Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Dungeon Rats

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Iluvcheezcakegender: ⚧ Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Bought the game, played it both solo & cha 10 group. Knew from the start what to expect, and was even pleasantly suprised. Really liked it.
    As someone mentioned before, shame there wasnt more time to flesh out the mine and the recruitable npcs.

This false advertising shit is blown way out of proportion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Morkargender: ⚧ illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    OMG No Man Sky all over again!!!!!!!

Dungeon Crawler is just misleading. It's a mini squad tactics game with rpg elements similar or directly comparable to Blackguards 1.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Invictusgender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Got this for ny nephew alongside AoD during the GOG Winter sale... should I give him first DR to help him learn the combat system or just let him go for AoD?

^ Top  
  4. Whispergender: ⚧ Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    Blackguards 1 was great game despite being German rpg (this are weird).

• meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Give him AoD first, the changes made in DR's combat are not in AoD.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Yes, and it's still full of crap.

Also, thanks for posting it to prove that you're indeed saying AoD plays like a roguelike... because you die often. Much like dungeon crawler is anything with dungeons, amirite? :lol:

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sophgender: ⚧ Educated

Soph
    Parrots:
    Zelda is a great dungeon crawler series.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MFgender: ⚧ Arcane

MF
    Parrots:
    I'll chip in my two cents here :

When I said I usually didn't like dungeon crawlers, but I liked Dungeon Rats, I was fully aware of what a dungeon crawler usually is.

In P&P gaming, a dungeon crawl is a campaign that leaves out epic scope and narration to focus on hack & slash gameplay and simplicity by sticking mostly to the combat rules and dicerolls. People who are not into roleplaying, but way into board games usually like this style of play more because they don't have to inhabit a character as much. It's also easier for a Dungeon Master to organize. Translated to CRPG's, that has sadly mostly meant a whole lot of trash combat. Dungeon Rats has (almost) no trash combat, but in my view, it's still very much a dungeon crawler. There is no labyrinth to speak of, but most early dungeon crawl campaigns weren't very maze-like to begin with. In that sense, it's a lot like Heroquest, which is an early attempt by the wargamers at Games Workshop to streamline D&D combat and the only D&D-lite that I've been able to get my boardgame group into.

It is quite the oppoiste of a roguelike with its complete lack of randomness in environment and encounter design, though. That's a bad comparison by VD, even though he's right about the 'die, try again' mechanism being similar if we're talking about AoD.

Food for thought: DR is what Fallout Tactics should have been like.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vault Dwellergender: ⚧ Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Yes, I was talking about AoD there (and for the record I've never said it plays like a roguelike). Sure, randomness plays a role there but the central design element that makes roguelikes different from any other RPG is that dying is very easy (whereas in many RPGs is practically impossible) and you need to know what you're doing or you'll be dead in no time. Roguelikes punish cluelessness like there's no tomorrow and reward experience. A new player has zero chance to beat a good roguelike on his first attempt simply because he doesn't know how things work yet. Etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. FUDUgender: ⚧ Cipher

FUDU
    Parrots:
    More catastrophic reading comprehension failures on the Codex.

News at 11:00.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MFgender: ⚧ Arcane

MF
    Parrots:
    Rogue's primary design focus was procedurally generated content. Permadeath was a way of ensuring replay so that this programming exercise actually had a point. In terms of gameplay dying and retrying may have a more prevalent impact than the randomness and one could argue that they go hand in hand.

I completely agree that the way you punish cluelessness is similar and I applaud you for it, but it's still a bad comparison, precisely because AoD has a compelling narrative that is partially reiterated each try unless you go by a completely different branch, which is not what a player would do in a roguelike. Playing AoD like you would a roguelike would be very tedious, at least for me. Which is why I've had a blast finishing it five times but never tried Ironman.

I realize you never said it plays like one, so I won't argue the point further.

Anyway, this thread is about Dungeon Rats. Great game, and as far as I'm concerned it's a dungeon crawler of the hack & slash variety. Roxor is just arguing semantics for the sake of it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jim The Dinosaur IIgender: ⚧ Learned

Jim The Dinosaur II
    Parrots:
    I think VD's point is that comparing AoD to roguelikes is as valid as comparing it to classic crpg's because it's meant as a uniting of both designs.

Classic crpg's offered plenty of choices to the player but without the realistic possibility of failure resulting from the wrong decision, thus they offered choices without consequences.

Roguelikes offered few choices how to handle a situation beyond violence, but the wrong decision was punished, thus they offered consequences without choices.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kev Inklinegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kev Inkline
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Romances, duh.

^ Top  
  14. Zanzokengender: ⚧ Savant

Zanzoken
    Parrots:
    Roxana is quite bangable actually

• Agree Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Eyestabbergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    And I bet she also fucks like crazy. I mean...

[​IMG]

Notice all the scars? It's pretty clear that she is into hardcore BDSM.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Drog Black Toothgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    lol is that a nude patch

those boobs look like something from a 90s nude mod for tomb raider

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Sounds like you said that, to me. Or are we going to flip-flop over the definition of "very similar"?

Also:

Give me a fucking break. You have teleporting because you didn't have the resources to fill the game world with actual stuff.
    Yes, yes, I know, according to you all RPGs that don't teleport you from quest to quest are wasting your time because everything else is filler (please find that quote of yours regarding this, too), but we already settled that the way you classify games is a bit outlandish.

• retadred retadred x 8
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah, that shit's default.

^ Top  
  19. Cadmusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    I didn't know FeelTheRads was completely retarded O.o

^ Top  
  20. FUDUgender: ⚧ Cipher

FUDU
    Parrots:

Yes, yes he is.

Fortunately, the radiation has made him sterile.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)