Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
If you actually read the review you would see the reasoning behind it.

You just assume I read up to the XP part and stopped?

Given how level works, he would have to grind for 600 hours to be able to get a Jester class. Guess that's where those 600 hours gameplay comes from.

Weak enemies give "4000xp", pepe needed "200,00xp" to get to level 10 to unlock multiclassing. That's 50 battles. I don't remember the requirements for Jester, but I'm sure it's not far off. Holding enter that would take far less than 600 hours.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Suggested edit, this part was confusing
Supposedly those green stars in the bottom are my chances to make mistake (sic)
Huh?
s/b something like
Supposedly those green stars in the bottom represent the number of mistakes I can make without consequences

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's a daunting process for newcomers and even for veterans at the moment, as the game currently has no manual or tooltips.

Not the best start, and that's why I can't give a detailed breakdown of the character system.

Seriously? The only thing that remained unknown until recently were some of the attributes. Now even that is known: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Attributes

The skills, spells and the differences between all the races and classes are described in-game. Saying there are no tooltips is misleading, since most of the information is there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So you don't consider Grimoire a classic blobbers, right?

Added a *until Grimoire, much obliged.
Although I do believe he finished Wizardry VII.

Searching for "gorror" or "gorrors" from felipepepe received no results so I'm guessing you may be mistaken on this. Incidentally

Mid-late 30s. Tried taking on the Gorrors, but if the Beast with a Thousand Eyes and the Fiend of Nine Worlds are even possible without being level 100/everyone having ninjutsu, I can't see it :(

Too bad we won't be getting the Jimbob assessment of Grimoire since he's now a full-fledged goon and that forum has absolutely no interest in discussing a game made by such a racist, sexist thal.

Viata

Arcane
Weak enemies give "4000xp", pepe needed "200,00xp" to get to level 10 to unlock multiclassing. That's 50 battles. I don't remember the requirements for Jester, but I'm sure it's not far off. Holding enter that would take far less than 600 hours.
200,00xp to THAT level. Then it goes to god knows how millions exp. Also, I think only to the pirate class you can change that easily. Jester would still take a lot more time to get it. It's also not like EVERY weak enemies gives "4000xp", it's a random encounter, you'd need that every random fight was against them, not against any other that gives you like 100xp.

Given how level works, he would have to grind for 600 hours to be able to get a Jester class. Guess that's where those 600 hours gameplay comes from.

Cleve already said leveling will be adjusted. People used to get to Level 27 at the end.
Sure. But his point was in the version Felipe was, which leveling wasn't adjusted yet, so my point in the current version is still valid.

Viata

Arcane
So you don't consider Grimoire a classic blobbers, right?

Added a *until Grimoire, much obliged.
Although I do believe he finished Wizardry VII.

Searching for "gorror" or "gorrors" from felipepepe received no results so I'm guessing you may be mistaken on this. Incidentally
As if he couldn't finish the game before rpgcodex existed. I still don't understand why you are so fixed in this, if I'm not mistaken you don't even like blobbers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Viata

Arcane
I was thinking in point things wrong and right in that review, but then, why would I do that? Roguey's post already did that. There is also the Cleve's defensive force to do that. It's better to just say that despise those flaws, the game is still amazing. :hero:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Dunno what the rage about the review is for oh wait, it's codex pretty clear he enjoyed most of the time he played. People have an ironically short memory considering this game was a joke meme, the fact that it actually came out and was playable (eventually) is a minor miracle imo.

Only thing that confused me was that he was save scumming to avoid random encounters, but not when he has party members dying (to avoid constitution drop)?
Anyway, gud review.

Covenant

Savant
A well-written review. Simultaneously both damning and glowing; from someone who hasn't played Grimoire at all, it makes the game world sound absolutely fascinating, with puzzles and secrets that could get even an amateur dungeon delver - someone with just a few fond memories of Eye of the Beholder, say - to start salivating at the thought of them. But the balance sounds undeniably fucked not up to snuff. Felipepepe points to specific issues rather than couching his criticisms in vagueness, and doesn't fall back on easy shots at Cleve or his behaviour to round off any half-formed arguments. He makes points that are easily refutable if they are not true, and if they are true, his insistence that they need to be addressed brooks no argument.

One thing I will say is that I would have appreciated more context. As I've no doubt some of Cleve's more ardent supporters will already be saying, many of the problems pointed out here also existed in some of our favourite games, Grimoire's 'spiritual predecessor' Wizardry VII included. The review would have been improved by Felipepepe comparing and contrasting Grimoire's issues to those we remember from the classics, and demonstrating why Grimoire's balancing problems are more (or less, if that is the case) harmful or insurmountable than those in Dark Savant or other games.

As someone to whom balance is perhaps the most important factor in this kind of game, this was a very helpful review, even if it does push me toward the rather grim conclusion that it might be better to forego V2 entirely and wait for V3 - even if that is another 20 years in the making. But despite that, after having read this review, I'm actually more excited about that moment when I finally do get to play it than I had been previously. Thanks for the review.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
.. and the sun rose the following morning.

So, turning off random encounters and turning the difficulty to tourist mode, it still took 80 hours to finish. That's pretty huge.

felipepepe How many optional quests do you feel you left unfinished? Thanks for the review.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There is also the Cleve's defensive force to do that. It's better to just say that despise those flaws, the game is still amazing. :hero:

As an apparently official member of Cleve's defensive force, let me say that I completely agree with you. I think the only thing we disagree on is whether the game should have been Early Access or not.

zeitgeist

Magister
Without going into the reviewer's apparent unfamiliarity with the genre and other professional flaws that some other posters already pointed out, I'm a bit surprised at Codex officially publishing a review by someone who had such a silly "you'll never work in this town again" tantrum, and practically announced their intentions to bury the game due to a personal quarrel with the developer.

I would normally suggest at least an objective disclaimer about the nature of their relationship, but the staff member who posted the review has already grossly misrepresented the incident in question in the intro paragraph, so it doesn't seem like there's much to expect on that front.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the only thing we disagree on is whether the game should have been Early Access or not.
Yet, even thinking that I still recommend the game to anyone that asks about it. :kfc:

Same here. Balance or no balance, bugs or no bugs, this is still so fucking great. Much like what the review said my first 15-20 hours were one of my best RPG experiences ever. That's why when issues appeared I stopped right there, there's no way I'll spoil this for me. I'd rather wait 20 years if that's what it takes.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really got to me after a while.

NA6G7nb.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Without going into the reviewer's apparent unfamiliarity with the genre and other professional flaws that some other posters already pointed out, I'm a bit surprised at Codex officially publishing a review by someone who had such a silly "you'll never work in this town again" tantrum, and practically announced their intentions to bury the game due to a personal quarrel with the developer.

I would normally suggest at least an objective disclaimer about the nature of their relationship, but the staff member who posted the review has already grossly misrepresented the incident in question in the intro paragraph, so it doesn't seem like there's much to expect on that front.

That would just have made Infinitron jizz in his pants with anticipation for posting it

Bakunin

Novice
A review of Grimoire on the codex? I'm afraid I only turn to this website for its retrospective re-reviews; let me know when one is available. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom