Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Dungeon Rats

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 7, 2016.

1. vivec Savant

vivec
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    RPG Codex - We debate the nature of words concerning games.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Citation Needed Citation Needed x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    someone give this guy a safe space tag

but it's okay, i understand

i take it you Typically Don't Like Dungeon Crawlers But Dungeon Rats Is Very Cool (tm)

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    I didn't really mean to say that simplistic=dungeon crawler. I really only meant to say it's a simple little game where you literally crawl through a dungeon, has a party TB combat with RPG systems to it, therefore I surmised that it could be called a simple dungeon crawler. Now, I fully concede that I have played maybe 2-4 games that are officially recognized as dungeon crawlers, maybe less, I really don't remember, so if you can tell me what are the important features missing from this formula so that it ceases to be a dungeon crawler and becomes a tactical RPG combat crawl or whatever the fuck you want to call it, go ahead, I'm happy to learn.

However I think this will end like "what is an RPG"-lite.

Saying anything to the effect that VD might be (even unintentionally) falsely advertising the game is retarded as shit though. I and I think almost everybody else here, knew exactly what we were getting. My only disappointment comes from the fact that VD didn't lie...there really was no social element to the game like AoD - I also hoped he might surprise us a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Not with a 10-month development schedule while in pre-production for the CSG.

We delivered exactly what we promised and priced it accordingly.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    I know that now and I knew that perfectly well back when I bought the game, but a girl can dream...

^ Top  
  6. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    Parrots:
    When is update is planned? I am waiting so i can test new builds (which are impossible atm).

^ Top  
  7. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    well you need a dungeon first. I'm not trying to be "funny" or to "flame" you, Cadmus, i'm being 100% serious.

non-linear maps are not equivalent to what a "dungeon" is in a dungeon crawler. I'm not smart enough to type this explanation right now in a concise way so I'll try to use a short list, as I always tend to:

- a dungeon crawler RPG's "dungeon(s)" do not, and never have been required to be actual dungeons.
    - an RPG map (or level, or whatever term you wish) that features multiple paths that complete its flowchart is not equivalent to what an atypical "dungeon floor" in a 'crawler.
    - combat, whether it be real-time or turn-based and regardless of its complexity (ranks, ranges, etc), is an element that is part and parcel of the "RPG template" as a whole, and is not something unique to a 'crawler RPG; therefore combat is not an essential ingredient of a 'crawler it is merely one of an RPG and that is, of course, also very much arguable.

i think the best I can do right now without gathering my thoughts further is to simply state that a non-linear floor map is not equivalent to a 'crawler dungeon floor simply because:

- a 'crawler's greatest expectation of quality lies in the game's ability to so immerse the player's avatar(s) inside a many-layered and inter-connected "entity" (i.e. the total bio-map of the dungeon) so as to suspend the player's disbelief and thus ensure that they are playing through the dungeon, against the dungeon and eventually with the dungeon even though all of the other meta-elements of the game itself are (usually) "stripped down", "bare-bones", and other statements.

Another point of contention lies in modern parlance within RPGs and accurate ones, and for this example I'll use "resource management":

- managing mushrooms, while most certainly qualifies as resource management, is not in any way, shape or form somehow distinct as a gameplay element than having to manage spell castings, managing character hit points and other such things. "Modern" rpg gamers don't usually think about this sort of thing.

EDIT: since I don't really have anything well thought out to end this post with i'll simply sum it up with the statement that fighting through a long corridor that branches 5 ways, with 3 of those being dead ends and 2 leading to seperate parts of the this hypothetical corridor's flowchart , all the while battling monsters and building up your party in whatever way the game allows you to do so and also picking up rare items and mundane ones and managing their use can describe both:

- a final fantasy game
    - wizardry
    - dungeon rats
    - one of the party-based diablo games
    - one of the many party-based Zelda games

etc. You get my (badly typed/worded) point I'm trying to make? reducing a game's main way of presenting the player with its gameplay systems to broadstrokes, like above, completely eliminates any depth to discussing this sort of thing.

to me, and to many others, the type of way DR plays out is much more similar to an SRPG than to anything resembling a dungeon crawl. Some argue that since both sub-genres (generally) have a concentration in nominally complex battle and/or party-building mechanics then thus both "share commonality".

I'm positing that no, such type of reasoning is deeply flawed.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, furthermore, that I think the "real reason (TM)" that any of this bullshit has even taken hold of this thread is simply because there is a deep, desperate lack of atypical dungeon crawlers of worth coming out and this has been the case for many, many years.

any mention of the word "dungeon" will bring out the thirsty fucks (like me) out of the woodwork. I would love a real dungeon crawler from ITS but i never expected nor do i ever expect ITS to make one since they have never, ever given anyone any reason to think their interests lie towards such things.

and from a personal perspective, considering VD's description of Daggerfall's woefully bad dungeoneering (perfect example of quanity over any sort of quality) as some sort of prime example of the dungeon crawler genre then I 100% am happy that they never make one, but that is purely a personal viewpoint as I know a very large portion of the Codex enjoys Daggerfall and considers it a great RPG.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    Yes, I get it. It sounds reasonable to me.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I would've thought that Dungeon Rats would be the perfect game for Darth Roxor, since he doesn't enjoy games that require the player to walk around or do things. :troll:

In any case, it's clear that this game is a "combat crawler" and not a dungeon crawler, because there aren't any proper dungeons. I now have a handy post to refer back to whenever the topic of dungeons arises:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I can understand being disappointed that the game isn't a complex dungeon crawler (I know I was) but going all the way into accusation of deceptiveness is a bit much IMO. VD has slightly idiosyncratic definitions of CRPG sub-genres (arguing with him about what makes an action-RPG was bizarre) but once you understand those then the game is exactly as advertised. I still think Roxor did well in pointing this out, especially since it's easy to just read "dungeon crawler" and not see the details, but if you do read the details VD was pretty forthcoming about what he means by dungeon crawler, and while it may not match the general definition (certainly doesn't match mine) it does match the game. Actually I find it funny that the game's description matches VD's definition of action-RPG from a few years ago :D

Anyway the review is spot on, and while I don't think the game is anything great it is a fun "combat RPG", and the price point is exactly right. Anyone still on the fence should ignore the whole dungeon crawler thing (in a way I think that's what Roxor was trying to say in the review; just ignore those expectations when deciding if you want to play the game) and make up their mind based on the rest of the review.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. FUDU Arbiter

FUDU
    Parrots:

Jesus Christ.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I thought I said that Daggerfall is NOT a dungeon crawler despite having tons of dungeons.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. zool Savant

zool
    Parrots:
    Lots of drama going on here around a 10$ game. The game wasn't falsely advertised, except maybe for people who find it too hard to read five fucking bullet points.

My only regret (and not complaint as I wrote earlier) with the game is that with a couple of hours of additional work on companions (i.e adding some life to the different companions you can recruit) and a slightly better level design, the game could have been a fully combat-based game where you try to escape from prison with the help of memorable companions instead of it simply being a combat game where you can recruit some lifeless meatshields to help you.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    From the pre-release information about Dungeon Rats posted on the Codex, and from my playing of Age of Decadence, I expected Dungeon Rats to be exactly what it turned out to be: a squad-based tactics game with character customization/progression, often referred to as SRPGs.

The phrase "dungeon crawler" is less than useful as a concept to define RPG subgenres as it includes games from a number of distinct subgenres with differing mechanics even limiting the meaning of "dungeon crawlers" to include only games with substantial exploration, and without that limitation means nothing more than any game focused on dungeons. Anyone who had played Age of Decadence or paid attention to the pre-release information posted on the Codex would have known that exploration would be virtually absent from Dungeon Rats.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    Parrots:
    9 bucks price point = if I find anything I like I'm cool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Trumpenreich Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    Well, I am kind of shocked this is out already. I thought we would be in for another 10 years of waiting and drama. Good job guys, the game sounds great (more my cup of tea than the last one) and the review is one of the best codex reviews that's been written as well (though some are not that great to be honest).

I can't wait to give this a shot sometime when I have a good chunk of free time.

^ Top  
  17. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Zed Duke of Banville

But even "exploration" is very much open to interpretation, as for example: to someone like Roqua clearing a dungeon floor in a Wizardry game does not constitute "RPG exploration", while it is obviously very much so RPG exploration.

Some people think story constitutes dialog, and that exploration constitutes visiting different locales and other such notions that have absolutely nothing to do with RPG gameplay mechanics and are things present (or not present) in any game.

So, there is theoretically an amount of people who did not immediately assume Dungeon Rats would not feature much "exploration", as for them visiting copy/paste locations and talking to wiki-dumps does qualify as exploration, just as much as clearing a floor and making progress within a dungeon.

(A hypothetical example as DR does not feature dungeon "floors" to clear and AoD does not feature copy/paste anything).

My god even I'm tired of discussing such minutiae: trying to pigeon-hole what makes or breaks an RPG is fucking exhausting.

^ Top  
  18. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY NOW. YOU'VE BROKEN AWEIGH!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Parrots:
    New account, who dis?

^ Top  
  20. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Bubbles.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    That's putting it mildly.

At some point he was trying to sell AoD as a rogue-like.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Citation Needed Citation Needed x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    The exact quote:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ou-think-about-aod.73356/page-12#post-2150188

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    CNN:
    "Vault Dweller Literally Says: Age of Decadence is the best Dungeon Crawler Rogue-Like Ever Made"

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TigerKnee Prophet

TigerKnee
    Parrots:
    I agree with most of the points stated in the review.

The Tower of Doom comparison is just a strange non-sequiter though. Hell, ignoring the fact that it's a Beat-Em-Up, I think ToD probably has more actual path branches in the mid game.

Whether intentional or not, DR ends up being more similar to "Japanese SRPGs" in terms of structure, notably Shining Force 1 and 2 with how it does very minor exploration elements in between the chain of combats.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Carnarium Literate

Carnarium
    Parrots:
    Cool I guess but where the hell is Final Fantasy 15 review?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)