Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Deus Ex: The Fall

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
By the way... I told him in a PM, but brofists to Infinitron for some good editing and pimp splash image.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Superb writing. Damning review. The Codex needs more of these two-fisted red-blooded he-man style game reviews. It made me want to eat my next steak raw.

The forces of popamole have floundered when their tiny toy clown car collided head on with the brick wall of truth.

Taking on Deus Ex is hugely ambitious. Failing in this catastrophic fashion could mean hurting the franchise in the future for people who are equipped to follow it up with a decent game. The scorn is well deserved for this atrocious train wreck.

Disgruntled

Savant
I couldnt make myself finish missing link, this thing does not appeal in the slightest. Im also finding myself more bothered by the piss filter as time goes on.

Ill forgive the devs if they continue trying with the next full release. It must be tempting to give up entirely with how the franchise is getting raped atm.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I understand the appeal for someone who liked Human Revolution, which happens to be the only AAA game I really enjoyed these last years, but being a bonus chapter for Human Revolution would have been infinitely better.

I thought of mentioning in the review that it would have been infinitely more worthwhile if they ported it into the "real" Human Revolution engine, killing some of the mobile port crap and improving the visuals. Then I sat there and thought no, not really, because the level design is the worst part of it, no matter how it looks or plays. They never would have done that much work anyway, of course, so it's a moot point.

I didn't mean for my review to be entirely uber-negative, however. If you are a super, slutty fan of Deus Ex there is something here for you, however gimped and retarded it might be.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
When you were talking about the level design being just rooms and corridors attached to each other, I have only learned enough recently to realise this isn't actually necessary on mobile.

I have seen the most amazing environments running off a single atlas. It is just a bit harder work. I assure you people more talented than I am can put very complex architecture on a 3GS with sufficient optimisation. Maybe this modular room and corridor boxing of the levels in this game is all the devs are capable of organising.

I have seen mobile titles that look like AAA shooters but the team really needs to understand the requirements. I have been trying hard to understand the medium and I think that Deus Ex could look nearly as good as the original on a tablet but it takes zero bullsh*t top flight designers to make it happen. Whenever I get discouraged I run a sample level here with 4000 triangles (about the size of a prop in most FPS shooters) with a single 2048x2048 atlas and you would swear this thing is running Crysis. The team that did it even shared some of their shaders and visual tricks with others so it is not like the information to do it isn't out there.

In case anybody says you were too hard on them. The whole game looked phoned in to me.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The voice acting is anything but fine, and sounds like a series of non-English speakers, coders, janitors, and dyslexic friends of the family all trying to pretend they know how to act without being given a second take

So it's like the first one from Ion Storm. Good to hear that :troll:.

Enemy bodies also vanish after a short time, in a weird cyberspace kind of digital fadeout effect (is this whole thing a simulation or what?)

I remember playing Dishonored for the first time, with no-lethal approach and was surprised when I visited some older parts of one level. No bodies, what the hell happened? I thought they managed to get up or someone helped them. But it was due to the consoles limitations, trolling me effectively.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shit game, shit review, shit poster.

I mean it :mad:

I understand the appeal for someone who liked Human Revolution, which happens to be the only AAA game I really enjoyed these last years, but being a bonus chapter for Human Revolution would have been infinitely better.

It looks like it is essentially that, only on another platform.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember playing Dishonored for the first time, with no-lethal approach and was surprised when I visited some older parts of one level. No bodies, what the hell happened? I thought they managed to get up or someone helped them. But it was due to the consoles limitations, trolling me effectively.

That can be fixed: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dishonored#Stop_bodies_from_disappearing

From the brofists I gather that some people didn't even know about it. It should be patched in the pc version, with in-game options to change these things. I'll tinker with the game for my bloody replay.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only laugh better than the one I got from the splash image was the one I got from the image of the "beer drone". :lol: Great work felipepepe and DalekFlay.

AngryKobold

Arcane
10935.jpg

I find the rape face of she- troll somewhat disturbing. She's got something nasty down there, either real or plastic one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom