Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: ELEX!

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 9, 2017.

1. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Despite some questionable and clunky design the game remains alluring until the very end. Elex is truly an extremely addictive shit game. :D

Thanks for the review, Darth Roxor.

:bro:

Elex potions do actually raise your cold value. I think it was something like 0.1 cold per large Elex drink.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    I know and that's my point. They raise cold, but cold doesn't have any real gameplay impact.

^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Oh dear, looking at the journal entry comparisons, I only now notice that the quest title is b0rked as well. While "Hauptgang" can certainly mean "main entrance", I would assume in this particular cannibalism-related quest it would rather refer to a "main course"...

hory shit dis translato

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Maxie Magister

Maxie
    Parrots:
    Now that you had your fun and all get back to divos2 hamster-kun

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    donate to my patreon

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. imweasel Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Not really. "Hauptgang" can mean "main course" (in the context of eating a meal) or "main corridor". "Haupteingang" = "main entrance".

Anyway, the translation is indeed pretty borked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    How is Polish translation though? I remember even Gothic had pretty disappointing English translation, but Polish was great, which is usually the case with German and Russian games.

^ Top  
  8. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    Very interesting review.
    OK, so I gather that combat is OK enough to be interesting, and exploring is very addictive. I didn't quite get if level progression feels satisfying, but I guess that's because this game needs better documentation badly.

My question is: Does Elex keep one's interest after the first playthrough? In other words, will it make me want to come back for more if I appreciate its good aspects?

^ Top  
  9. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Pretty good review!

I don't agree with the English translation. It's in some ways better written than the original, especially in the beginning. Other parts are weaker (too soft). All in all it's a mixed bag for both versions and mixing both together would be the best outcome. Well, at least there is a reason to play the game a second time (which I rarely do with games).
    The English voice actors aren't bad. They are routinely good. The problem is that most voices don't fit the chars ingame. The German voice actors are a better fit there.

I absolutely enjoy the game despite its weaknesses (which are perfectly described by Darth Roxor ) and it's easily one of the best games I played in years! Overall, A patch IS badly needed to balance the game, tweak some stats and include a good descrition in the game how the stats and everyting works. Unfortunately PB is always very hesitant to fix gameplay issues which aren't heavy bugs. I hope they go the extra mile here. It would really pay of for the game and I think for PB, too. Right now it's a diamond in rough. Properly balanced and game mechanics explained I'm sure the game could become a classic.

^ Top  
  10. Brancaleone Learned

Brancaleone
    Parrots:
    Boy, I love meself some ratty review.

Hard but fair, as always. Well done.

^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Hm, would say no. I originally intended to restart the gaem and play for like 20h with another faction and weapon set, but the first playthrough has left me exhausted. Maybe I've just overdosed the ELEX though.

It does.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    Darth Roxor is Codex Review Squad MVP, goo djob on the review.

No surprise that ELEX is fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Serious question here. Why doesn't the Codex start up a Youtube channel to drown out shite like IGN?

The whole scene is in dire fucking need of a kick up the shitbox, and who better to drive that hate-fueled rebellion than the twisted beings of the Codex?

The mainstream needs raping hard like a slag with no morals, so she comes to destest what pleasured her before so much that her new found truth is filled only with purity and quality such as Elex.

Burn the fuckers to the ground with extreme prejudice.

• WTF am I reading x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ELEX!

• Yes Yes x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Parrots:
    If you want it done why don't you do it?

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Sadly, I'm a technospaz. In truth I'd thrive on doing one, but wouldn't know where to start. I will be getting an upgraded PC after Xmas, so at least that may help. We'll see.

I'd also like the key aim to be to have a collective of like-minded folk pool talents & work as a team, with the ultimate goal being to smash the AAA scene in the nackers, bring some truth to the masses, help fight the cause of the indie devs & firms such as PB & Spiders, and generally kick some fucking dust up for the more Codexian POV on games.

I've just got to a point where I'm so sick of seeing fucktards rape a hobby I thrive on with Ass Creeds, "Open World" wank done badly, RPG's with no roleplaying etc. Be nice to see a fightback from somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Well, I immediately understand what Attack Power doing just by the picture of perk, and a fact that it doesn't rise damage. At least.

^ Top  
  18. Elex Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    gothic with jetpack and flamethrower.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Elex Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    other moster drop wings

^ Top  
  20. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Parrots:
    All other translations are based on English version.
    Just look at this shit.
    here is proper potato translation
    Show Spoiler
    [Dlaczego akurat Klerycy?]
    [Są prawdziwymi hipokrytami Magalanu]
    [Ich największym atutem jest infiltracja. Działają za twoimi plecami i zabiją cię zanim TY zareagujesz]
    [Deklarują swoją fałszywą wiarę i zachowują się jak tyrani]
    [Są znacznie niebezpieczniejsi niż Alby]

With this translation Logan sounds like confused in his conspiracy theories madman or edgy teen.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Elex Educated

Elex
    Parrots:
    look!

Show Spoiler

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hard to drown out low quality, since quality takes time.

At least one codexer has a youtube channel though (Ludo Lense) and it is quite good.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Zactly!

Most reviewers, especially IGN & Gamespot etc., don't actually know how to review. They judge on individual aspects of games, and pay little attention to the whole package, and most importantly how is translates both emotionally and as an overall experience.

Kudos for Pat of Kotaku for attempting to address that. But even then she does break down specifics and seems to feel the need to label things into the conventionl brackets which people expect. But that's neither here nor there, at least someone actually gets what it's about.

^ Top  
  24. Zerth Learned

Zerth
    Parrots:
    No, I didn't start the game but after the second week. I drank less than a hundred Elex potions, so I assume the few emotional choices I picked kept me within the neutral threshold; until I started to progress through chapters, where I was systematically taking cold dialogue choices. Jax then reached unenthusiastic state and I noticed companions reacted to it, But nothing else besides unlocking the synth passive ability and some cold dialogue options.

^ Top  
  25. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :creamyblood::creamyblood:

why the fuck didn't they translate the German version?!

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)