Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 6, 2018.

1. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    What IS Larian doing now, do they plan to announce some expansion pack soon?

^ Top  
  2. Sacred82 Liturgist Possibly Retarded

Sacred82
    Parrots:
    Swen has said there's "definitely something coming up" for the game, and he said that in addition to patches.

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I don't, it's not one or the other, black or white. I agree that it'd be better to back up his comments about the writing and give a bit more substance.

Given DOS2's sales, I'd have to assume that something is on the horizon.

^ Top  
  4. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    Currently playing DOS:EE for the first time and it is much better and much bigger than I expected. Sort of Pillars meets MMX, which I both enjoyed.

A Darth Roxor review doesn't mean the game is bad. It's just a Codex tradition by now.

• Agree x 7
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Parrots:
    :notsureifserious:

Haven't read the whole thing but it's definitely overly critical. Is this supposed to be some kind of parody review? Might be worthy of a second review. Maybe you thought it would be funny to dump over the game of the year (2017)?

• Disagree x 3
    • rolleyes x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • what? x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    this review is incomplete. Dariusz must suffer and read ending slides.
    Not because he will have to complete the game, but because how bad they are. At least watch youtube or something

Surfaces seem to be glorified while its huge decline from Dos1. In Dos2 cursed fire is common and rule over everything.

While its not clear from description, some 5% is additive(like ranged, melee ones) and others are multpliers, like ranged or warfare. As such ranged skill is one of the worst choices to bloat your dmg numbers.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Achiman Arbiter Patron

Achiman
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    The ability which was the best (worst?) out of this pool is surely lucky charm or w/e it was called. with this pumped up you can open a pile of goop, random barrels or anything really and find epic random gear for a constant stream of either upgrades or cash throughout the game.

A MUST for any spell orientated character, my dude (Fane guy) had about 30 skills by the end of the game and imo this was a definite improvement over the 1 or two schools you could bother with (from memory) in Div OS.

Hard to argue with the critisims of the force-field combat, when enemies start charming you (seemed a lot less than in the first game) or you start charming them is the only way to avoid the 'magic frost armor/stone skin' immunity cycle.

In the last town Arx, you start getting some unique gear which is worthwhile, but yeah, early game & mid game the gear is forgettable.

While it is silly that they went with the nonplussed NPCs not caring that there is a homicidal maniac amongst them, it's good that they doubled down on it
    Show Spoiler
    During the ascension fight where you have to race to the alter to ascend and become divine I actually killed my entire party (because I thought I needed to and they would be rezzed after a cut scene or something). Because I wasn't paying much attention to when the game was overwriting the autosaves and attempting the next scene (boss) I lost that save before the ascension fight and my manual save was miles back. The net effect was that I had to solo my patron god and enter the last act of the game with no companions (or money to hire them). It impressed me that the game allowed me to fuck myself so badly and kill off it's 'flavour' characters.

Good review overall, I do think that there was some MUCH more memorable late game fights (The DR especially) than in the first though, which you would have seen if you didn't bitch out after 40 hours
    :troll:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. KateMicucci Educated

KateMicucci
    Parrots:
    You have fewer AP in DOS2 but actions also cost less. If you felt like your guys could do more in DOS1, that was because you were playing lone wolves.

There's nothing more bland and boring than describing something as bland and boring.

That's a DOS1 problem, not a DOS2 problem.

DOS1 was 4 characters too unless you already knew that the game played better with 2 lone wolves.

Playing DOS 2 with 4 is better than DOS 1 with 4. You only have one "real" PC.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Valky Liturgist Manlet

Valky
    Parrots:
    This review reads like it was written just for me. It says everything I feared and saw in the game after the mass of decline in EE and the shilling for casual multiplayer faggotry that was rampant throughout the marketing for D:OS2. I will say it again, D:OS was a great game and one of the highlights of 2014 for me. Unfortunately, Larian let the popularity get to their heads, leading to the decline of EE and 2. I think I'm going to accept now that there will be no upgrade to Original Sin like I had hoped for since I finished the game 4 years ago, and reinstall Original Sin because a diamond in the rough is the best I can hope for.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Atlantico Erudite Patron

Atlantico
    Parrots:
    I've never been one to like Belgians.

Not their "chocolate" (with apologies to actual chocolate), not their politics, ethics or RPGs.

Not one of the Divinity games has entertained or impressed. Boring, mediocre, forgettable.

DOS2 is the only one I never tried, and thanks to brother Roxor, I won't have to.

Excellent review, 10/10 would read again.

edit: Their waffles are nothing to talk about either, forgettable like Larian games.:russiastronk:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Racist x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Urthor Learned Patron

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The environmental bits are still there the issue is they are gated behind armor. Once the armor is down it's like Divinity 1, the issue is the part where grinding the armor down is applying the same rote formula of anti armor abilities

^ Top  
  12. Mebrilia Learned

Mebrilia
    Parrots:
    I agree on the armor part... the rest is highly innaccurate or subjective even somewhat rushed out of the window.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kyl Von Kull Magister

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Roxor, you poor dumb bastard. You must have some kind of martyr complex if you played this thing all the way through.

Good review, but please stop hurting yourself like this!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Daedalos Cipher The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Parrots:
    Good review, but overall not surprising. I kind of knew they were gonna fuck it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Parrots:
    And the Zionist Agenda is exposed.

Negotiations are on with Larian for neutral positive review.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    gimme them dolla dolla bills x 1

EDIT: ATTN: LARIAN STUDIOS, I'm serious. My integrity can be bought. I have a 1:1 or better ratio of brofists to posts without the aid of gambling. You want someone like me on your side.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Shilandra Educated

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    I think ill wait for some updates but ill probably end up getting this game anyway. I liked the first one so with some combat and itemization tweaks this one should be fun enough too.

Though the animal abuse is worrying. I liked stuff like saving the chicken in the first one. I hope it isn't too much of that stuff all over the game.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Has Darth Roxor finally jumped the shark? Oh yes he did.

• retadred x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The game quickly falls apart after you leave the first island. It just stops offering new challenges, instead of that it simply inflates the numbers of stats, for the player and for the enemies.

This isn't all that bad, considering you can spend about 50 hours in the first island alone, the problem is that the remaining 3/4 of the game are a banal slog with atrocious writing, which is a mix of teen mastrubatory literature and a 90s kids movie.

The repeating motif is that this game is not designed for the players' amusement but for the designers' convenience.

No new mechanics and challenges are introduced. Enemies teleport into the battlefield at preset places, which the player doesn't know the first time, but can abuse the knowledge every subsequent time he plays. Dull to play, easy to "design".

Enemies cheat with initiative. Dull to play, easy to "design", "balance".

Armor and HP are continuously inflated instead of the game offering new mechanics to make combat fun. Dull to play, easy to "design".

The fact that the camera is free to zoom and rotate is not used in any way for gameplay purposes by the quest designers. Instead of providing a fixed camera, and designing locations in such a way that can be played with a fixed camera, the designers have delegated to the player to do the work to rotate the camera around, so that they don't have to concern themselves with how to design locations better. Again, designer lazyness comes at a cost to the player.

For a "deep" RPG, you would expect the dialogues amount to more than "click through all the options". But I don't remember a single instance when my choices in dialogue averted combat, gave me more information than they may have otherwise, etc. Dull to play, but easy to throw together and consider your "design" work done.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He didn't.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Nah, he's just into hating this game. It's well known ;)
    It isn't that he's completely wrong - in fact, I agree with many criticisms. He is just - as you said - overly critical to the point of it being comedic.

The game is still quite fun to play, even if not as good as D:OS1 due to the really retarded armor system.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Shilandra Educated

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    So do classes and origins have no real reactivity? Not even token "hey, aren't you an [origin]? Cool. Here's what I was going to say anyway"

And I keep hearing about bloat and inflated stats. How do players keep up if items and skills go up by small incremental amounts? Is magic and abilities more powerful to compensate?

^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There is reactivity to character race and "tags" (incl. story background tags, like when you play The Red Prince for example), but I can't think of quest reactivity on the basis of what you chose to tell someone.

How players keep up - by raising their stat and skill levels as they level up (xp rewards are also continuously inflated) and by buying gear that progressively scales in its stats (for the higher damage/shield values).

The problem is that approaches to combat don't change between the first encounter in the game and the last. It's always "find which shield is lower-attack this shield-reduce health to zero once the "shield" HP is down".

There was one combat I remember as being more interesting, where I had to protect a character for multiple turns while we were being attacked both by enemies and by off-map enemies which I couldn't reach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    It's more or less what Tigranes said. On the one hand they are ramped up because there's a metric fuckton of them, but on the other they are dialed down because muh force fields.

Maybe it's cuz of the long break between playing and revioowan, but when I was writing it and opened the journal to scan for quests that were interesting or which I'd remember to be gud, nothing stood out :M so I opted not to mention it at all for safety reasons lest alzheimer's make me write INCORRECT, INAUTHENTIC FACTS.

im full of surprises

The problem is that every stat is the exact same (boring) thing but with a different name, so you are not dropping points into X, Y, Z but into Xa, Xb, Xc. With shit like this you might as well drop the character system altogether, and the game would probably be better off for it.

Oh this is actually a gr8 thing in itself that I didn't mention because I had no good place to squeeze it into.

Puzzles are solved by activating your Witcher Vision (tm) and following the superobvious cues it gives you.

I was writing this revio from the perspective of someone who knows the first game, so I didn't dwell too much on things near-identical to it, because it would just clog things up. If you skipped dos1 and are thus confoos, tough luck.

The problem is you're making blind choices based on an opaque (not "hidden") mechanic, while said choices can bar you from progressing in a quest. Because, from memory, multiple quests in DOS2 hinge on a single persuasion chokepoint somewhere, and if you fail that all you have left is going guns blazung.

and yet i dont give a list of combat skills either [​IMG]

also see an earlier point

this is not a review of all larian games

I see I must reiterate because mentioning this once was not enough:

A lot of people took offence to the silliness of DOS because it was badly written and badly placed. Divinity 2's ratio of lulz to epix is about equal to DOS1, but there it's inserted in just the right moments and written competently, so it's funny and not stupid (for fuck's sake it has power rangers). These "a lot of people" are focusing on the trees when there's a forest to be seen, but it's not exactly something uncommon.

I did in fact play DivDiv. You are correct that it's the most down to earth of the Larian games, but let's not forget that the first thing you encounter after leaving starter town is a black knight with an existential crisis.

I'd think at the very least the bit about animal abuse would be a good example of stupid grimdarkery.

Ah, the MCA in DOS2 meme. Spoiler, MCA didn't write shit for this game. He only came up with a backstory for one of the origin characters (Fane), but only that - he didn't even write it.

There's a question of taste, scale and competence. When it comes to taste, those bits are cringefests of the worst Biowarian kind. When it's scale, they are all over the place, and often unavoidable or coming out of the blue. As for competence, when a bit like this comes up, I shouldn't be shaking my head and thinking "what is wrong with you, writer", I should be thinking "that was fucked up, but p. cool". Clive Barker is fucked up but cool. DOS2 is a dog humping your leg.

hurr durr o u got me here

except i believe the hell-hamster doesn't ascribe any of the above qualities to dos1 and in fact explicitly states it's guilty of them too :philosoraptor:

how do you change playstyle and adapt to something that cant be adapted to and which leaves no room for playstyle changes other than trying to game it :prosper:

redding is teh hard

i wish

i dont know how i could be even more clear on the point that the character system is nothing more than insignificant +5% damage bonuses across the board which you could instead get automatically on level up as a global "ding! you now do +5% damage with everythang!" instead of giving you the illusion of being able to engage in deep rpg activities by dropping points somewhere

also this game does not have destructible environments

[​IMG]

oh yeah

and none of that is mentioned anywhere in the game too :^)

incorrect, you have 4 ap, actions typically cost 2, rarely 1 or 3, which means you will rarely do more than 2 things

meanwhile in dos1 you could stack up a lot of ap, conserve them through turns, etc, to gather a huge pool, while actions had a wide range of costs from 3 to 10, which could let you do a lot of things

incorrect, i never played lone wolves

too bad

except it isn't

the base of it is in dos1, but when dos2 just keeps going "ZOMG this is the armour of BRACCUS REX!!!", "ZOMG this is the bathroom of BRACCUS REX!!!", "ZOMG this guy was a servant of BRACCUS REX!!!" without anything else, then it's a problem with dos2 - because all I keep reading here is "this is the X of that unimportant boss monster who laughed a lot while throwing fireballs"

what a shame

this is what happens when nobody donates to my patreon

jumped the shark and rode the tiger

I do. If you douse the burning cursed piggus in Fort Goy, the undead lizard someone of BRACCUS REX!!! appears to ask wtf do you think you're doing. Successful [persuasion] lets you avoid the fight.

Not exactly. What you primarily have to constantly update and upgrade are new armour parts to increase your force fields, because otherwise you'll get steamrolled. So if you aren't playing someone reliant on weapon damage, like a ranger, you can in theory skip the magic wangs because you'll just keep spell spamming, but you can never consider skipping new armerz.

who wants some more

i've got enough bile for all of you

• Brofist x 43
    • Funny x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Goldfist x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)