Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Dead State

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading comprehension, dumbass. I know you don't have much in the way of brains, but do you not have eyes either?
Honestly, I skimmed most of your post. Seeing about 80% insults didn't really inspire me to dig deep. I did see the part about how you agree that terrible balance ruins the challenge. Looking it over again, I don't see anything else "substantiative" except that you don't like my style. Maybe someday I'll learn to live with the heartbreak.

The "review-reading public" argument is a crock of shit on the RPG Codex
Oh, so they already know it's a low-budget indie? In that case my qualifier may not have been necessary, and our shared expectations will make my subjective observations all the more informative. Still, I think the qualifier adds a nice touch. A buddy of mine got a good laugh out of the eyegasm/brofist line. And it's even possible that other people will read the review. There was a time when even a great Codex authority like you got your first taste. Hard to imagine, but true.

and your low standards for a game that was kickstarted for over $300K with early access funding, etc. on top of that may just be your problem.
Ooooh, 300K, huh? You're right, that
is a Pixar level graphics budget. Don't know what I was thinking.

No, if anything you are getting worse. Your inability to respond to the substantiative aspects of my post coupled with this pathetic attempt to ridicule the tone of my post only betrays your general cowardice and incompetence.
So ... you don't like my style. I think I'm beginning to get the message. Well, what if I don't like your style? Did you ever think about that? Huh??

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I shall assist Zombra by cutting out the core of Absinthe's argument as I see it:

Let me put this in perspective for you: "The Outdoorsman skill in Fallout 1 is great! I just wish the game would actually give you meaningful opportunities to benefit from it." If that sounds retarded, that's because it is. A normal person would just say "Outdoorsman sucks, doesn't really do anything, don't invest in it." You could also say "Fallout's Outdoorsman skill shows promise in theory but in reality it is worthless." Talking about the concept is great. But actually evaluating the game on the concept is retarded. When we want to know if a game is good, we don't ask ourselves "in some hypothetical other game out there, could this system/idea/etc. be great?" No, we are not judging your hypothetical other game. The question is "In the actual fucking game we have in front of us, how well does this shit matter and function?" And there is a lot of this shit-tier "lets praise the concept in the pros column while putting the actual experience in the cons column" type evaluation in your review which is completely fucking disingenuous and stupid. The practical, end-user experience is what actually matters when we ask ourselves if a game is worth buying.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Someone (not me) buy Absinthe a copy of Dead State so he can make a counter-review.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Codex reviews are all over the place in terms of quality, this shouldn't be the case in a prestigious online magazine.

This means we lack a strong editorial hand, writers after all are whiny entitled little bitches that need to be told their work is shit, else they wont grow out of the silly misconception that they are inspired by God to subject the rest of us to their inane thoughts.

I blame the codex, not zombra for this mediocrity.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I shall assist Zombra by cutting out the core of Absinthe's argument as I see it:
Let me put this in perspective for you: "The Outdoorsman skill in Fallout 1 is great! I just wish the game would actually give you meaningful opportunities to benefit from it." If that sounds retarded, that's because it is. A normal person would just say "Outdoorsman sucks, doesn't really do anything, don't invest in it." You could also say "Fallout's Outdoorsman skill shows promise in theory but in reality it is worthless." Talking about the concept is great. But actually evaluating the game on the concept is retarded. When we want to know if a game is good, we don't ask ourselves "in some hypothetical other game out there, could this system/idea/etc. be great?" No, we are not judging your hypothetical other game. The question is "In the actual fucking game we have in front of us, how well does this shit matter and function?" And there is a lot of this shit-tier "lets praise the concept in the pros column while putting the actual experience in the cons column" type evaluation in your review which is completely fucking disingenuous and stupid. The practical, end-user experience is what actually matters when we ask ourselves if a game is worth buying.
Nice one.

Yeah, the "Fallout's Outdoorsman skill shows promise in theory but in reality it is worthless." is probably the approach I would take - and I took - in my review.

As for "evaluating the game on the concept" - where did I do that? Where did I say, "Dead State is objectively a good game"? Or anything close? Oh right, not enough frowny face.

The practical, end-user experience is what actually matters when we ask ourselves if a game is worth buying.
Did you read the end part? You know, where I advised you as to whether it is worth buying? Based on the practical, end-user experience? Jesus Christ.

Zombra

Patron
Zombra, just read my entire fucking post before you embarrass yourself any further.
Eh. I've had a long week. If you can sum up in an informational style instead of an attack style, I'll give it a shot. Not really interested in reading you saying fucking idiot 200 more times. Boil it down.

EG

Nullified
Zombra, just read my entire fucking post before you embarrass yourself any further.
Eh. I've had a long week. If you can sum up in an informational style instead of an attack style, I'll give it a shot. Not really interested in reading you saying fucking idiot 200 more times. Boil it down.
"Pick a side and argue for it exclusively" is all I got out of it. Typical highschool English tact.

Pointless ranting:
Though Outdoorsman was shit in Fallout 1 (unless you wanted to quickly see all the positive random encounters), it was rather useful in Fallout 2, assuming you wanted to transverse large parts of the map, alone or at a low level, without getting owned by massive spawns. It also affected combat placement (being in the center of said pack is bad), didn't it?

Thus, Outdoorsman can be a poor example of a shit skill, depending on the context it's used.

Absinthe

Arcane
It's already boiled down. Learn to handle some swearing. If you're not in the mood to respond right now, take your time. There's no deadline.

:rpgcodex:

EG

Nullified
It's already boiled down. Learn to handle some swearing. If you're not in the mood to respond right now, take your time. There's no deadline.
D'aw, someone is feelin' shy. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zombra Maybe all of this could have been avoided by simply swapping the phrase "well-designed" with something with a less "evaluatory" connotation. "Interestingly designed", perhaps.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Zombra Perhaps all of this could have been avoided by simply swapping the phrase "well-designed" with something with a less "evaluatory" connotation. "Interestingly designed", perhaps.
Who reads and edits these reviews for the codex? Is there any back and forth between prestigious game magazine editorial staff and pretentious reviewer or is it just click submit and go with it?

Absinthe

Arcane
Thus, Outdoorsman can be a poor example of a shit skill, depending on the context it's used.
I believe I said When we want to know if a game is good, we don't ask ourselves "in some hypothetical other game out there, could this system/idea/etc. be great?" No, we are not judging your hypothetical other game. The question is "In the actual fucking game we have in front of us, how well does this shit matter and function?" Following my point, praising Outdoorsman because of Fallout 2 in the context of evaluating Fallout 1 is a good example of wrongly judging a mechanic by the game you wish you were playing rather than the game you are actually playing.

So yes, we agree that it depends on the context in which it's used. My point was precisely that a review should be true to its context.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm not even sure if the game will benefit from increased difficulty as zombie encounters are so uninteresting that they feel more like doing work rather than having fun with a game. Usually I would just leave my team and two-shot them by picking one by one with my melee character, which is a lot faster, and be done with it.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
This means we lack a strong editorial hand.

No. What this means (and honest to fucking christ this is all it means) is that this is not a curated magazine but an internet forum which happens to be incapable of agreeing on any given subject at any given time with sprinklings of people who just don't give a shit.

Crispy said:
Your comments to Zombra about his excellent review of Dead State were ruse (sic), unnecessary, and frankly quite unvecoming (sic) of whom I would normally consider to be a reasonable person.
Crispy white-knighting mediocre shit yet again. Sounds like Alpha Protocol all over again.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The above was a conversation that was occurring in Shoutbox. Once again FSM the little bitch has to come running to the rest of Codex for his rescue.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The above was a conversation that was occurring in Shoutbox. Once again FSM the little bitch has to come running to the rest of Codex for his rescue.
Didn't you have someone prosperized recently for being mean to you?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No. What this means (and honest to fucking christ this is all it means) is that this is not a curated magazine but an internet forum which happens to be incapable of agreeing on any given subject at any given time with sprinklings of people who just don't give a shit.
The forum is one thing, site content is another thing altogether. Shit like Neogaf, are forums and land directly there, while someone visiting the codex is partaking in a vast array of content, from interviews, to reviews, to news and the forums.

A site like ours should worry on presenting a polished reading experience for viewers, regardless of those people wanting to visit, or not, the fascist cesspool of GD.

So yes, we should have a competent editor making sure the shit the codex (site), produces has quality not only writing wise but clarity wise, something this review sorely lacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom