critical, not a special skill - that's the basic attack of Trog Warriors. That's the insta-kill crap I'm talking about, that SEVERAL enemies have.

In Wizardry there's a real sense of progression as you level up, you can go back and faceroll all those encounters that gave you trouble earlier on. That's one of the joys of games with no level scalling. But in Grimoire my party 30hs in was dying to flowers just like my party was after 80hs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Brofist x 32
    • Informative x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Goldfist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    I've played through Wizardry 7 about 6 times during the last 20 years. All that you say is true with one giant proviso - all fights in all areas are always doable and fun on the appropriate level. Meaning even if you run into a mob of superthraxes you can reasonably deal with them with a properly leveled party. And if you wander into an area that's too tough you just go somewhere else. There's always somewhere to go, always something appropriate for your group. Plus you never have to grind, your progress in Wiz7 feels natural. In all of that Sir-Tech nailed the balance beautifully.

Problem is if you can run into a completely mismatched fights even in starter areas in Grimoire. That is absolutely not a thing in Wiz7. You can't run into Godzilly in the Starter Dungeon or in the New City for instance. Seems to me Felipe, Viata and others are saying the encounter tables for most areas are just to large, the range of monsters you can run into too wide so even your party is level 3 and you're in a roughly "level 3 area" you can get monsters appropriate for level 10. Yes, in Wiz 7 you can get relatively weak enemies in generally tough areas but not the other way around.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Darth Roxorgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    lol

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again cvvgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    As for the review, I liked it, very balanced. Most problems Felipe points out have been raised by other people in the main thread, like the problem with limited loot tables or bosses being vulnerable to CC and even instakills, which is not a thing in Wizardry 7, or the OPness of CC spells in general. What's missing is a more explicit mention that Cleve acknowledged all of the discussed problems and promised to fix them asap.

Anyway thanks for the writeup felipepepe.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    BTW, they can throw that spear and impale at range. Before killing Olaf, they killed Miopia, my Aeorb that can't be resurrected by normal magic - even though he was all the way in the back.

11/10 GOTY

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Fowyrgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Review is full of inaccuracies and :retarded: moments.

As others said, RMB works too.

Show her the tablet, damn. She even says that tablets are evil and should be destroyed inside Wicker.

Nope, there is same kind of loot, but better chests produce better spellbooks and reagents and other thingies and stuffies. Some chests have fixed content.

Only they restock. Steal everything or buy - instant restock. Deplete most of the store and wait - restock. I remember Someone restocked just by waiting too.

Save/load, damn. It's a staple of Wizardry.

:retarded:
    It works similar to the machine from Wizardry 5, goddamn! How it could be just a useless thing?

Lol no. Undeads are immune to mesmerizing effects like Charm, for example.

:D
    I killed it with one casting of Cosmic Gate. Scroll with it could be bought in ACME machine upstairs. On the other hand, training Incantation up to 20 to effectively use it was pain in the ass.

I thought as well, but then found that some Vanguard have pole forks and thrown gauches and stilettos are pickable after battle.
    On the other hand, Grimoire's chests are much more densely packed and often than chests of Wiz6/7.

Heu!
    Looks like typical Wizardry for me. :troll: Dunno like some people had 30 level party for Beast of the Thousand Eyes.

Completely :retarded:
    I never ressurected my characters in any Wizardry. Or almost never. Brombadian was a fucking beast.

As others said, it's useful.

• Brofist x 10
    • Informative x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Yes! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    No one does, that's why pursuing it as a priority is such a dumb idea. It's an opinion. One person's "this is grossly imbalanced" is another person's "this is just right".

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    Surprisingly brutal review. :salute:

• Shit Shit x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)