Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Deus Ex: The Fall

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deus Ex: The Fall; Eidos Montreal; Square Enix

Back in 2011, Eidos Montreal, a Quebecois development studio owned by Japanese publisher Square Enix, released Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a sequel/prequel to the long-dormant Deus Ex series. Although it had its share of detractors, it can be said that Human Revolution surprised gamers worldwide by actually being fairly decent. Unfortunately, our hopes that the world had acquired a new good-for-what-is AAA game developer were dashed when Eidos Montreal proceeded to "restore balance to the force" by sodomizing the Thief franchise. But still, not all was lost! The core Deus Ex team at Eidos, consisting of individuals such as charismatic art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête ("JJB") and talented narrative designer Mary DeMarle, were not involved with Thief. No, they were working on a new Deus Ex title, a title that would surely be revealed soon...

Well, fortunately, that turned out to be true. Unfortunately, it turned out that what they were working on was Deus Ex: The Fall, an iOS-exclusive mobile game. Released last July, The Fall was subsequently ignored by every gamer smart enough to know that you don't play shooters on a tablet, a description that happens to fit most of the Deus Ex fanbase. I have no idea how well it actually sold on Apple's platform, but as it happens, the game was pushed to Android in January, before finally finding its way to PC last week. Now fully within our sphere of attention, we realized that we had to bite the bullet and give Deus Ex: The Fall a closer look. Expecting the worst, but hoping for at least some redeeming qualities, we dispatched our Expert On Popamole Affairs, DalekFlay, to play the game and write a report on his findings.

Without further ado, I present...

10935.jpg

A Review by DalekFlay

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Deus Ex: The Fall

Monty

Arcane
It's comforting to know that the Codex has an "Expert On Popamole Affairs™", playing these games so we don't have to.

Anyway, good review DalekFlay. :salute:

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Still waiting for a fix for the broken director's cut that I paid for before I buy any more square enix products. (Not that I would ever spend money on a piece of shit ipad port)

Septaryeth

Augur
Still waiting for a fix for the broken director's cut that I paid for before I buy any more square enix products. (Not that I would ever spend money on a piece of shit ipad port)

Might as well give up or look for fix on online communities.
SE don't wipe their ass for broken products. Several of their games still have serious incompatibilities with certain graphic cards and they still haven't get a patch.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Installed it on my tablet to see if it's better than PC version.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I played this one from start to finish. I knew the mechanics would be clunky and shitty but I was hoping it might have a tiny, lambent light at the end of the tunnel in the form of good choices or good plot. Unfortunately, it was just as bad, if not worse. 90% of the game is spent looking for sweet drugs to score as you wade through filthy, scummy prole slums, and the ending consists
'that guy who died in front of your eyes is alive! wow'
Most of the side quests were seemingly irrelevant to the player character and offered nothing in terms of the plot. At least in HR, some of the side-quests were woven into the plot, and the ones that didn't at least dealt with Jensen's past or connections during his time as a cop. The side-quests for The Fall felt more like every degenerate in the world coming to you with their own pointless problems and and expecting you to accept because you don't have anything else to do anyway.

As the OP stated, most of the choices have absolutely no consequences.
I remember accepting the Riezene shot from the doctor, and subsequently hearing about the overdoses and deaths associated with it at every turn, yet it had no impact at all on the game. Even worse, Saxon didn't even seem to give a fuck; he never once mentioned anything resembling concern about taking it.
The characters themselves are cringe-worthy stereotypes or just plain boring, and the acting makes everything even worse. There are some areas that feel like they could be good if they were planned out properly, which is maybe the only positive I can think of.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice review DalekFlay. I was expecting a different line of discussion and conclusion altogether. Now I know this is not worth my time and money.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I enjoyed writing it.

I never thought I would ask for a custom title before but "Expert On Popamole Affairs™" is pretty hilarious.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I wanted to rant about DalekFlay being a gigantic faggot, but now I can't. A good read, informative, unapologetic and to the point.

Except that it's fucking infuriating when people say "Deus Ex" when they actually want to say "Human Revolution". Die in a fire, DalekFlay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom