Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Delterius

Arcane
How many publications are giving GOTYs, exactly? And how many times should I multiply that the kinds of GOTYs they are presenting? Genres, platform exclusivity, etc. In this environment, I'd think its hard for Inquisition not to win any sort of bragging rights reward.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I predict that in few more years DAO will be listed among the "classics". Maybe in 2024 DAI will be labelled by a newfag as a "Bioware classic" when they wonder what happened with Mass Dragon Fuckfest LXIV.

I’m a newfag and the top 6 of RPG Codex Top 70 cRPGs list are my favorite games of all time. Overall, KOTOR is a mediocre causal game. Relatively to DA:I, tough, it looks like a classic. Some oldfags are also saying that DA2 combat is good in comparison with DA:I. This only shows how awful the game is. Every bad game that you can recall sounds good in comparison.

kris

Arcane
Wait a minute, Delterius - did you play the whole game in that godawful plastic hair mode? 1 2
I mean, I'm not really a gfx whore, but jesus christ.

No. That was me, I even grew to like it, as in a post-humorous way. A few of the screenshots was mine, as like some of the things in the text. Mostly remember the "game of letters" comment I really wanted in.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
gah, I had completely forgotten this shit existed. why must you remind me of 100 hours of my life vaporized with this cynical cash grab? how can you even have a HIGH BUDGET cynical cash grab? that shouldn't be a thing, but Bioware has pushed the limits. I have never felt so...Codexian about a piece of media before. I want my century of hours back. fuck.

I don't understand how you can assign Inquisition an "out of ten" score, since by the time any sane person finishes it they'll've realized it has no substance of any kind, that it's just a series of things that happen and a combat system that had maybe thirty minutes' longevity to it stretched out agonizingly over the fleshless skeleton of its "plot" in which nothing happens and its "exploration areas" in which there's nothing to discover but more. fucking. bars. to fill.

I've played many, many MMOs much better than Inquisition, even on the "run around a field and kill zombies" level.

Delterius

Arcane
Wait a minute, Delterius - did you play the whole game in that godawful plastic hair mode? 1 2
I mean, I'm not really a gfx whore, but jesus christ.

No. That was me, I even grew to like it, as in a post-humorous way. A few of the screenshots was mine, as like some of the things in the text. Mostly remember the "game of letters" comment I really wanted in.
That explains it, I even told you how to disable the platic hair mode.
Somebody quoted Delterius on Metacritic. :)

BenDee:
These final thoughts from a reviewer I've never read before summed it up for me.
Delterius: What more can be said? [...] It just isn't fun.
(Copied from http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9752)
First, metacritic user reviews and soon the world! I'll become the "Roger Ebert" of gaming critique.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
First, metacritic user reviews and soon the world! I'll become the "Roger Ebert" of gaming critique.
At the Codex, we are usually closer to another critic:

Pqtf8fh.jpg

Last edited:

Mieron

Novice
The good bits of this game are really good. Unfortunately, they're stuck under a pile of repetitive fights and boring exploration and gathering. Unlike say Mass Effect 3, where I could barely be made to care through the game at all, beyond one or two scenes, this put some effort into its main content. But good luck getting a hold of it.

turul

Augur
Even with those biases you had a better candidate: Shadow of Mordor, which unlike DA:I manages to be a well-executed ripoff. It did get some GOTYs, though.

DA:I is a well executed Skyrim ripoff. It's well executed - in a sense, that nobody minds, that they are playing a ripoff, even if it's inferior to 5 year old game (made by a 10 year old tech).

No cake for Bethesda, but it takes a serious effort to make a game worse, than Oblivion. Yep I said it, DA:I is worse than Oblivion in many ways, but since it's Bioware, the GOTY goes for them.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I hope everybody here understands that that review is a troll.

Weasel
Quick search to see if anyone was butthurt at the review and found a "slightly more fun than vacuum cleaning" thread on the Bioware forums :cool:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/544827-slightly-more-fun-than-vacuum-cleaning/

Amusing site. Now I know that "storyfag" is a word.

....One would think that a person who makes a screencaps for a game review on a big site is supposed use a decent PC and\or something other than 'low' for meshes\textures settings.
Because that plastic lego-hair, you, know...

:M

Anyway I don't actually disagree with most of the meat of the review but the tone was terrible. I don't think they could have done a video review if they wanted to what with it being impossible to sneer that hard and talk simultaneously.

Also did they intentionally turn down graphics to make the game look worse? Normally I wouldn't suspect something like that but their example picture of "the entire leveling screen" was zoomed in so close that it made it look like you hadthree total leveling options so that was pretty obvious poor form. Also the habit of making every petty dig or unflattering comparison to other games that they could.

What sad angry little men. I'll have to read more of their stuff now that I'm aware they exist. Should be a hoot.

:hero:

Actually interesting to see a few people on there agreeing with the review. And some tard insisting that the Codex 'hates PST and loves IWD'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pfft, what a shit thread. There's like one or two posts addressing the actual review?

Delterius

Arcane
....One would think that a person who makes a screencaps for a game review on a big site is supposed use a decent PC and\or something other than 'low' for meshes\textures settings.

Oh my God.
WE ARE A BIG SITE!

Unfortunate really, I enjoy people whining about the site's reputation but I kinda hoped for more direct feedback. I guess its because I mostly insulted actual game mechanics, as opposed to characters and plot points.

Delterius

Arcane
Amusing site. Now I know that "storyfag" is a word.

What's the context on that? It was a Bethesda fan wasn't it?

:lol:

I like the guy that think here we only like combat oriented games and hate Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment.

This is, perhaps, the most amazing aspect to witness about forums like the BSN. As a group they tend to be quite close minded - what are these forums other than company created medium in which like minded fanboys might gather? - any deviations generally happen either because A) there was a fanbase breaker in the near past (DmC/Morrowind and Oblivion/Dragon Age II) or B) The sheer size of the community.

By comparison, the Codex is a haven of open mindedness. We have many times fewer members and despite everyone in here being an asshole to one another, we do have a very diverse taste. Some like story driven games; others combat focused; exploration focused; japanese RPGs; european RPGs and even popamole action games.

This is easily verified in how diverse our top RPGs list can be. A simple truth which is hard to grasp for members of fan driven cults because we eventually tend to be very critical of whatever they worship. To be fair, it is especially hard for the BSN'er to figure this out since one of the few things which unite all the warring factions of Codexia is an irrational distaste for all things modern biowarish.

Still, I dare any of you logging into that forum and debating those people. pls.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Oh my God.
WE ARE A BIG SITE!

Unfortunate really, I enjoy people whining about the site's reputation but I kinda hoped for more direct feedback. I guess its because I mostly insulted actual game mechanics, as opposed to characters and plot points.
Ayup, prestigious magazine, folks.

Septaryeth

Augur
were you honestly expecting much from BSN users

It's pathetic that not even one actually try to at least dissect or argue against the point they disagree with.
Instead they try to bash the reviewers and sites in general to feel automatically superior.

"Nope, taste, it's all about taste, RPGcodex biased about their taste but how and why I disagree with them do not matter."
"As long as they are biased in [insert social values and gaming genres] I can live with myself even knowing I can't write an argument half as good as the review"

I know a not-too-small Asian gaming forum that favors DAI, maybe there will be more constructive arguments over there...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom